Access channels for mobile banking applications - A comparative study based on characteristics.
Schwenke, F. 2010. Access channels for mobile banking applications - A comparative study based on characteristics. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
The objective of this research project was to provide an answer to the question: "Which access channel is the most appropriate for mobile banking applications?" This question is posed by providers of mobile banking services and providers of mobile banking applications alike. In order to provide an answer, a literature survey was conducted to determine
which access channels are available to mobile banking applications and
which characteristics should be measured to determine the appropriateness of each of these access channels.
It was determined that there are a number of access channels available to mobile applications. Not all of these are applicable to mobile banking applications, due to the nature of the underlying technologies. In order to measure characteristics of the access channels a selection of the available channels was made. This selection was first based on the applicability of the channel on mobile banking applications, and thereafter on the availability of the channel in a commercial or test environment. Lastly, the list was filtered according to which channels that are available within South Africa. It was however possible to measure one of the characteristics, "ubiquity", in three different countries. Six access channels (IVR, Java/J2ME, SMS, USSD, WAP/XHTML and WIG) were chosen to be measured. Apart from the selection of access channels, the characteristics that were to be measured were also filtered. This filtering was based on the complexity of the characteristic. Eventually, three characteristics (security, ubiquity and usability) were chosen. Each of the characteristics was measured in a different way to determine the suitability of each access channel with regard to that specific characteristic. The results were gathered and graphed. A detail description of the results was done on a per channel basis. Lastly, the results were analysed. This analysis enabled the author of this research to make recommendations as to the appropriateness of the different access channels for mobile banking applications.
This interpretation of the results showed that WIG (which is representative of all SIM card based channels) is the most secure way to conduct mobile banking transactions. However, IVR and SMS were found to be the most ubiquitous and WAP/XHTML was the most usable. As far as usability is concerned, it was found that there is very little difference in the usability of the different access channels. It was also confirmed that the user's previous experience might have influenced his/her perspective of usability.
In conclusion it is recommended that no single characteristic should be regarded in isolation when decisions are made about which access channels to support. Instead, decision makers should consider several characteristics which may influence the target marketplace as well as prospective clients. The nature of the mobile banking application provider might play a significant role in the decisions. For example if the mobile operator is the service provider, they may consider access channels that are mobile operator dependent, but if a bank is the service provider, they might find it more useful to consider more ubiquitous access channels that are not mobile operator specific.
- Adams, A. & Sasse, M.A. 1999. Users are not the enemy. Communications of the ACM,
- Agoston, T.C., Ueda, T. & Nishimura, Y. 2000. Pervasive computing in a networked world.
Proceedings of the 10th annual Internet Society Conference, Pacifico, Yokahama, Japan,
18-21 July 2000. http://monsterdesign.co.kr/reference/pervasive1.doc [22 June 2009].
- Anderson, R., Manifavas, C. & Sutherland, C. 1996. Netcard - a practical electronic cash
system. Proceedings of the Fourth Cambridge workshop on security protocols, Cambridge
UK, April 1996:49-57.
- Andreadis A., Benelli G., Giambene G. & Marzucchi B. 2001. Analysis of WAP over SMS-
GSM. CommsDesign: 4 September 2001.
http://www.commsdesign.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192200651 [22 June 2009].
- Anonymous. 2007. Unbanked need more info on cellphone banking. Mail & Guardian
Online: 15 March 2007. http://www.mg.co.za/article/2007-03-15-unbanked-need-more-
info-on-cellphone-banking [22 June 2009].
- Arumuga, S. 2006. Effective method of security measures in virtual banking. Journal of
Internet Banking and Commerce, 11(1). http://www.arraydev.com/commerce/JIBC/2006-
04/VB.asp [22 June 2009].
- Arunachalam, L. & Sivasubramanian, M. 2007. Theoretical framework to measure the
user satisfaction in Internet banking. Academic Open Internet Journal, 20.
http://www.acadjournal.com/2007/V20/part6/p3/ [11 June 2009].
- AuthenticationWorld.com. 2006. The business of authentication.
http://www.authenticationworld.com/ [11 June 2009].
- Bachen, C. 2001. The family in the networked society: A summary of research on the
American family. STS Nexus, Winter 2001.
- Barkhuus, L. 2003. How to define the communication situation: Context measures in
Present Mobile Telephony. Proceedings of the fourth International and Interdisciplinary
Conference on Modelling and Using Context, Stanford, California, 23-25 June 2003.
- Barkhuus, L. & Dey, A. 2003. Is context aware computing taking control away from the
user? Three levels of interactivity examined. Proceedings of the 5th annual Conference
on Ubiquitous Computing, Seattle, USA, 12-15 October 2003:150-156.
http://www.springerlink.com/index/3rb1hq49n3143fdf.pdf [22 June 2009].
- Bertini, E., Gabrielle, S., Kimono, S., Catarrh, T. & Santiago, G. 2005. Global
methodology for evaluation of usability in mobile computing. Report 7.3.7, Multichannel
Adaptive Information Systems. http://www.mais-project.it/documenti/pdf/R%207.3.7-MAIS-
2005-UniRoma1.pdf [22 June 2009].
- Bezuidenhoudt, J. 2008. Personal interview on 23 April 2008.
- Bezuidenhoudt, J. & Porteous, D. 2008. Managing the risk of Mobile Banking
technologies. Bankable Frontier Associates, FinMark Trust.
http://www.finmark.org.za/documents/MBTechnologies_risks.pdf [22 June 2009].
- Buyukkokten, O., Garcia-Molina, H., Packet, A. & Wingspread, T. 2000. Power Browser -
Efficient web browsing for PDAs. Proceedings of the CHI 2000 Conference on Human
factors in Computing Systems, The Hague, 1-6 April 2000:430-437.
- Castells, M., Fernandez-Ardevol, M., Qui, J.L. & Se, A. 2004. The mobile communication
society: A cross-cultural analysis of available evidence on the social uses of wireless
communication technology. Proceedings of the International workshop on Wireless
- Communication, Sonenberg School of Communication, University of Southern California,
Los Angeles, 8-9 October 2004.
- Chakraborty, S. 2006. Mobile phone Usage Patterns Amongst University students: A
comparative study between India and USA. Thesis of Masters' Degree. School of
Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Chau, S. 2003. The use of e-commerce amongst thirty-four Australian SMEs: An
experiment or strategic business tool? Journal of Systems & Information Technology, 7(1):
- Chikomo, K., K Cong, M., Arab, A. & Hutchison, A. 2006. Security of Mobile Banking.
Department of Computer Science, University of Cape Town, Cape Town.
- Chmielarz, W. 2002. Profitability aspects of electronic banking applications for small
companies. Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Information Systems,
Glans, Poland, 6-8 June 2002:1578-1588.
- Cho, N. & Jung, J. 2005. A study on the influence factors in Internet- and mobile banking.
Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Business and Information, Hong
Kong, 14-15 July 2005. Taiwan: Academy of Taiwan Information Systems Research.
- Chovanova, A. 2006. Forms of electronic banking. National Bank of Slovakia Banking
Journal (BIATEC), XIV(6/2006):22-25.
- Claessens, J., Prenatal, B & Vanderbilt, J. 2001. Combining World wide web and wireless
security. Proceedings of the International Federation for Information Processing
Conference, Leaven, 26-27 November 2001:153-171.
- Clickatell. 2008. Message Pricing. Clickatell.
http://www.clickatell.com/pricing/message_cost.php [11 June 2009].
- Coetzee, K. 2008. Personal email received on 11 April 2008.
- Coldwell, D.A.L. 2007. Is research that is both casually adequate and adequate on the
level of meaning possible or necessary in business research? A critical analysis of some
methodological alternatives. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 5(1):1-10.
- Comsys. 2008. Interactive Voice Response Services. Comsys UK,
http://www.comsys.uk.com/ivr.htm [11 June 2009].
- Corkrey, R. & Parkinson, L. 2002. Interactive voice response: Review of studies 1989 -
2000. Behaviour Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 34(3):342-353.
- Couper, M.P., Singer, E. & Tourmaline, R. 2004. Does voice matter? An interactive voice
response (IVR) experiment. Journal of official statistics, 20(3):551-570.
- Coursaris, C.K. & Kim, D.J. 2006. A qualitative review of empirical mobile usability
studies. Proceedings of the 12th Americas Conference on Information Systems, Acapulco,
Mexico, 4-6 August 2006.
- Derballa, V. & Pousttchi, K. 2004. Extending knowledge management to mobile
workplaces. Proceedings of the 6th International conference on Electronic commerce,
- Delft, Netherlands, 25-27 October 2004:583-590.
- Doern, R. & Fey, C.F. Undated. The emergence of eBanking in Russia. A Working paper
from Stockholm School of economics in St Petersburg, Russia.
- Fang, X., Xu, S., Brzezinski, J. & Chan, S.S. 2006. A Study of the feasibility and
effectiveness of Dual-Modal information presentations. International Journal of Human-
Computer Interaction, 20(1):3-17.
- Fischmeister, S., Hagleitner, G., Pree, W. & Pomberger, G. 2001. Symbolon - A novel
concepts for secure e-commerce. Proceedings of the First IFIP conference on E-
commerce, Zurich, Switzerland, 4-5 October 2001.
- Flashmedia. 2007. Our partners. Flashmedia.
=282 [11 June 2009].
- Forum Nokia. 2007. XHTML and other markup languages. Forum Nokia technical library.
NTL/XHTML_and_other_markup_languages.htm [11 June 2009].
- Garzonis, S. & O'Neill, E. 2006. Factors contributing to Low Usage of Mobile Data
Services: User requirements, Service Discovery and Usability. Proceedings of the 20th
BCS Human-Computer Interaction Group conference, Queen May, University of London,
11-15 September 2006.
- Goel, S., Imielinski, T., Ozbay, K. & Nath, B. 2003. Grassroots - A scalable and robust
information architecture. Traffic Congestion and Sprawl. Federal Highway Administration,
US Department of Transportation. Technical Report DCS-TR-523(G).
- Gomes, P., Tostao, S., Goncalves, D. & Jorge, J. 2001. Web Clipping - Compression
Heuristics for displaying text on a PDA. Proceedings of Mobile HCI 2001: Third
International Workshop on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices, Dunlop,
M.D. & Brewster, S.A. (Eds), IHM-HCI 2001 Lille, France, 10 September 2001.
http://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/~mdd/mobilehci01/procs/gomes_cr.pdf [22 June 2009].
- Hampe, J.F., Swatman, P.M.C. & Swatman, P.A. 2000. Mobile electronic commerce -
reintermediation in the payment system. Proceedings of the 13th international Bled
Electronic Commerce Conference, Bled, 19-21 June 2000.
- Hellmund, M. 2003. Smart personalization for wireless applications. Thesis in partial
fulfilment of degree, Diplom-Informatiker (FH). Media and Computer Science, Department
of digital media, University of applied Sciences, Furtwagen, Germany.
- Hellstrom, M. 2003. Java applications in mobile devices - concerning business services
at Telia Mobile AB. M.Sc. Dissertation, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Hoffman, J. 2007. Terms of reference: Managing the risk of mobile banking technologies.
- Janse van Rensburg, J. 2007a. Personal Interview on 16 March 2007.
- Janse van Rensburg, J. 2007b. Personal Interview on 10 August 2007.
- Janse van Rensburg, J. 2008. Personal Communications on 22 February 2008.
- Jarecki, S. & Odlyzko, A. 1997. An efficient micropayment system based on probabilistic
polling. Proceedings of Financial Cryptography, First International Conference, FC'97,
Anguilla, British West Indies, 24-28 February 1997:173-191.
- Jinny. 2008. USSD. JinnyTM.
- Karem, K. 2003. Internet Banking in Estonia. A working paper from PRAXIS Center for
Policy Studies, Estonia, 2003:1-28.
- Kiyingi, K.K. 2007. Customers send money using phones. AllAfrica.Com: 22 October
2007. http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200710221934.html [11 June 2009].
- Kreyer, N., Pousttchi, K. & Turowski, K. 2002. Characteristics of mobile payment
procedures. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on M-Services - Concepts,
Approaches and Tools, Lyon, France, 26 June 2002.
- Krugel, G.T. 2007. Mobile banking technology options. Finmark Trust.
http://www.finmark.org.za/documents/MBTO_report.pdf [24 June 2009].
- Lee, K.S., Lee, H.S. & Kim, S.Y. 2007. Factors influencing the adoption behaviour of
Mobile Banking: A South Korean perspective. Journal of Internet Banking and
Commerce, 12(2). http://www.arraydev.com/commerce/jibc/2007-
08/HyungSeokLee_Final_PDF%20Ready.pdf [22 June 2009].
- Ling, A. 2007. Personal interview on 28 August 2007.
- Ling, A. 2008. Personal interview on 4 March 2008.
- Lipscomb, T.J., Totten, J.W., Cook, R.A. & Lesch, W. 2007. Cellular phone etiquette
among college students. International Journal of Consumer studies, 31(1): 46-56.
- Mahmoud, Q.H. 2004. Design challenges and possible solutions to wireless applications
development. Proceedings of Software Engineering Research and Practice (SERP) 2004
2:782-788, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Mallat, N., Rossi, M. & Tuunainen, V.K. 2004. Mobile Banking Services. Communications
of the ACM, 47(5):42-46.
- Mark, O. & Bang M. 2008. Dawn of e-commerce loom as banks leaps into mobile
banking. Business Daily Africa: 15 July 2008.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200807150222.html [11 June 2009].
- McCullagh, A. & Caelli, W. 2000. Non-repudiation in a digital environment. First Monday,
5(8). http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/778/687 [22
- McKitterick, D. 2003. A web services framework for mobile payment services. Thesis in
partial fulfilment of degree M.Sc. In Computer Science, University of Dublin, Dublin.
- Mehrotra, P. 2007. Brewing India on the VAS map. Hindustan Times: 11 July 2007.
b2ac21786e45 [11 June 2009].
- M-Indya.com. 2005. MExE basics and a detailed discussion of MExE. http://www.m-
indya.com/mexe/ [11 June 2009].
- Mitchell, C. 2004. Security for Mobility. Institution of Electrical Engineers.
- MTN. 2008. MTN Group - Media Centre - Overview. MTN.
http://www.mtn.com/Media/overviewdetail.aspx?pk=359 [11 June 2009].
- Myers, M.D. 2008. Qualitative Research in Information Systems. MIS Quarterly,
(21:2):241-242 June 1997. MISQ Discovery, archival version, June 1997,
http://www.misq.org/discovery/MISQD_isworld [11 June 2009].
- Odlyzko, A. 2002. Roxane Googin's predictions and the telecom world. The cooking
report on the Internet, 11(1-2):53-58.
- O'Gorman, L. 2003. Comparing passwords, tokens, and biometrics for user
authentication. Proceedings of the IEEE 91(12):2021-2040, December 2003.
- Oliver, B. & Barrett, C. 2004. Comfort & Ubiquity = Adoption: Enhancing first year
students' communication skills with handheld computers. In Atkinson, R., McBeath, C.,
Jonas-Dwyer, D. & Philips, R. (eds), Beyond the comfort zone: Proceedings of the 21st
ASCILITE Conference, 5-8 December 2004.
http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/perth04/procs/oliver-b.html [24 June 2009].
- O'Meara, D. 2007. Texting for more than flirting. Financial Post - Part of the Canada.com
network: 19 October 2007. http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=0947771e-
5bc2-4172 [26 October 2007].
- Pau, L-F. 2004. Mobile operators as banks or vice versa - and - the challenges of mobile
channels for banks. ERIM Research Report: ERS-2004-015-LIS.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=513770 [24 June 2009].
- Potts, G. 2004. College students and cell phone use: Gender variation. HC Rhetoric 160.
- Qualcomm. 2003. BREWTM and J2METM - A complete Wireless Solution for Operations
Committed to JavaTM. Qualcomm Incorporated.
http://www.qualcomm.com/brew/images/about/pdf/brew_j2me.pdf [4 October 2008].
- Ratha, N.K., Connell, J.H. & Bolle, R.M. 2001. Enhancing security and privacy in
biometrics-based authentication systems. IBM Systems Journal, 40(3):614-634.
- Redknee. 2008. Customers worldwide - Europe. Redknee.
http://www.redknee.com/results/customers_worldwide/europe/ [11 June 2009].
- Riivari, J. 2005. Mobile banking - A powerful new marketing and CRM tool for financial
services companies all over Europe. Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 10(1):11-20.
- Salmenjoki, K. & Jantti, R. 2002. Using mobile devices for personalized information.
Proceedings of the 5th Joint Conference on Knowledge-Based Software Engineering,
Maribor, Slovenia, 11-13 September 2002:154-163.
- Scholtz J. & Richter, H. 2001. Report from Ubicomp 2001 Workshop: Evaluation
Methodologies for Ubiquitous Computing. In Abowd, G. (ed). ACM SIGCHI Bulletin
- Schwenke, F. & Weideman, M. 2007. Mobile application access channels - technologies,
attributes and awareness. Proceedings of the 9th Annual conference on WWW
applications, Johannesburg, South Africa, 5-7 September 2007.
- Schwenke, F., Weideman, M. & Janse van Rensburg, J. 2008. Mobile access channel
characteristics: a comparison of security dimensions. Proceedings of the 10th Annual
conference on WWW applications, Cape Town, South Africa, 3-5 September 2008.
- Schwenke, F., Weideman, M. & Janse van Rensburg, J. 2009. Measuring the ubiquity
characteristics of mobile access channels. Proceedings of the 10th Annual conference on
WWW applications, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 2-4 September 2009.
- SearchSecurity.com. 2008a. What is authentication? - definition from Whatis.com.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci211621,00.html [22 February
- SearchSecurity.com. 2008b. What is authorization? - definition from Whatis.com.
- Setiawan, T. 2001. The use of J2ME with a Campus portal for Wireless devices.
Preliminary draft of Thesis in partial fulfilment of M.Sc., San Jose State University, San
- Siam, A.Z. 2006. Role of electronic banking services on the profits of Jordanian banks.
American Journal of Applied Sciences, 3(9):1999-2004.
- SmartTrust. 2003. WIG Push Request Protocol Specification - Delivery Platform 6.
- Taddesse, W. & Kidan T.G. 2005. e-Payment: Challenges and opportunities in Ethiopia.
United Nations Economic Commission for Africa.
- Talbot, C. 2007. Mobil users frustrated with complexity, usability. eChannelLine Daily
News: 11 March 2007. http://www.usernomics.com/news/2007/03/mobil-users-frustrated-
with-complexity.html [11 June 2009].
- Thompson, V. 2000. What the hell is...MExE? The Register: 29 March 2000.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/03/29/what_the_hell_is_mexe/ [11 June 2009].
- Van der Merwe, P.B. 2003. Mobile commerce over GSM: A banking perspective on
security. Thesis Master of Science (Electronics), Faculty of Engineering, University of
- Various authors. 2007. Main: how can I get the cellphone number. Sony Ericsson
Developer World. http://developer.sonyericsson.com/thread/35328 [27 May 2008].
- Vodacom. 2008. Vodacom results for the period ended December 31, 2007. Vodacom.
http://www.vodacom.com/vodacom/mccomcrdetail.do?id=1084&action=detail [11 June
- Wikipedia. 2008a. Authentication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia. Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authentication [11 June 2009].
- Wikipedia. 2008b. Non-repudiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia. Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-repudiation [11 June 2009].
- Wikipedia. 2008c. List of mobile network operators of Europe. Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_Europe [11 June 2009].
- Wikipedia. 2008d. List of mobile network operators of the Middle East and Africa.
frica [11 June 2009].
- Yoga, S.A. 2007. Always on! The demise of I-Mode.
http://90273.blogspot.com/2007/10/always-on-demise-of-i-mode.html [11 June 2009].