Search Engine Optimization and Pay-per-Click Marketing Strategies.
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M.
Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 23:3, 273-286
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2013. Search Engine Optimization and Pay-per-Click Marketing Strategies. Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 23:3,
273-286, Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
Purpose. In this study, the relationship between website owners having invested in SEO and PPC respectively is investigated and reported. Design approach. The design used in this research was based on an empirical field experimental approach. The authors investigated the implementation of both SEO and PPC, and compared the results. Findings. It was founds that website owners seldom invest in PPC as part of a SEM marketing campaign. This seemed to confirm some of the findings by other authors. Research limitations. Only SEO and PPC were considered, as they are by far the most used search engine marketing techniques. Possible future research could include investigating other search engines' PPC systems - Yahoo!, for example. Practical implications. This research has important implications for SEO and PPC practitioners, and for website owners. It should influence the way budgets on search engine marketing are applied. Originality/value. No evidence could be found that this kind of empirical research has been done, hence the results are considered to be unique.
- Abels, G., D. M. White, and K. Hahn, K. 1997. "Identifying user-based criteria for Web pages." Web
Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy 7(4):252-262.
Anonymous. 2008. "Search engine optimization." Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Search_engine_optimization (accessed June 18, 2012).
- Anonymous. 2011. "The beginners guide to SEO." Retrieved from http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-
guide-to-seo (accessed March 14, 2012).
- Applegate, L., C. W. Holsapple, R., Kalakota, F. Radermacher, and A. Whinston. 1996. "Electronic
commerce: Building blocks of new business opportunity." Journal of Organizational
Computing and Electronic Commerce 6(1):1-10.
- Berman, R., and Z. Katona. 2011. "The role of search engine optimization in search
marketing." SSRN. Retrieved from http://faculty-course.insead.edu/marketing_seminars/
Seminars%202010-11/zsolt%20Katona/berman_katona_seo.pdf (accessed May 20, 2013).
- Burns, E. 2007. "e-Commerce spending up for 2007 holiday and year." Retrieved fromwww.clickz.
com/showPage.html?page=clickz_print&id=3624408 (accessed July 7, 2012).
- Clay, B. 2006a. "Put SEO in your site design." Retrieved from http://www.bruceclay.co.za (accessed
June 23, 2012).
- Clay, B. 2006b. "Avoiding SEO pitfalls." Retrieved from http://www.bruceclay.co.za (accessed
July 29, 2012).
- Curran, K. 2004. "Tips for achieving high positioning in the results pages of the major search
engines." Information Technology Journal 3(2):202-205.
- Dou, W., K. H. Lim, C. Su, N. Zhou, and N. Cui. 2010. "Brand positioning strategy using search
engine marketing." MIS Quarterly 34(2):261-279.
- Flosi, S. 2011. "ComScore releases January 2011 U.S. search engine rankings." Retrieved
from http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2011/2/ comScore_Releases_
January_2011_U.S._Search_Engine_Rankings (accessed June 21, 2012).
- George, D. 2005. The ABC of SEO. Morrisville: Lulu Press.
- Green, D. 2000. "The evolution of Web searching." Online Information Review 24(2):124-137.
- Henshaw, R. 2001. "What next for Web journals? Implications of the trend towards paid placement
in search engines." First Monday 6(9). Retrieved from http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/
issue6_9/henshaw/index.html (accessed July 30, 2012).
- Holsapple, C. W., and M. Singh. (2000). "Electronic commerce: From a definitional taxonomy
toward a knowledge management view." Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic
- Jansen, B. J., and S. Schuster. 2011. "Bidding on the buying funnel for sponsored search and keyword
advertising." Journal of Electronic Commerce Research 12(1):1-18.
- Kennedy, K., and B. B. Kennedy. 2008. "A small company's dilemma: Using search engines
effectively for corporate sales." Management Research News 31(10):737-745.
- Kritzinger, W. T., and Weideman, M. 2005. "A study on the correct usage of webpage keywords to
improve search engine ranking." In Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on Applications
(ZAW3), 29-31 August, 2005, edited by P. van Brakel. Cape Town: CPUT.
- Malaga, R. A. 2008. "Worst practices in search engine optimization." Communications of the ACM
- Mouton, J. 2003. How to Succeed in Your Master's & Doctoral Studies: A South African Guide and
Resource Book. Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Moxley, D., T. Blake, and S. Maze. 2004. "Web search engine advertising practices and their effect
on library services." Managing Library Finances 17(2):61-65.
- Mukhopadhyay, D., A Banik, S. Mukherjee, J. Bhattacharya, and Y. Kim. 2007. "A domain spe-
cific ontology based semantic web search engine." In 7th International Workshop MSPT
2007 Proceedings, 81-89. Youngil Publication: Republic of Korea.
- Neethling, R. 2008. "User profiles for preferences of search engine optimisation versus paid place-
ment" Master's Thesis. The Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South
PricewaterhouseCoopers. 2011. IAB Internet Advertising Revenue Report. Retrieved from http://
www.iab.net/media/file/IAB_Full_year_2010_0413_Final.pdf (accessed May 18, 2013).
- Sen, R. 2005. "Optimal search engine marketing strategy." International Journal of Electronic
- Sherman, C. 2007. "The state of search engine marketing 2006." Retrieved from http://
searchengineland.com/070208-095009.php (accessed May 13, 2012).
- Shih, B.-Y., Chen, C.-Y., and Chen, Z.-S. 2012. An empirical study of an internet marketing strategy
for search engine optimization. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service
Industries, doi: 10.1002/hfm.20348.
- Spink, A., and J. L. Xu. 2000. "Selected results from a large study of Web searching: The Excite
study." Information Research 6(1). Retrieved from http://informationr.net/ir/6-1/paper90.html
(accessed May 28, 2012).
- Sullivan, D. 2001a. "Congratulations! You're a search engine marketer!" Retrieved from http://
searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2164351 (accessed July 13, 2012).
- Sullivan, D. 2001b. "The evolution of paid inclusion." Retrieved from http://searchenginewatch.com/
showPage.html?page=2163971 (accessed July 14, 2012).
- Sullivan, D. 2003. "Hot trends in search engine marketing." Retrieved from http://searchenginewatch.
com/showPage.html?page=2161911 (accessed July 27, 2012).
- Sullivan, D. 2010. "Does SEM = SEO + CPC still add up?" Retrieved from http://searchengineland.
com/does-sem-seo-cpc-still-add-up-37297 (accessed April 16, 2012).
- Sullivan, D. 2011. "Facebook Friday question says: Most do both SEO & PPC, then SEO
Only." Retrieved from http://searchengineland.com/facebook-friday-question-says-most-do-
both-seo-ppc-then-seo-only-77682 (accessed June 30, 2012).
- Thelwall, M. 2001. "Commercial Web site links." Web Research: Electronic Networking Applications
and Policy 11(2):14-124.
- Visser, E. B., and M. Weideman. 2011. "An empirical study on website usability elements and how
they affect search engine optimisation." South African Journal of Information Management
13(1). Retrieved from http://www.sajim.co.za (accessed June 17, 2012).
- Waltzer, M. 2008. "SEO vs. PPC, which online marketing is more effective?" Retrieved from http://
knol.google.com/k/seo-vs-ppc-which-online-marketing-is-more-effective# (accessed July 6,
- Weideman, M. 2005. "Web searching articles." Retrieved from http://www.mwe.co.za/htm/Web-
searching-articles.htm (accessed July 24, 2012).
- Weideman, M. 2009. Website Visibility: The Theory and Practice of Improving Rankings. Oxford:
- Weideman, M. 2012. "Weideman website visibility search engine submission vid#002." Retrieved
from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAqxArE_6FE (accessed January 3, 2013).
- Winterberry Group. 2012. Outlook 2012: What to Expect in Direct and Digital Marketing. New York:
- Wittenberg, P. 2004. "Search engines: Economics & ethics." Retrieved from http://www.
saintlouisflamenco.com/webmaster/searchengines.htm (accessed May 26, 2012).
- Zhang, J., and Dimitroff, A. 2004. "Web search engines' response to metadata Dublin Core
implementation." Journal of Information Science 30(4):310-320.
- Zuze, H. 2011. "The crossover point between keyword rich website text and Spamdexing" Master's
Thesis. The Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa.