The crossover point between keyword rich website text and spamdexing.
Zuze, H. 2011. The crossover point between keyword rich website text and spamdexing. Research thesis 100%, full time, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town. Graduated 16 September. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.2880.9848
With over a billion Internet users surfing the Web daily in search of information, buying, selling and accessing social networks, marketers focus intensively on developing websites that are appealing to both the searchers and the search engines. Millions of webpages are submitted each day for indexing to search engines. The success of a search engine lies in its ability to provide accurate search results. Search engines’ algorithms constantly evaluate websites and webpages that could violate their respective policies. For this reason some websites and webpages are subsequently blacklisted from their index. Websites are increasingly being utilised as marketing tools, which result in major competition amongst websites. Website developers strive to develop websites of high quality, which are unique and content rich as this will assist them in obtaining a high ranking from search
engines. By focusing on websites of a high standard, website developers utilise search
engine optimisation (SEO) strategies to earn a high search engine ranking. From time to time SEO practitioners abuse SEO techniques in order to trick the search engine algorithms, but the algorithms are programmed to identify and flag these techniques as spamdexing. Search engines do not clearly explain how they interpret keyword stuffing (one form of spamdexing) in a webpage. However, they regard spamdexing in many different ways and do not provide enough detail to clarify what crawlers take into consideration when interpreting the spamdexing status of a website. Furthermore, search engines differ in the way that they interpret spamdexing, but offer no clear quantitative evidence for the crossover point of keyword dense website text to spamdexing. Scholars have indicated different views in respect of spamdexing, characterised by different keyword density measurements in the
body text of a webpage. This raised several fundamental questions that form the basis of this research. This research was carried out using triangulation in order to determine how the scholars, search engines and SEO practitioners interpret spamdexing. Five websites with varying keyword densities were designed and submitted to Google, Yahoo! and Bing. Two phases of the experiment were done and the results were recorded. During both phases almost all of the webpages, including the one with a 97.3% keyword density, were indexed. The aforementioned enabled this research to conclusively disregard the keyword stuffing issue, blacklisting and any form of penalisation. Designers are urged to rather concentrate on usability and good values behind building a website. The research explored the fundamental contribution of keywords to webpage indexing and visibility. Keywords used with or without an optimum level of measurement of richness and poorness result in website ranking and indexing. However, the focus should be on the way in which the end user would interpret the content displayed, rather than how the search engine would react towards the content. Furthermore, spamdexing is likely to scare away potential clients and end users instead of embracing them, which is why the time spent on spamdexing should rather be used to produce quality content.
- Abernethy, J., Chapelle, O. & Castillo, C. 2009. WITCH: Web spam identification through content and hyperlinks. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web (AIRWeb '08), Bejing, China, 22 April 2008: 1-23.
- Abernethy, J., Chapelle, O.& Castillo, C. 2010. The Graph Regularization Methods for Web Spam Detection. Journal Machine Learning - ML, 81(2):207-225.
- Alimohammadi, D. 2003. Meta-tag: A means to control the process of Web indexing. Online Information Review, 27(4): 238-242.
- Angrosino, M. 2007. Doing Ethnographic and Observational Research: The SAGE Qualitative Research Kit. London: SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Apexpacific, 2010. SEO Suite: How long does it take to have my website indexed? http://www.apexpacific.com/knowledgebase/submission/faqdetail.asp?id=8 [25 November 2010].
- Appleton, R. 2010. Are Spam Tactics Stopping Your Site From Reaching Its Rankings Potential? http://www.searchmarketingstandard.com/spam-tactics-stopping-site-reaching-rankings- potential [19 April 2010].
- Axandra. 2008. Proven Methods for successful Search Engine Marketing (SEO). http://www.scribd.com/doc/25413811/search-engine-mktg [15 April 2010].
- Bartow, A. 2010. The future of Internet and how to stop it, by Jonathan Zittrain (Book Review). Michigan Law Review, 108(6):1079-1093.
- Beel, J. & Gipp, B. 2010a. Academic Search Engine Spam and Google Scholar's Resilience Against it. The Journal of electronic publishing, 13(3). http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text- idx?c=jep;view=text;rgn=main;idno=3336451.0013.305 [21 January 2011].
- Beel, J. & Gipp, B. 2010b. On the Robustness of Google Scholar Against Spam. In Proceedings of the 21st ACM Conference on Hyptertext and Hypermedia (HT 10), Toronto, Canada, 13 - 16 June 2010:297-298.
- Benczur, A.A., Erdelyi, M., Masanes, J.& Siklosi, D. 2009. Web Spam Challenge Proposal for Filtering in Archives. In Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web (AIRWeb2009), Madrid, Spain, 21 - 21 April 2009:61-62.
- Bing. 2010a. Bing central home page. http://www.bing.com/ [22 October 2010]. Bing. 2010b. Bing Site Submission Console.
http://www.bing.com/Webmaster/SubmitSitePage.aspx [10 October 2010]. Bing. 2011. Guidelines for successful indexing.
http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=wl_Webmasters [15 February 2011]. Blanche, T.M., Durrheim, K. & Painter, D. 2006. Research in Practice: Applied Methods for
Social Sciences. Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press.
- Bless, C., Smith, H.C. & Kagee, A. 2006. Fundamentals of Social Research Methods: An
African Perspective. Cape Town: Juta & Co. Ltd. 118
- Borchardt, J. & Weideman, M. 2008. A theoretical discussion of the role the use of images and videos play in the achievement if top search ranking. Working Paper, Munich University of Applied Science, Munich. http://dk.cput.ac.za/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1052&context=inf_papers. [15 November 2010].
- Borglum, K. 2009. Getting your website to show up in search ranking. (Practice Management Q&A), Medical Economics, GALE, 86(14):30.
- Bowman, J. L. 2004. Optimization with keywords. http://spiderfood.net/keywords.html [09 June 2010].
- Bruemmer, P. 2001a. SEO and the Web Design Process. http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/1706004/seo-web-site-design-process. [05 August 2010].
- Bruemmer, P. 2001b. Understanding the Power of Search engine marketing. http://www.clickz.com/search/opt/article.php/909181 [05 August 2010].
- Canel, F. 2010. Bingbot, the Sequel. http://www.webownertools.com/2010/09/29/bingbot-the- sequel/ [12 October 2010].
- Castillo, C., Chellapilla, K. & Davison B.D. 2008. Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web (AIRWeb’07). ACM SIGIR Forum, 42(1):68-72.
- Castillo, C. Gyongyi, Z. Jatowt, A. & Tanaka, K. 2011. Joint WICOW/AIRWeb Workshop on Web Quality (WebQuality 2011). In Proceedings of the Joint WICOW/AIRWeb Workshop on Web Quality (WebQuality 2011) In conjuction with 20th international World Wide Web Conference, Hyderabad, India, 28 March - 1 April 2011:313-314.
- Charlesworth, A. 2009. Internet Marketing: A practical approach. Oxford: Butterworth- Heinemann Publishing.
- Chen, L. 2010. Using a two-stage technique to design a keyword suggestion system. Information Research (IR), 15(1). http://informationr.net/ir/15-1/paper425.html [10 April 2011].
- Cho, A. 2008. What is Web 3.0?: The Next Generation Web: Search Context for Online Information. http://www.suite101.com/content/what-is-web-30-a61407. [21 October 2010].
- Clay, B. 2009. How search engines define spam. http://seotoolset.com/information/antispam.html [15 April 2010].
- Clay, B. & Esparza, S. 2009. Search Engine Optimization All-In-One for Dummies. Hoboken, New Jesrsey: Wiley Publishing Inc.
- Corazzon, R. 2009. Theory and history of ontology: A resource guide for philosophers. http://www.formalontology.it/ [24 June 2010].
- Crowell, G. 2004. Search Engine Watch: Retaining traffic after website redesign. http://Searchenginewatch.com/article/2065265/Retaining-Traffic-after-a-Web-Site-Redesign. [10 September 2010].
- Curran, K. 2004. Tips for achieving high positioning in the results pages of the major search engines. Information Technology Journal, 3(2):202-205.
- CyberWyre. 2006. Highest paying AdSense keywords. http://www.cwire.org/2006/03/23/ updatedhighest-paying-adsense-keywords [21 September 2010].
- Dai, N., Davison, B.D. & Qi, X. 2009. Looking into the past to better classify web spam.
Proceedings of the 5th international workshop on Adversarial information retrieval on the web (AIRWeb 2009), Madrid, Spain, 21 April 2009:1-8. http://airweb.csclehigh.edu/2009/papers/pl-dai.pdf [20 April 2011].
Knowzit, Y. 2009. Ontology Vs Epistemology . http://yemovonknowzit.blogspot.com/ [22 August 2011].
- DeJarnette, R. 2009. Search Engine Optimization for Bing. http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/Webmaster/archive/2009/09/03/search-engine- optimization-for-bing.aspx [11 October 2010].
- Dejarnette, R. 2010. Chasing the long tail with keyword research (SEM 101). http://www.bing.com/toolbox/blogs/Webmaster/archive/2010/02/25/chasing-the-long-tail-with- keyword-research-sem-101.aspx [11 October 2010].
- East, P. 2007. Search Engine Marketing: A 40-minute primer on using search engines to grow your business, MedicBD Health. http://www.slideshare.net/hanapinmarketing/search- engine-marketing-a-40minute-primer-on-using-search-engines-to-grow-your-business- presentation [15 January 2011].
- Egele, M., Kolbitsch, C. & Platzer, C. 2009. Removing web spam links from search engine results. Journal in Computer Virology, 7(1):51-62.
- Eisenberg, B., Quarto-vonTivadar, J., Davis, L.T. & Crosby, B. 2008. Always be testing: The complete guide to Google website optimizer. Sybex: Indianapolis.
- Erdelyi, E., Benczur, A.A. , Masanes, J. & Siklosi, D. 2009. Web spam filtering in internet archives. Proceedings of the 5th international workshop on Adversarial information retrieval on the web (AIRWeb 2009), Madrid, Spain, 21 April 2009:17-20.
- Erdelyi, M., Garzo, A. & Benczur, A.A. 2011. Web spam classification: a few features worth more. In Joint WICOW/AIRWeb Workshop on Web Quality (WebQuality 2011) In conjunction with the 20th International World Wide Web Conference, Hyderabad, India, 28 March 2011: 27-35.
- Featherstone, M., Adam, S. & Borstorff, P. 2009. A methodology for extracting quasi-random samples from World Wide Web domains. Journal of International Business Research, 8(1):63-67. http://www.gale.cengage.com [10 September 2010].
- Fiol-Roig, G., Miró-julià, M. & Herraiz, E. 2011. Data Mining Techniques for Web Page Classification. Advanced in Intelligent and Soft Computing, 89:61-69.
- Fox, W. & Bayat, S.M. 2007. A guide to Managing Research. Cape Town: Juta & Co Ltd. George, D. 2005. The ABC of SEO: Search Engine Optimization Strategies. Morrisville: Lulu
- Goldsborough, R. 2005. Get your site noticed without spamming (Personal Computing).
Black Issues in Higher Education, 21(26):40-42.
- Google. 2008a. Technology overview. http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html [09 September 2010].
- Google. 2008b. What's an SEO? Does Google recommend working with companies that offer to make my site Google-friendly? http://www.google.com/support/Webmasters/bin [09 September 2010].
- Google. 2010a. Google central home page. http://www.google.co.za/ [22 October 2010]. Google. 2010c. Google Site submission console.
http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl [10 October 2010].
- Google. 2010d. Webmaster Guidelines and Keyword stuffing http://www.google.com/support/Webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66358 [15 February 2011].
- Google. 2010e. Google Webmaster Central. http://google.com/support/Webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66358 [15 April 2010].
- Gori, M. & Witten, I. 2005. The Bubble of the Web Visibility: Promoting visibility as seen through the unique lens of search engines, Technical Opinion. Communication of the ACM, 48(3):115-117.
- Jacoby, G. A. & Luqi. 2007. Intranet model and metrics. Communications of the ACM, 50(2):43-50. http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2007/2/5736-intranet-model-and- metrics/abstract [16 August 2010].
- Guang-Gang Geng, Z., Jin, X. & Zhang, D. 2011. Evaluating web content quality via multi- scale features. In Proceedings of the Joint WICOW/AIRWeb Workshop on Web Quality (WebQuality 2011) In conjuction with 20th international World Wide Web Conference, Hyderabad, India, 28 March 2011:18-24.
- Gyongyi, Z. & Garcia-Molina, H. 2005. Web spam taxonomy. In Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web (AIRWeb2005) Held in conjunction with the 14th International World Wide Web Conference, Chiba, Japan, 10 May 2005:39-47. http//ilpubs.stanford.edu:8090/771/2005-9.pdf. [25 April 2011].
- Hayati, P. & Potdar, V. 2009. Evaluation of Spam Detection and Prevention Frameworks for Email and Image Spam - A State of Art. Digital Ecosystems and Business Intelligence (DEBI) Institute Curtin University of Technology. http://debii.curtin.edu.au/~pedram/research/1- webspam/76-evaluation-of-spam-detection-and-prevention-frameworks-for-email-and-image- spam-a-state-of-art.html [19 January 2011].
- Henzinger, M. R., Motwani, R. & Silverstein, C. 2002. Challenges in Web Search Engines. ACM SIGIR Forum, 36(2):1-12. http://ijcai.org/Past%20Proceedings/IJCAI-2003/PDF/278.pdf [18 March 2011].
- Hotho, A., Benz, D., Jaschke, R. & Krause, B. (editors). 2008. Proceedings of the Workshop at 18th Europ. Conf. on Machine Learning ECML'08 / 11th Europ. Conf. on Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases PKDD'08, 2008, Antwerp, Belgium, 15-19 September 2008.
- IIer, H. 2006. Maximizing Visibility for Multilingual Websites. Ontario: Wintranslation.com. http://www.sempo.org/resource/resmgr/Docs/wintranslation_for_SEMPO.pdf. [15 April 2010].
- Internet World Stats organization. 2010a. Internet Usage and World Population Statistics. http://www.Internetworldstats.com/stats.htm [07 September 2010].
- Jerkovic, I. J. 2009. SEO Warrior. Sebastopol, Canada: O`REILLY Media.Inc. Johnson, J. 2007. GUI Bloopers 2.0: Common User Interface Design Dont’s and Dos.
Morgan Kaufmann: San Francisco.
- Kassotis, C. 2009. Keyword Stuffing and Anchor Text - Mortal Enemies! Article Submission Directory, Information Resource, RSS Syndication. http://www.easyarticlesubmit.com/Article/Keyword-Stuffing-and-Anchor-Text--Mortal- Enemies/193162 [01 April 2011].
- Kennedy, D. 2009. Broadening search: new tools, approaches raise the question: is Google enough? ABA Journal, November 95(11):28. http://www.gale.cengage.com [10 September 2010].
- Kimura, M., Saito, K. & Sato, S. 2005. Detecting Search Engine Spam from a Trackback Network in Blogspace. Proceedings of the 9th KES International Conference on Knowledge- Based & Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems (KES2005), Australia, Melbourne, 14- 16 September 2005:723-729.
- Krause, B., Schmitz, C., Hotho, A. & Stumme, G. 2008. The Anti-Social Tagger - Detecting Spam in Social. Bookmarking Systems. Proceeding AIRWeb '08 Proceedings of the 4th international workshop on Adversarial information retrieval on the web (AIRWeb 2008), Beijing, China, 22 April 2008:61-68.
- Kritzinger, W.T. 2005. The Effect Webpage Body Keyword Location has on Ranking in Search Engine Results study: An Empirical. Unpublished Masters Dissertation, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2007. Key word placing in Webpage body text to increase visibility to search engines. South African Journal of Information Management, 9(1). http://sajim.co.za/index.php/SAJIM/article/view/16 [16 August 2010].
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2008. Finding the synergy: search engine optimization vs. website usability. Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications, Cape Town, 3-5 September 2008. http://www.zaw3.co.za [04 October 2010].
- Kumar, R. 2005. Research Methodology-A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners: (2nd.ed.). Singapore: Pearson Education.
- Langville, A.N. & Meyer, C. D. 2006. Google’s PageRank and Beyond - The science of Search Engine Ranking. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Leedy, D.P., Ormrod, J. E. 2005. Practical Research Planning and Design. 8th Edition. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.
- Leedy, D.P. & Ormord, J. E. 2010. Practical Research Planning and Design. 9th Edition. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.
- Lim, Z. 2010. Affiliate Marketing Q & A - Will You Be Penalized For Keyword Stuffing In Landing Page. http://www.slideshare.net/ZackLim/affiliate-marketing-q-a-will-you-be- penalized-for-keyword-stuffing-in-landing-page [8 April 2011].
- Maceviciute, E. 2010. Review of: Theimer, Kate. Web 2.0 tools and strategies for archives and local history collections. London: Facet Publishing, 2010. Information Research, 15(1). http://informationr.net/ir/reviews/revs367.html [18 February 2011].
- Malaga, R.A. 2007. The Value of Search Engine Optimization: An Action research product at a New E-Commerce Site. Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations, 5(3):68-82.
- Malaga, R.A. 2009. Web 2.0 Techniques for search engine optimization: Two case studies. Review of Business Research, 9(1):132-139.
- MarketingSherpa. 2005. MarketingSherpa study results: 3,271 marketers reveal search marketing costs, clicks, & conversions. http://www.marketingsherpa.com/sample. cfm?contentID=3078 [21 September 2010].
- Mathews, J. 2011. Get on Google front page: 2011 SEO tips and tools to rise in search engine rankings. http://books.google.co.za/books?id=6n70oyVmgAQC&pg=PT7&dq=how+long+does+it+take +to+index+a+website&hl=en&ei=f1R3TYymIpC38QPhto2gDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=res ult&resnum=8&ved=0CE8Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false [09 March 2011].
- Mbikiwa, F. & Weideman, M. 2006. Implications of search engine spam on the visibility of South African e-commerce Websites. South African Journal of Information Management, 8(4). http://www.sabinet.co.za/abstracts/info/info_v8_n4_a5.html [16 June 2010].
- MegaBusiness. 2011. Keyword stuffing website. http://www.megabsolutions.com/terminal [15 January 2011].
- Mishne, G., Carmel, D. & Lempel, R. 2005. Blocking Blog Spam with Language Model Disagreement. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web AIRWeb 2005 Held in conjunction with the 14th International World Wide Web Conference, Chiba, Japan, 10 May 2005: 11-16.
- Mouton, J. 2001. How to succeed in your Master’s & Doctoral Studies: A South African guide and resource book. Pretoria: Van Schaik.
- Murphy, H. C., Christian D. Kielgast, (2008) "Do small and medium-sized hotels exploit search engine marketing?", International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 20 Iss: 1, pp.90 - 97. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=1662898&show=html [20 March 2011].
- Nel, J.P., Com, D. 2007. Epistemology Vs Ontology. http://mentornet.co.za/files/documents/EPISTEMOLOGYVSONTOLOGY.pdf [16 June 2010].
- Nielsen, J. 2004. Statistics for Traffic Referred by Search Engines and Navigation Directories to Use IT. http://www.useit.com/about/searchreferrals.html [04 September 2010].
- Nielsen, J. & Loranger, H. 2006. Prioritizing web usability. New Riders Press: Berkeley.
- Nikulin, V. 2010. Web-mining with Wilcoxon-based feature selection, ensembling and multiple binary classifiers. In Proceedings of the ECML/PKDD 2010 Discovery Challenge, Barcelona, Spain, 28 September 2010:87-100.
- Olsen, W. 2004. Triangulation in Social Research: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods Can Really Be Mixed. http://www.ccsr.ac.uk [20 October 2010].
- Paulussen, S. 2004. Online news production in Flanders: How Flemish online journalists perceive and explore the Internet’s potentials. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 9(4):449-466.
- Perez, S.K. & Anthony, K.S. eds. 1995. Technical Report for IRDS Conceptual Schema, Part 1: Conceptual Schema for IRDS, Part 2: Modelling Language Analysis. New York: American National Standards Institute.
- Peshkin, A. 1993. The goodness of qualitative research. Educational researcher, 22(2): 23- 29.
- Raisinghani, M.S. 2005. Future trends in search engines. Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations, 3(3). http://www.allbusiness.com/reports-reviews-sections/case-studies/13066978-1.html [14 August 2010].
- Raisinghani, M. S. 2005a. Search engine technology: A Closer Look at Its Future. Information Resource Management Journal, 18(2):i-vii.
- Ralf, F., Pettijohn, W. & James, B. 2008. Search engine Optimisation: a premier on outsourcing key tasks. Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice, 10(2). http://www.gale.cengage.com [13 August 2010].
- Ramos, A. & Cota, S. 2004. Insider Guide to SEO: How to Get Your Website to the Top of the Search Engines. Fremont, California: Jain Publishing Company.
- Ricca, F., Tonella, P., Girardi, C. & Pianta, E. 2004. An Empirical Study on Keyword-based Web Site Clustering. In Proceeding of the 12th IEEE International Workshop on Program Comprehension (IWPC'04), Bari, Italy, 24-26 June 2004:204-213.
- Romow Web Directory. 2007. Search Engine Optimization NO-NOS, blog entry by Peter, 26 April. http://www.romow.com/blog/search-engine-optimization-no-nos [09 September 2010].
- Ron, B. & Zsolt, K. 2011. The Role of Search Engine Optimization in Search Marketing. Social Science Research Network. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1745644 [15 April 2011].
- Sharma, D.K. & Sharma, A.K. 2010. Deep web information retrieval process: A technical survey (Report). International Journal of Information Technology and Web Engineering, 5(1):1-22.
- Shin, Y., Gupta, M. & Myers, S. 2011. Prevalence and Mitigation of Forum Spamming 2011. School of Informatics and Design, Indiana University. Bloomington, IN, USA. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5935048 [ 28 April 2011].
- Singh, A.M. 2002. The Internet - strategies for optimal utilization in South Africa. South African Journal of Information Management, 4(1). www.sajim.co.za/index.php/SAJIM/article/download/152/149 [18 October 2005].
- Sitemaps. 2009. Sitemaps Protocol. http://www.sitemaps.org [13 September 2009].
- Smith, C. 2002. Infrastructure needs for electronic commerce and the Internet, intranet and
extranets. South African Journal of Information Management, 4(4): 1-17. Snack, K. 2011. Search Engine Market Share (April 2011).
http://www.karmasnack.com/about/search-engine-market-share/ [07 April 2011].
- SPSS Manual. 2007. SPSS Advanced Statistics 17.0: Kaplan-Meier Survival Analysis http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Classes/A%20SPSS%20Manuals/SPSS%20Advanced %20Statistics%2017.0.pdf [18 March 2011].
- Stamoulis, N. 2009. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Training. Search Engine Optimization Journal.
http://www.slideshare.net/brickmarketing/seo-training-by-brick-marketing-on-may-13- 2009/download?lead=2009da08079e7ce929204ebdda212a4e17f887a90 [07 April 2011].
- Stenbacka, C. 2001. Qualitative research requires quality concepts of its own. Management Decision, 39(7):551-555.
- Sterling, G. 2010. Nielsen: Bing Passes Yahoo! to become #2 Search Engine.
[15 September 2010].
- Setup, M. 2005. Epistemology. In Zalta, E. N (ed) The Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy (Spring 2010 Edition). http://plato.standord.edu/archives/spr2010/entries/epistemology/ [16 June 2010].
- Stolz, C. & Barth, M. 2007. Website performance analysis success assessment of information driven website on user traces. International Journal of Information Technology and Web Engineering, 2(3)37-52. http://www.gale.cengage.com [12 August 2010].
- Struwig, F.W. & Stead, G.B. 2004. Planning, designing and reporting research. Cape Town: Pearson Education South Africa.
- Telnic.com. 2009. Search engine optimisation and the .tel domain. http://dev.telnic.org/docs/SEO.pdf [20 August 2010].
- Thelwall, M. 2001. Commercial website links. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy, 11(2):114-124.
- Leonard-Wilkinson, T. A. 2002. Search Engine Optimisation: Designing a Search-Friendly Site. STC Intercom 49(10):30-31 ( ABCs of Web Design column).
- Thomas, A. B. 2004. Research skills of Management Studies. London: Routledge. Thurow, S. 2003. What can I do to optimize my website for search engines?
http://www.devwebpro.com/articles/0303b.html [09 September 2010].
- Todaro, M. 2007. Internet Marketing Methods Revealed: The complete guide to becoming an
Internet marketing expert. Florida: Atlantic Publishing Group Inc.
- Visser, E.B. & Weideman, M. 2011. An empirical study on website usability elements and how they affect search engine optimisation. South African Journal of Information Management -doi: 10.4102/sajim. V13i1.428 13(1). http://www.sajim.co.za/index.php/SAJIM/article/view/428/459 [07 April 2011].
- Webconfs.com. 2010. SEO Tutorial: “List of best and worst practices for designing a high traffic website”. http://www.webconfs.com/15-minute-seo.php [10 September 2010].
- Weideman, M. 2004a. Empirical evaluation of one of the relationships between the user, search engines, metadata and websites in three-letter .com websites. South African Journal of Information Management, 6(3). www.sajim.co.za/index.php/SAJIM/article/view/312. [16 June 2010].
- Weideman, M. 2004b. Ethical issues on content distribution to digital consumers via paid placements as opposed to website visibility in search engine results. Proceedings of ETHICOMP, Syros, Greece, 14-16 April 2004:904-915.
- Weideman, M. 2005. Internet Searching Articles. http://www.mwe.co.za/html/internet- searching-articles.htm. [09 September 2010].
- Weideman, M. 2008. Internet Searching and other Research Challenges: Publish or Perish. Cape Town: Cape Peninsula University of Technology. Inaugural Speech. http://dk.cput.ac.za/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1030&context=inf_papers&sei- redir=1#search=%22Internet%20Searching%20other%20Research%20Challenges%3A%20 Publish%20or%20Perish.%20Cape%20Town%3A%22 [12 August 2009].
- Weideman, M. 2009. Website Visibility: The theory and practice of improving rankings. Oxford: Woodhead Publishing Limited.
- Weideman, M. & Kritzinger, W. 2003. Search Engine Information Retrieval: Empirical Research On The Usage Of Metatags To Enhance website Visibility And Ranking Of E- Commerce websites. Proceedings of The 7th World Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, Florida, USA, 27-30 July 2003:231-236.
- Weiss, A. & Weideman, M. 2008. An empirical study on the importance of keyword use in webpage naming conventions, in achieving top webpage rankings. Working Paper, Munich University of Applied Science, Munich. http://dk.cput.ac.za/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1051&context=inf_papers [20 November 2010].
- Wikipedia. 2010. Keyword Density. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyword_density [27 October 2010].
- Wilson,R. F. & Pettijohn, J. B. 2008. Search engine optimisation: A primer on outsourcing key tasks. Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice, 10(2):133-149.
- WordStream. 2009. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Best Practices Eight ways to increase reach and exposure through higher natural search rankings (White Paper). www.wordstream.com/download/docs/wordstream-seo.pdf [15 January 2011].
- Yahoo!. 2010a. Yahoo! central home page. http://yahoomail.com/ [22 October 2010]. Yahoo!. 2010b. Yahoo! site Submission console. http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/ [10
- Yahoo!. 2010c. Report Search Abuse, search Spam and Deletions. http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/deletion/;_ylt=Auj0f4TvoNlH3wbN8271SysuqCN4 [15 April 2010].
- Yahoo!. 2011. Yahoo! Search Content Quality Guidelines. http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/basics/basics-18.html [15 February 2011]
- Yung, M.E. 2011. Search Engine Optimisation: Have you been crawled over? http://www.scribd.com/doc/48757721/Search-Engine-Optimisation-Have-You-Been-Crawled- Over [01 April 2011].
- Zahorsky, R. M. 2010. Search and deceive: a Web trick catches a venerable law directory. ABA Journal. 96(2):32-33.
- Zaslavsky, D. 2010. Pro Webmasters: How long did it take for your new website to be indexed by search engines. http://Webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/1574/how- long-did-it-take-for-your-new-website-to-be-indexed-by-search-engines [25 November 2010].
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2004. Internet search engines’ response to metadata Dublin Core implementation. Journal of Information Science. 30(4):310-320.
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2005a. The impact of webpage content characteristics on webpage visibility in search engine results (Part I). Information Processing and Management, 41:665- 690.
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2005b. The impact of metadata implementation on webpage visibility in search engine results (Part II). Information Processing and Management, 41:691- 715.
- Zhao, L. 2004. Jump higher: Analyzing web-site rank in Google. Information Technology and Libraries, 23(3):108-119.
- Zuze, H. & Weideman, M. 2010. Keyword density in website body text - search engine spamdexing? Informatics & Design Papers and Reports. http://dk.cput.ac.za/inf_papers/58 [15 January 2011].