Comparative analysis of homepage Website visibility and academic rankings for UK universities.
Weideman, M. 2013.
Information Research, 18(4) paper 599.
Weideman, M. 2013. Comparative analysis of homepage Website visibility and academic rankings for UK universities. Information Research, 18(4) paper 599. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
Introduction. The pressure on universities worldwide has increased to transform themselves from isolated educational institutions to profit-generating businesses. The visibility of a Web page plays a role in attracting potential clients, as more and more young users are depending on the Web for their everyday information needs. One of the purposes of this study was to evaluate the visibility of homepages of top UK universities, and rank them. Secondly, the existence of a correlation between Website visibility ranking and academic ranking was investigated. The goal of this research was to provide a repeatable method of measuring university Website visibility, and for comparison with measurement of other institutes' Websites.
Method. Website visibility elements were identified, and content investigation used to rank them according to an academic model. A scoring system was designed to cater for subjective measurements, producing a ranked list of university homepages. This was compared to an industry standard academic ranking for UK universities.
Results and Analysis. Five sub-lists provided a wide span of resulting scores, combined into the final result list. In some cases it was clear that homepages were designed based on good practice (Universities of Liverpool and Cambridge), while in others little or no effort was expended to achieve a high degree of visibility. There was no correlation between the two types of ranking.
Conclusions. Website visibility is a design feature often ignored in the design of university homepages in the UK, which could lead to missed opportunities. Guidelines are provided to improve this situation.
- 1994 Group. (2011). Retrieved 5 October, 2013 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Group
(Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/6KDOyehOg)
- Adamo, S. (2013). comScore releases August 2013 U.S. search engine rankings. Retrieved 8 October,
2013 from http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2108991/August2011SearchEngineSharefrom-
comScoreHitwise (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/6KDO9bq0n)
- Aguillo, I. (2009). Measuring the institution's footprint on the web. Library Hi Tech, 27(4), 540556.
- Cronin, B. (2001). Bibliometrics and beyond: some thoughts on Webbased citation analysis. Journal of
Information Science, 27(1), 17.
- Cutts, M. (2010). Gadgets, Google and SEO. Retrieved 07 October, 2013 from
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/sitespeed/ (Archived by WebCite at
- Espadas, J., Calero, C. & Piattini, M. (2008). Web site visibility evaluation. Journal of the American
Society for Information Science and Technology, 59(11), 17271742.
- Heimeriks, G. & van den Besselaar, P. (2006). Analyzing hyperlink networks: the meaning of hyperlink-
based indicators of knowledge. Cybermetrics, 10(1), paper 1. Retrieved 06 October, 2013 from
http://heimeriks.net/Analyzing%20hyperlink%20networks.pdf (Archived by WebCite at
- The Higher Education Academy. (2011). Trinity Laban harmony & counterpoint: structures for merger.
York, UK: The Higher Education Academy. Retrieved 08 October, 2013 from
(Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/6KDOmYHLT)
- Higher Education Statistics Agency. (2011). Redesigning the information landscape for higher education.
Cheltenham, UK: Higher Education Statistics Agency. Retrieved 07 October, 2013 from
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/6KDOUYasX)
- Li, X., Thelwall, M., Wilkinson, D. & Musgrove, P. B. (2005a). National and international university
departmental web site interlinking, part 1: validation of departmental link analysis. Scientometrics,
- Li, X., Thelwall, M., Wilkinson, D. & Musgrove, P. B. (2005b). National and international university
departmental web site interlinking, part 2: link patterns. Scientometrics, 64(2), 187208. Malaga, R. A. (2010). Search engine optimization—black and white hat approaches. Advances in
Computers, 78, 139. Middleton, I., McConnell, M. & Davidson, G. (1999). Presenting a model for the structure and content of
a university World Wide Web site. Journal of Information Science, 25(3), 219227.
- Nicolae, M. & Marinescu, R. (2010). University marketing – innovative communication for effective
international survival. Journal for Communication Studies, 3(1), 117138. Retrieved 2 October, 2013
from http://www.essachess.com/index.php/jcs/article/view/89 (Archived by WebCite at
- Oralalp, S. (2010). Analysis of Turkey's visibility on global Internet. Unpublished Master of Science
thesis, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Rathimala, K. & Marthandan, G. (2010). Exploring hyperlink structure of electronic commerce websites:
a Webometric study. International Journal of Electronic Business, 8(45), 391404.
- Sugak, D. B. (2011). Rankings of a University's Web sites on the Internet. Scientific and Technical
Information Processing, 38(1), 1719.
- Sullivan, D. (2011). Introducing: the periodic table of SEO ranking factors. Retrieved 6 October, 2013
(Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/6KDPVXO0J)
- Teesside University. (2011). Retrieved 05 October, 2013 from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teesside_University (Archived by WebCite at
- Thelwall, M. & Zuccala, A. (2008). A universitycentred European Union link analysis. Scientometrics,
- Thelwall, M. (2010). Webometrics: emergent or doomed?. Information Research, 15(4) colis 713.
Retrieved 01 October, 2013 from http://InformationR.net/ir/154/colis713.html (Archived by WebCite
- Weideman, M. (2009). Website visibility: the theory and practice of improving rankings. Oxford:Chandos Publishing. Weideman, M. (2011). Rogue's gallery – South African university website visibility. In A. Koch and P.A.
- van Brakel (Eds.). Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications, 1416
September 2011, Johannesburg, South Africa. Retrieved 21 November, 2013 from
http://www.zaw3.co.za/index.php/ZAWWW/2011/paper/viewFile/474/140 (Archived by WebCite at
(Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/6LIqQNVVc))
- Yi, K. & Jin, T. (2008). Hyperlink analysis of the visibility of Canadian library and information science
school web sites. Online Information Review, 32(3), 325347.