Search engine optimisation versus Website usability-conflicting requirements?
Visser, E.B. & Weideman, M.
Information Research, 16(3) paper 493.
Visser, E.B. & Weideman, M. 2011. Search engine optimisation versus Website usability-conflicting requirements? Information Research, 16(3) paper 493. Online: http://InformationR.net/ir/16-3/paper493.html
Introduction. The objective of this research was to prove that implementing search engine optimisation elements that are in contradiction to Website usability attributes is essential to improve rankings.
Method. Three Websites were used: the control Website was used for benchmarking purposes; the experimental Website was created to conduct additional experiments for Website usability and triangulation purposes; and experimental Website two integrated all on-page search engine optimisation elements but ignored all contradictory Website usability attributes.
Analysis. Quantitative statistical analysis was conducted on the data by means of the univariate analysis of variance test, the linear regression analysis and the Kruskal-Wallis test.
Results. Experiments indicated that the implementation of search engine optimisation elements is essential to improve rankings and that Website usability attributes are essential to increase conversions (such as purchases) and thus return on investment.
Conclusions. We confirm that on-page search engine optimisation elements have a direct impact on how commercial search engines interpret Web pages in terms of ranking. Secondly, search engine optimisation elements that are in contradiction to Website usability were identified. Finally, we conclude that the application of both search engine optimisation elements and Website usability attributes are essential for maximising conversion generation.
- Bade, D. (2007). Relevancy ranking is not relevance ranking or, when the user is not the user, the search results are not search results. Online Information Review,
- Barnard, L. & Wesson, J.L. (2003). Usability issues for e-commerce in South Africa: an empirical investigation. In IT research in developing countries: proceedings of the
Annual Research Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT), Pretoria, South Africa, 17-19 September 2003
(pp. 258-267). Pretoria, South Africa: SAICSIT.
- Carpineto, C., Osinski, S., Romano, G. & Weiss, D. (2009). A survey of Web clustering engines. ACM Computing Surveys, 41(3), 17.1-17.38.
- Cutts, M. (2010). Google incorporating site speed in search rankings. Retrieved on 27 January 2011 from http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/site-speed/ (Archived by
WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zGEnJMl)
- Eisenberg, B., Quarto-von Tivadar, J., Davis, L.T. & Crosby, B. (2008). Always be testing: the complete guide to Google Website optimizer. Indianapolis, IN: Sybex.
- Enser, P.G.B., Sandom, C.J., Hare, J.S. & Lewis, P.H. (2007). Facing the reality of semantic image retrieval. Journal of Documentation, 63(4), 465-481.
- Feng, J., Bhargava, H.K. & Pennock, D.M. (2007). Implementing sponsored search in Web search engines: computational evaluation of alternative mechanisms. Journal of
Computing, 19(1), 137-148.
- George, C.A. (2005). Usability testing and design of a library Website: an interactive approach. OCLC System & Services, 21(3), 167-180.
- Google. (2009). Traffic drops and site architecture issues. Retrieved on 1 February 2011 from http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/06/traffic-drops-and-site-
architecture_29.html (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zGotnDq)
- Google. (2010a). Webmaster guidelines. Retrieved on 7 February 2011 from http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769#3 (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zH9S0uB)
- Google. (2010b). Little or no original content. Retrieved on 30 January 2011 from https://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66361 (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zqSVGkm)
- Google Analytics. (2011). What does bounce rate mean?. Retrieved on 31 January 2011 from http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?
hl=en&answer=81986 (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zqcrMq6)
- Green, D. (2000). The evolution of Web searching. Online Information Review, 24(2), 124-137.
- Jacsó, P. (2008). How many Web-wide search engines do we need? Online Information Review, 32(6), 860-865.
- Jerkovic, J.I. (2010). SEO warrior. Sebastopol: O'Reilly Media.
- Johnson, J. (2007). GUI bloopers 2.0: common user interface design don'ts and dos (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann.
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. (2008). Finding the synergy: search engine optimization vs. website usability. In Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on World
Wide Web Applications, Cape Town, South Africa, 3-5 September 2008. Retrieved on 13 July 2011 from http://www.book-visibility.com/download.php?AID=168&UID=6
(Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zI33f18)
- Krug, S. (2006). Don't make me think!: a common sense approach to Web usability. Berkeley, CA: New Riders Press.
- Lencastre, J.A. & Chaves, J.H. (2008). A usability evaluation of educational Websites. Retrieved on 6 February 2011 from http://www.eadtu.nl/conference-
2008/Proceedings/NT%20-%20Lencastre%20-%20Usability%20evaluation%20of%20educational%20websites.pdf (Archived by WebCite® at
- Live. (2010). Guidelines for successful indexing. Retrieved on 30 January 2011 from http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/bing/hh204434.aspx (Archived by WebCite® at
- Lynn, A.L. (2006). Detecting spam documents in a phrase based information retrieval system [Patent application]. Retrieved on 6 February 2011 from
(Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zrx4nbt)
- Machill, M., Neuberger, C. & Schindler, F. (2003). Transparency on the net: function and deficiencies of the Internet search engine. Info, 5(1), 52-72.
- Mandl, T. (2007). The impact of Website structure on link analysis. Internet Research, 17(2), 196-206.
- Moran, M. & Hunt, B. (2005). Search engine marketing, Inc.: driving search traffic to your company's Web site. New York: IBM Press.
- Murphy, H.C. & Kielgast, C.D. (2008). Do small and medium-sized hotels exploit search engine marketing? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management
- Neethling, R. (2008). Search engine optimisation or paid placement system-user preference. (Unpublished MTech thesis). Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape
Town, South Africa.
- Nielsen, J. (2003). Usability 101: introduction to usability. Retrieved on 30 January 2011 from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030825.html (Archived by WebCite® at
- Nielsen, J. & Loranger, H. (2006). Prioritizing Web usability. Berkeley, CA: New Riders Press.
- Nielsen, J. & Loranger, H. (2010). Eyetracking Web usability. Berkeley, CA: New Riders Press.
- Qi, X. & Davison, B.D. (2009). Web page classification: features and algorithms. ACM Computing Surveys, 41(2), 12.1-12.31.
- Smullen, M. & O'Riordan, C. (2007). An attempt to enhance performance in user session based information retrieval. Artificial Intelligence Review, 26, 11-21.
- Sullivan, D. (2010). Chitika: Bing passes Yahoo! in search market share. Retrieved on 27 January 2011 from http://searchengineland.com/chitika-bing-passes-yahoo-in-
search-market-share-48678 (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zsTmU7q)
- Thelwall, M. (2005). Link analysis: an information science approach. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Thurow, S. (2003). Search engine visibility. Indianapolis, IN: New Riders Press.
- Thurow, S. (2010a). Keywords, aboutness & SEO. Retrieved on 6 February 2011 from http://searchengineland.com/keywords-aboutness-seo-49210 (Archived by WebCite®
- Thurow, S. (2010b). Deadly sins against SEO: part 1. Retrieved on 27 January 2011 from http://searchengineland.com/deadly-sins-against-seo-part-1-37625 (Archived by
WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zt1itNT)
- Visser, E.B. (2007). Search engine optimisation elements' effect on Website visibility: the Western Cape real estate SMME sector. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa. Wall, A. (2007). Lower keyword focus to improve search engine rankings. Retrieved on 25 January 2011 from http://searchengineland.com/lower-keyword-focus-to-
improve-search-engine-rankings-11951 (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60ztBm6Dm)
- Wang, X. & Huang, W. (2009). Lund University Website evaluation: focus on homepage and English research pages. Unpublished Master's thesis, Lund University, Lund, Sweden. Website Standards Association. (2008). Business Website usability and search engine optimisation guidelines. Retrieved on 4 February 2011 from
- Weideman, M. & Strümpfer, C. (2004). The effect of search engine keyword choice and demographics features on Internet searching success. Information Technology and
Libraries, 23(2), 58-65. Weideman, M. (2009). Website visibility: the theory and practice of improving rankings. Oxford: Chandos Publishers.
- Yahoo! (2010). Yahoo! search content quality guidelines. Retrieved on 1 February 2011 from http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/basics/basics-18.html (Archived by
WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/60zuXcCke)
- Yang, C., Yang, K. & Yuan, H. (2007). Improving the search process through ontology-based adaptive semantic search. The Electronic Library, 25(2), 234-248.