Investigation of the relationship between Website usability and Web metrics.
Ntlangula, BM. & Weideman, M.
Ntlangula, BM. & Weideman, M. 2012. Investigation of the relationship between Website usability and Web metrics. Working Paper. Presented as an M&D Conference Paper at SAICSIT 2012, Pretoria, South Africa. Online: http://cput.academia.edu/MeliusWeideman/Papers
Website usability and the use of website metrics are both methods which could be used to indicate popularity and/or success of a website. For commercial websites, being successful in terms of listing on search engine result pages is of paramount importance. Prior research on website usability has indicated that a number of elements can be used to make up usability from the user's point of view. At the same time, programs that provide website metrics are freely available, and their output give many indications of website activity and performance. The purpose of this paper is to propose a method of determining whether or not there is a link between the results of measuring usability, as opposed to website metrics.
- Barnard, L & Wesson, J.L. 2003. Usability issues for E-commerce in South Africa: an Empirical Investigation. In Proceedings of the 2003 Annual Research Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists on Enablement Through Technology (SAICSIT 2003), 258-267.
- Eisenberg, B., Quarto-von Tivadar, J., Davis, L.T. & Crosby, B. 2008. Always be testing: the complete guide to Google Website optimizer. Indianapolis, IN: Sybex.
- Green, D and Pearson, J.M 2006. Development of A Web Site Usability Instrument Based on ISO 9241-11. The Journal of Computer Information Systems, 47(1): 66-72.
- Liebel, G. 2006. A guide to usability testing, About.com guide http://usability.about.com/b/2006/09/13/how-many-usability-test-participants-do-you- need.htm [25 July 2012].
- Nielsen, J. 2003. Usability 101: Introduction to Usability. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030825.html [1 August 2012].
- Visser, E.B. & Weideman, M. 2011. Search Engine Optimisation versus Website Usability – conflicting requirements. Information Research, 16(3). September.
- Wang, X. & Huang, W. 2009. Lund University Website evaluation: focus on homepage and English research pages. Unpublished Master's thesis, Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
- Weischedel, B. & Huizingh, K.R.E. 2006. Website Optimization with Web Metrics: A Case Study, In: ICEC ,Vol. 156ACM, 463-470.