Use of Ethical SEO Methodologies to Achieve Top Rankings in Top Search Engines.
Proceedings of the 2007 Computer Science and IT Education Conference, Informing Science Institute. 16-18 November. Mauritius. 717-727.
Weideman, M. 2007. Use of Ethical SEO Methodologies to Achieve Top Rankings in Top Search Engines. Proceedings of the 2007 Computer Science and IT Education Conference, Informing Science Institute. 16-18 November. Mauritius. 717-727. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
In this research project an empirical study was done on the application of ethical SEO (Search Engine Optimization) techniques to a website (www.uvasys.com), in an attempt to increase its visibility to the three main search engines. Neither paid placement nor any black hat techniques were considered.
A literature survey has established that there are a number of proposed techniques that could be used to achieve high visibility. However, no reference could be found to empirical work proving these claims. An evaluation of the chosen website proved that it had virtually no visibility. The methodology involved the measurement of visibility, re-engineering of the website according to the elements indicated by the survey, and subsequent re-measurement. The results indicated that the website now occupied first position on the three top search engines for a number of selected keyword definitions. It can be concluded that the implementation of ethical methodologies, careful placing of text and the use of key phrases can dramatically increase the visibility of a real-world website.
- Chambers, R. (2006). Search engine strategies: a model to improve website visibility for SMME websites. Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology. February.
- Drèze, X. & Zufryden, F. (2004). Measurement of online visibility and its impact on Internet traffic. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18(1), 20-37.
- Evans, M.P. (2007). Analysing Google rankings through search engine optimization data. Internet Re- search, 17(1), 21-37.
- Kretschmer, H. & Aguillo, I.F. (2004). Visibility of collaboration on the Web. Scientometrics, 61(3), 405- 426.
- Kritzinger, W. (2007). The effect webpage body keyword location has on ranking in search engine results: An empirical study. Masters Dissertation, Cape Peninsula University of Technology. February.
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. (2005). A study on the correct usage of webpage keywords to improve search engine ranking. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on WWW Applications. 31 August - 2 September. South Africa, Cape Town. Retrieved May 13, 2007 from http://www.zaw3.co.za
- Mbikiwa, F.N. & Weideman, M. (2006). Implications of search engine spam on the visibility of South Af- rican e-commerce Web sites. South African Journal of Information Management, 8(4). Retrieved April 17, 2007 from http://www.sajim.co.za
- Ntoulas, A., Najork, M., Manasse, M. & Fetterly, D. (2006). Detecting spam web pages through content analysis. Proceedings of the 15th international conference on World Wide Web. Edinburgh, Scotland. 83-92.
- Sullivan, D. (2000). WebPosition Gold review. Retrieved March 29, 2007 from
- Sullivan, D. (2006). ComScore Media Metrix Search Engine Ratings. Retrieved March 29, 2007 from
- Van Steenderen, M. (2001). Web site management: making a Web site more visible. South African Journal of Information Management, 2(4). Retrieved May 13, 2007 from http://www.sajim.co.za
- Visser, E.B. (2007). Search engine optimisation elements’ effect on website visibility: The Western Cape real estate SMME sector. Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology. February.
- Visser, E.B., Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. (2006). Search engine optimisation elements and their ef- fect on Website visibility: implementation of the Chambers model. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference on WWW Applications. 6 - 8 September. South Africa, Bloemfontein. Retrieved May 11, 2007 from http://www.zaw3.co.za
- Weideman, M. & Strümpfer, C. (2004). The effect of search engine keyword choice and demographic fea- tures on Internet searching success. Information Technology and Libraries, ISSN: 0730-9295, 23(2):58-65.