Rogue's Gallery - South African university website visibility
Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications
Weideman, M. 2011. Rogue's Gallery - South African university website visibility. Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications. 14-16 September, Johannesburg, South Africa. Online: www.zaw3.co.za
South Africa has 23 universities of a variety of descriptions. The current generation of potential students often use search engines to collect information about universities, which could influence their final choice of where to enrol. The increase in mobile web usage has also contributed to an increase in university web access for timetables, exam results and course details. As a result, university websites have joined commercial websites, fighting for top rankings for certain search queries. The purpose of this research project was to evaluate the 23 South African university homepages using a proven academic model. The most important contributing elements of website visibility were identified on each website, measured, and a scoring system designed. This system enabled the researcher to allocate points on a sliding scale for visibility to search engine crawlers. The results proved that South African university homepages spanned a wide range of scores, from webpages meeting most criteria to those scoring rather low overall. It was clear that in some cases, no effort was made to assist search engine crawlers to find websites with ease and index them well. In these cases, it could have a serious effect on the ease with which the student body's expectations of relevant search results can be met. Suggestions are made on how to improve the situation.
- Aguillo, I. 2009. Measuring the institution's footprint in the web. Library Hi Tech,27(4): 540-556.
- Beldona, S, Lin, K & Chen, M. 2011. Hotel Trademarks in Organic Search: A Longitudinal Cross-National Study. Journal of Travel Research. Available WWW:http://jtr.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/03/07/0047287511400612.abstract(accessed 20 July 2011).
- Espadas, J., Calero, C. and Piattini, M. 2008. Web site visibility evaluation. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 59: 1727–1742.
- Ghandour, A, Benwell, G and Deans, K. 2010. The relationship between website metrics and the financial performance of online business. ICIS 2010 Proceedings. Available WWW: http://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2010_submissions/27 (accessed 30 June 2011).
- Higher Education in South Africa - HESA. 2011. Available WWW:http://www.hesa.org.za/sa-universities (accessed 30 June 2011).
- Lagun, D. & Agichtein, E. 2011. ViewSer: a tool for large-scale remote studies of Web search result examination. Proceedings of the 2011 annual conference on human factors in computing systems, CHI EA '11, 2011. New York, NY, USA:292–296.
- Nicolae, M. & Marinescu, R. 2010. University Marketing - innovative communication for effective international survival. Journal for Communication Studies. Available WWW:http://www.essachess.com/index.php/jcs/article/view/89 (accessed 20 July 2011).
- Oralalp, S. 2010. Analysis of Turkey's visibility on global Internet. Unpublished Master of Science thesis, Middle East Technical University, Turkey.
- Rathimala, K. and Marthandan, G. 2010. Exploring hyperlink structure of electronic commerce websites: a Webometric study. International Journal of Electronic Business, 8(4-5): 391-404.
- Sugak, D.B. 2011. Rankings of a University's Web Sites on the Internet. Scientific and Technical Information Processing, 38(1): 17 - 19.
- Sullivan, D. 2011. Introducing: The Periodic Table Of SEO Ranking Factors. Available WWW: http://searchengineland.com/introducing-the-periodic-table-of-seoranking-factors-77181 (accessed 21 July 2011).
- Webometrics, 2011. Ranking Web of World Universities. Available WWW:
http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=africa (accessed 21 July2011).
- Weideman, M. 2009. Website visibility: the theory and practice of improving rankings. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.
- Wikipedia, 2011. List of Universities in South Africa. Available WWW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_South_Africa (accessed 21 July 2011).
- Yi, K. and Jin, T. 2008. Hyperlink analysis of the visibility of Canadian library and information science school web sites. Online Information Review, 32(3): 325-347.