Key word placing in Web page body text to increase visibility to search engines empirical study on website usability elements and how they affect search engine optimisation.
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M.
SA Journal of Information Management, 9(1), March 2007, 14 pages.
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2007. Key word placing in Web page body text to increase visibility to search engines empirical study on website usability elements and how they affect search engine optimisation. SA Journal of Information Management, 9(1), March 2007, 14 pages. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
The growth of the World Wide Web has spawned a wide variety of new information sources,
which has also left users with the daunting task of determining which sources are valid.
Many users rely on the Web as an information source because of the low cost of information
retrieval. It is also claimed that the Web has evolved into a powerful business tool. Examples
include highly popular business services such as Amazon.com and Kalahari.net. It is
estimated that around 80% of users utilize search engines to locate information on the
Internet. This, by implication, places emphasis on the underlying importance of Web pages
being listed on search engines indices. Empirical evidence that the placement of key words in
certain areas of the body text will have an influence on the Web sites' visibility to search
engines could not be found in the literature. The result of two experiments indicated that key
words should be concentrated towards the top, and diluted towards the bottom of a Web page
to increase visibility. However, care should be taken in terms of key word density, to prevent
search engine algorithms from raising the spam alarm.
- Aguillo, I. 2000. A new generation of tools for search, recovery and quality evaluation of
World Wide Web medical resources. Journal of Management in Medicine 14(3/4):240-248.
- Alimohammadi, D. 2003. Meta-tag: a means to control the process of Web indexing. Online
Information Review 27(4):238-242.
- Boisvert, H. and Caron, M.A. 2006. Benchmarking Web site functions. Benchmarking: An
International Journal 13(1/2):174-189.
- Bowman, J.L. 2004a. Optimization with keywords. [Online]. Available WWW: http://spider-
food.net/keywords.html (Accessed 18 March 2006).
- Bowman, J.L. 2004b. Search engine optimization and coding. [Online]. Available WWW:
http://spider-food.net/keywords-c.html (Accessed 2 April 2006).
- Green, D. 2000. The evolution of Web searching. Online Information Review 24(2):124-137.
- Hämäläinen, M., Whinston, A.B., and Vishik, S. 1996. Electronic markets for learning:
education brokerage on the Internet. Communications of the ACM 39(6):51-58.
- Hirsch, R.P. and Riegelman, R.K. 1996. Statistical operations: analysis of health research
data. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Science.
- Konia, B.S. 2002. Search engine optimization with WebPosition Gold 2. Texas: Wordware
- Meadhra, M. 2004. How keywords impact search engine rankings. [Online]. Available
top WWW: http://www.builder.com (Accessed 23 January 2006).
- Mouton, J. 2003. How to succeed in your Master's and Doctoral studies: A South African
guide and resource book. Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Nielsen, J. 2004. Statistics for traffic referred by search engines and navigation directories to
Useit. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.useit.com (Accessed 13 April 2006).
- Nobles, R. and O'Neil, S. 2000. Maximize Web site traffic: build Web site traffic fast and free
by optimizing search engine placement. Holbrook, MA: Adams Media Corporation.
- Podesta, G. 2000. e-Commerce: helping customers gain the competitive edge. Plastics
- Rowland, G. 1998. Getting more from the Internet. New Library World 99(6):222-229.
- Simeon, R. 1999. Evaluating domestic and international Web-site strategies. Internet
Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy 9(4):297-308.
- Singh, A.M. 2002. The Internet – strategies for optimal utilization in South Africa. South
African Journal of Information Management. 4(1). [Online]. Available WWW:
http://www.sajim.co.za/ (Accessed 13 April 2006).
- Smith, A. 2003. Think local, search global? Comparing search engines for searching
geographically specific information. Online Information Review 27(2):102-109.
- Synder, H, Rosenbaum, H. 1999. Can search engines be used as tools for Web-link analysis?
A critical review. Journal of Documentation 55(4):375-384.
- Sullivan, D. 2002a. Search engine placement tips. [Online]. Available WWW:
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2168021 (Accessed 17 March
- Sullivan, D. 2002b. Intro to search engine optimization. [Online]. Available WWW:
http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167921 (Accessed 17 March 2006).
- Sullivan, D. 2003. How search engines rank Web pages. [Online]. Available WWW:
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167961 (Accessed 17 March
- Thelwall, M. 2000. Effective Websites for small and medium-sized enterprises. Journal of
Small Business and Enterprise Development 7(2):149-159.
- Thelwall, M. 2001. Commercial Web site links. Internet Research: Electronic Networking
Applications and Policy 11(2):114-124.
- Thelwall, M. 2002. Subject gateway sites and search engine ranking. Online Information
- Thurow, S. 2003. Search engine visibility. Indiana: New Riders.
- Tyner, R. 2001. Sink or swim: Internet search tools and techniques. [Online]. Available
WWW: http://www.ouc.bc.ca/libr/connect96/search.htm (Accessed 17 April 2006).
- Wagner, C., Cheung, K.S.K., Rachael, K.F. and Böttcher, S. 2006. Building semantic Webs
for e-Government with Wiki technology. Electronic Government 3(1), 36-55.
- Weideman, M. 2004. Empirical evaluation of one of the relationships between the user,
search engines, metadata and Web sites in three-letter .com Web sites. South African Journal
of Information Management 6(3). [Online]. Available WWW: www.sajim.co.za (Accessed
13 April 2006).
- Weideman, M. 2005. Internet search articles. [Online]. Available WWW:
http://www.mwe.co.za/seaarticles.htm (Accessed 13 April 2006).
- Weideman, M., Kritzinger, W. 2003. Search engine information retrieval: empirical research
on the usage of metatags to enhance Website visibility and ranking of e-Commerce websites.
In: Proceedings of The 7th World Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics
July 2003. Orlando: Volume VI: 231-236.
- Wong, M. 2004. Mike's marketing tools. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.Mikes-
Marketing-Tools.com (Accessed 12 March 2006).
- Zhang, J. and Dimitroff, A. 2004. Internet search engines' response to metadata Dublin Core
implementation. Journal of Information Science 30(4):310-320.
- Zhang, J. and Dimitroff, A. 2005. The impact of Webpage content characteristics on
Webpage visibility in search engine results (Part I). Information Processing and