Internet topic searching matched with search engines to provide Relevant information to it/is students - a South African approach.
Proceedings of IRMA'99
Weideman, M. 1999. Internet topic searching matched with search engines to provide Relevant information to it/is students - a South African approach. Proceedings of IRMA'99, South Africa.
Some early research has proven that students show a higher level of participation in a
class if they are involved in their own evaluation. It has also been proven that they are
keen to use the internet to find information relating to their studies.
A pilot study was used to build a measuring instrument to be used to determine student's
ability to search for information. A country-wide research tour followed. The instrument
was then used to measure various parameters involving the degree of success
experienced by students during internet searching.
It was found that only 38% of the subjects found the information they were looking for
within 30 minutes in a controlled environment. There was also strong evidence that
historically disadvantaged students had a lower searching success rate than others.
Early versions of a model to assist students in the searching process have shown promise
- Basu, G. 1995. Using Internet for Reference: Myths vs. Realities. Computers in
- Brandt, D.S. 1996. Relevancy and Searching the Internet. Computers in Libraries.
- Clarke,S.J., Willett, P. 1997. Estimating the recall performance of Web search
engines. Aslib Proceedings, Volume 49 No 7. August. 184 - 189.
- Collins, S. 1997. Seek and ye shall find. .net January. 50-66.
- Devlin, B, Burke, M. 1997. Internet: the ultimate reference tool? Internet Research.
- Dragan, R.V., Boscardin, A. 1997. Taming the wild, wild Web. PC Magazine. March
- Evans, P.B., Wurster, T.S. 1997. Strategy and the new Economics of Information.
Harvard Business Review. September/October. 71-82.
- Foley, M.J. 1996. Hot new Database Technologies. Datamation. September. 44-49.
- Furner-Hines, J, Willett, P. 1995. The use of the World-Wide Web in UK academis
libraries. Aslib proceedings. Volume 47 No. 1. 23 - 32.
- Lloyd, L. 1996. The Ovid Web Gateway creates sophisticated search opportunities
on the World Wide Web. Campus-Wide Information Systems 13(3):23-24.
- Radcliff, C, Du Mont, M, Gatten, J. 1993. Internet and Reference Services:
Implications for Academic Libraries. Library review. Volume 42 No 1. 15 - 19.
- Sha, V.T. 1995. Cataloguing Internet resources: the library approach. The Electronic
Library. Volume 13, No 5, October. 467 - 476.
- Su, L.T. 1992. Evaluation Measures for Interactive Information Retrieval. Information
Processing & Management. Volume 24 No. 4. 503 - 516.
- Tate, M, Alexander, J. Teaching Critical Evaluation Skills for World Wide Web
Resources. Computers in Libraries. Volume 16. 49 - 55.
- Taubes, G. 1995. Indexing the Internet. Science. Volume 269. September 8. 1354 -
- Venditto, G. 1996. Search Engine Showdown. Internet World. May. 79-80.
- Wilson, DL. 1995. Internet Users Face Lines at Computers. The Chronicle of Higer
Education. December 1. A31-A36.