Search engine optimisation or paid placement systems - user preference.
Neethling, R. 2007. Search engine optimisation or paid placement systems - user preference. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
The objective of this study was to investigate and report on user preference of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), versus Pay Per Click (PPC) results. This will assist online advertisers to identify their optimal Search Engine Marketing (SEM) strategy for their specific target market. Research shows that online advertisers perceive PPC as a more effective SEM strategy than SEO. However, empirical evidence exists that PPC may not be the best strategy for online advertisers, creating confusion for advertisers considering a SEM campaign. Furthermore, not all advertisers have the funds to implement a dual strategy and as a result advertisers need to choose between a SEO and PPC campaign. In order for online advertisers to choose the most relevant SEM strategy, it is of importance to understand user perceptions of these strategies. A quantitative research design was used to conduct the study, with the purpose to collect and analyse data. A questionnaire was designed and hosted on a busy website to ensure maximal exposure. The questionnaire focused on how search engine users perceive SEM and their click response towards SEO and PPC respectively. A qualitative research method was also used in the form of an interview. The interview was conducted with representatives of a leading South African search engine, to verify the results and gain experts' opinions. The data was analysed and the results interpreted. Results indicated that the user perceived relevancy split is 45% for PPC results, and 55% for SEO results, regardless of demographic factors. Failing to invest in either one could cause a significant loss of website traffic. This indicates that advertisers should invest in both PPC and SEO. Advertisers can invest in a PPC campaign for immediate results, and then implement a SEO campaign over a period of time. The results can further be used to adjust a SEM strategy according to the target market group profile of an advertiser, which will ensure maximum effectiveness.
- Alimohammadi, D. 2005. Meta-tags: Still a matter of opinion. The Electronic Library,
- Alimohammadi, D. 2003. Meta-tag: A means to control the process of Web indexing.
Online Information Review, 27(4):238-242.
- Ananzi. 2007. Ananzi submissions. http://www.ananzi.co.za/Add_site/ [Accessed: 13
- Anon, 2007a. Dynamic web page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_web_page
[Accessed: 11 September 2007].
- Anon. 2007b. Internet usage statistics - the big picture. World Internet users and
population stats. http://www.Internetworldstats.com/stats.htm [Accessed: 02 September
- Anon. 2007c. Interview with the representatives of a South African search engine on 5
September 2007. [Recorded on audio cassestte].
- Anon. 2007d. Qualitative research. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualitative_method
[Accessed: 11 October 2007].
- Anon. 2007e. Search engines play significant role. Medical Marketing and Media,
- Anon. 2007f. The Difference between the Internet and the World Wide Web.
18 July 2007].
- Anon. 2007g. What is demographic site selection?
[Accessed: 18 July 2007].
- Anon. 2007h. What is pay-per-action advertising?
[Accessed: 13 September 2007].
- Anon. 2006a. Global online population.
http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=stats/web_worldwide [Accessed: 12 March
- Anon. 2006b. Google search. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_search [Accessed: 01
- Anon. 2006c. Online retail sales grew in 2005.
http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3575456 [Accessed: 15 March 2007].
- Baker, L. 2005.Yahoo! boast size of its search engine index.
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/?p=2036 [Accessed: 21 February 2007].
- Barker, J. 2006. Metasearch engines.
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/MetaSearch.html [Accessed: 12
- Bennet, R. 1997. Export marketing and the Internet: Experiences of website barriers
among UK businesses. International Marketing Review, 14(5):324-344.
- Bifet, A., Castillo, C., Chirita, P. & Weber, I. 2005. An analysis of factors used in search
engine ranking. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Adversarial
Information Retrieval on the Web (AIRWeb), Chiba, Japan, 10-14 May 2005.
- Briggs, R. & Hollis, N. 1997. Advertising on the web: Is there response before click-
through? Journal of Advertising Research, 37(2):33-45.
- Bruner, R. 2005. The decade in online advertising.
http://www.doubleclick.com/insight/research/index.aspx [Accessed: 15 March 2007].
- BTLookSmart. 2001. The great search engine debate.
http://www.btlooksmart.com/en/newsrelease-301101.html [Accessed: 12 March 2007].
- Chambers, R. 2005. Search engine strategies: A model to improve website visibility for
SMME websites. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology,
- Chen, L. & Luh, C. 2005. Web page prediction from meta search results. Internet
- Chen, J. & Ringel, M. 2001. Can advergaming be the future of interactive advertising?
http://www.locz.com.br/loczgames/advergames.pdf [Accessed: 12 March 2007].
- Clay, B. 2006a. Put SEO in your site design. http://www.bruceclay.com/seo/articles.htm
[Accessed: 15 July 2007].
- Clay, B. 2006b. Avoiding SEO pitfalls. http://www.bruceclay.com/seo/articles.htm
[Accessed: 15 July 2007].
- Crimmins, J. & Horn, M. 1996. Sponsorship: From management ego trip to marketing
success. Journal of Advertising Research, 36(3):11-21.
- Cockrell, B. J. & Jayne, E. A. 2002. How do I find an article? Insight from a web usability
study. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 28(3):122-132.
- Constantinides, E. 2004. Influencing the online consumer's behaviour: The Web
experience. Internet Research, 14(2):111-126.
- Curran, K. 2004. Tips for achieving high positioning in the results pages of the major
search engines. Information Technology Journal, 3(2):202-205.
- Davies, H. T. O. 2001. What are confidence intervals?
[Accessed: 01 October 2007].
- Dawson, A. & Hamilton, V. 2006. Optimising metadata to make high-value content more
accessible to Google users. Journal of Documentation, 62(3):307-327.
- DynamicLogic. 2002. Rich Media Campaigns twice as effective at lifting brand message
association. http://www.dynamiclogic.com/na/research/btc/beyond_0602.php [Accessed:
15 February 2007].
- Enquiro. 2004. Inside the searcher's mind: It's a jungle in here!
http://www.enquiro.com/net-profit/Inside-Searcher's-Mind.asp [Accessed: 11 March
- Evans, M. P. 2007. Analyzing Google rankings through search engine optimization data.
Internet Research, 17(1):21-37.
- Fiore, A. M., Jin, H. J., & Kim, J. 2005. For fun and profit: Hedonic value from image
interactivity and responses toward an online store. Psychology & Marketing, 22(8):669 -
- Forthey, L. 2003. Web directories: a selected list.
http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/library/webdirectories.pdf [Accessed: 19 July 2007].
- Fortunato, S., Boguna, M., Flammini, A. & Menczer, F. 2006. How to make the top ten:
approximating PageRank from In-degree. Proceedings of the 14th International World
Wide Conference, Edinburgh, 22-26 May 2006,
http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/cs/pdf/0511/0511016.pdf [Accessed: 21 August 2007].
- Gal-Or, E., Gal-Or, M., May, J. H. & Spangler, W. E. 2006. Targeted advertising
strategies on television. Management Science, 52(5):713-725.
- Geddes, B. 2006. AdWords demographic targeting not MSN AdCenter killer.
[Accessed: 19 February 2007].
- George, D. 2005. The ABC of SEO. Morrisville, NC: Lulu Press.
- Gluck, M. & Bruner, R. E. 2005. The evolution of rich media advertising.
http://www.doubleclick.com/insight/research/index.aspx [Accessed: 21 March 2007].
- Green, D. 2000. The evolution of web searching. Online Information Review, 24(2):124-
- Guenther, K. 2001. Follow the information and you'll find a librarian. Computers in
Libraries Journal, 211(10):52-54.
- Gulli, A. & Signorini, A. 2005. The indexable web has more that 11.5 billion pages. In
poster proceedings of the 14th International conference on World Wide Web
conference, Chiba, Japan, 10 May-14 May 2005, http://www2005.org/cdrom/index.htm
[Accessed: 21 March 2007].
- Henshaw, R. 2001. What next for Internet journals? Implications of the trend towards
paid placement in search engines. First Monday, 6(9).
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue6_9/henshaw/index.html [Accessed: 13 August
- Henshaw, R. & Valauskas, E. J. 2001. Metadata as a catalyst: Experiments with
metadata and search engines. Firstmonday, Libri, 51(2):86-101.
- Henzinger, M. R., Motwani, R. & Silverstein, C. 2002. Challenges in Web search
engines. ACM SIGIR Forum, 36(2):11-22.
- Hinman, L. M. 2005. Esse est indicato in Google: Ethical and political Issues in search
engines. International Review of Information Ethics, 3(3):19-25.
- Hoffman, E. C. 2002. Information and communication technology, virtual offices and
telework. South African Journal of Information Management, 4(2). http://sajim.co.za
[Accessed: 24 February 2007].
- Hotchkiss, G. Alston, S & Edwards, G. 2005. Eye tracking study.
http://www.enquiro.com/Eyetracking2-Sample.pdf [Accessed: 22 March 2007].
- Hu, W., Chen, Y., Schmalz, M. S. & Ritter, G. X. 2001. An overview of World Wide Web
search technologies. Proceedings of SCI2001- 5th world multi-conference on systems,
cybernetics and informatics, Orlando, Florida, Luglio, 22-25 July 2001:356-361.
- Hubbard, J. 2004. Indexing the Internet. Essay for Drexel University College of
Information Science and Technology. http://www.tk421.net/essays/babel.html
[Accessed: 22 March 2007].
- Hunt, B. 2005. What, exactly, is search engine spam?
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3483601 [Accessed: 22 March
IAB. 2006. IAB Internet advertising revenue report.
http://www.iab.net/resources/ad_revenue.asp [Accessed: 22 March 2007].
- iProspect. 2006. Search engine user behaviour study.
[Accessed: 17 June 2007].
- iProspect. 2004. Search engine user attitudes survey.
www.iprospect.com/premiumPDFs/iProspectSurveyComplete.pdf [Accessed: 17 June
- Iyer, G., Soberman, D. & Villas-Boas, J. M. 2005. The targeting of advertising. Marketing
- Jansen, B. J. & Molina, P. R. 2006. The effectiveness of the web search engines for
retrieving relevant e-commerce links. Information Processing and Management,
- Jansen, B. J. & Spink, A. 2006. How are we searching the World Wide Web? A
comparison of nine search engine transaction logs. Information Processing and
- Jemmeson, P. 1997. Using the Internet for competitive advantage. Industrial
Management and Data Systems, 97(4):139-142.
- Jennings, J. 2006. Seven Tips for effective landing pages.
http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3623264 [Accessed: 23 February 2007].
- Joines, J. L., Scherer, C. W. & Scheufele, D. A. 2003. Exploring motivations for
consumer web use and their implications for e-commerce. Journal of Consumer
- Kopytoff, V. 2001. Searching for profits: Amid tech slump, more portals sell search
engine results to highest bidder.
[Accessed: 02 July 2007].
- Kritzinger, W. T. 2005. The effect webpage body keyword location has on ranking in
search engine results: an empirical study. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape Peninsula
University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Krueger, J., Ray, R. L. & Knight, L. 2004. Applying web usability techniques to assess
student awareness of library web resources. The Journal of Academic Librarianship,
- Kwan, I. S. Y., Fong, J. & Wong, H. K. 2005. An e-Customer behaviour model with
online analytical mining for Internet marketing planning. Decision Support Systems,
- Lastowka, F. G. 2002. Search engines under siege: Do Paid Placement listings infringe
trademarks? Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, 14(7):11-17.
- Lawrence, S. & Giles, C. L. 1999. Accessibility of information on the Web. Nature,
- Lee, H., Fiore, A. M. & Kim, J. 2006. The role of the technology acceptance model in
explaining effects of image interactivity technology on consumer responses. International
Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 34(8):621-644.
- Li, H. 2005. Current status of Internet advertising. China Media Research, 1(1):54-60.
- Li, H. & Bukovac, J. L. 1999. Cognitive impact of banner ad characteristics: An
experimental study. Journal of Mass Communication Quarterly, 76(2):341-353.
- Li, H. & Leckenby, J. D. 2004. Internet advertising formats and effectiveness.
[Accessed: 10 April 2007].
- Liaw, S. & Huang, H. 2003. An investigation of user attitudes toward search engines as
an information retrieval tool. Computers in Human Behavior, 19(6):751-765.
- Lloyd-Martin, H. 2004. Delving deep inside the searcher's mind.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3406911 [Accessed: 17 February
- Lorigo, L., Pan, B., Hembrooke, H., Joachims, T., Granka, L. & Gay, G. 2006. The
influence of task and gender on search and evaluation behaviour using Google.
Information Processing and Management: An International Journal, 42(4):1123-1131.
- Lourens, S. 2005. The development and evaluation of an interactive computer-based
training (CBT) module. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape Peninsula University of
Technology, Cape Town.
- Marckini, F. 2000. How to avoid trouble with the engines.
http://www.inc.com/articles/2000/02/17232.html [Accesed: 02 September 2007].
- Machill, M., Neuberger, C. & Schindler, F. 2003. Transparency on the net: functions and
deficiencies of Internet search engines. Info - The Journal of Policy, Regulation and
Strategy for Telecommunications, 5(1):52-74.
- Mbikiwa, F. N. 2005. Search engine exclusion policies: implications on indexing e-
commerce websites. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape Peninsula University of
Technology, Cape Town.
- Mbikiwa, F. & Weideman, M. 2006. Implications of search engine spam on the visibility
of South African e-Commerce websites. South African Journal of Information
Management, 8(4). http://sajim.co.za [Accessed: 02 September 2007].
- McCarthy, J. 2006. User navigation behaviour to affect link popularity. Quoted in search
engine RoundTable, www.seroundtable.com/archives/001901.html [Accessed: 23
- McGann, R. 2004. Google and Overture define Click Fraud.
http://www.clickz.com/showpage.html?page=3453201 [Accessed: 20 June 2007].
- McGee, M. 2004. Search engines vs. web directories.
http://www.owtweb.com/resources/search-engines-directories.html [Accessed: 01
- Mohamed, K. A. F. 2006. The impact of metadata in web resources discovering. Online
Information Review, 30(2):155-167.
- Moran, M. & Hunt, B. 2005. Search engine marketing, Inc.: Driving search traffic to your
company's web site. New York: IBM Press.
- Moxley, D., Blake, T. & Maze, S. 2004. Web search engine advertising practices and
their effect on library services. Managing Library Finances, 17(2):61-65.
- Nachmias, R. & Gilad, A. 2002. Needle in a hyperstack: Searching for information on the
World Wide Web. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 34(4):214-222.
- Ngindana, M. 2006. Visibility of e-commerce websites to search engines: A comparison
between text-based and graphic-based hyperlinks. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape
Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Nielsen, J. 2006. F-shaped pattern for reading web content.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html [Accessed: 13 October 2007].
- Notess, G. R. 2003. On the net: A decade on the Net. Online, 27(2):53-55.
- Oppenheim, C., Morris, A. & McKnight, C. 2000. The evaluation of WWW search
engines. Journal of Documentation, 56(2):190-211.
- Pew Internet & American Life. 2002. College students Internet use.
http://www.pewInternet.org/pdfs/PIP_College_Report.pdf [Accessed: 01 October 2007].
- Poulter, A. 1997. The design of the World Wide Web search engines: a critical review.
- Rachtchy, S. 2005. Online advertising's tipping point approaches.
http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3569361 [Accessed: 05 April 2007].
- Riquelme, H. & Kegeng, W. 2004. The unintended effects of hidden assumptions: biases
on the Internet. Online Information Review, 28(6):444-453.
- Ru, Y. & Horowitz, E. 2005. Indexing the invisible web: A survey. Online Information
- Rugg, G. & Petre, M. 2007. Research methods. Berkshire, England: Open University
- Ryan, J. & Whiteman, N. 2000. Online advertising glossary: Sponsorships.
http://clickz.com/article/cz.1715.html [Accessed: 17 February 2007].
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. & Thornhill, A. 1997. Research methods for business students.
Long Acre, London: Pitman Publishing.
- Schlosser, A. E. 2003. Experiencing products in the virtual world: The role of goal and
imagery in influencing attitudes versus purchase intensions. Journal of Consumer
- SEMPO. 2006. Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization survey of SEM
agencies and advertisers. http://www.sempo.org/news/releases/02-08-07 [Accessed: 08
- Sen, R. 2005. Optimal search engine marketing strategy. International Journal of
Electronic Commerce, 10(1):9-25.
- Sen, R., King, R. C. & Shaw, M. J. 2006. Buyers choice of online search strategy and its
managerial implications. Journal of Management Information Systems, 23(1):211-238.
- Sherman, C. 2005. Metacrawlers and Metasearch engines.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showpage.html?page=2156241 [Accessed: 14 April
- Sherman, C. 2004. Search engine user attitudes.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3357771 [Accessed: 14 April
- Sherman, C. 2002. Ask the search engines: Coping with fraudulent pay per click traffic.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2159721 [Accessed: 14 April
- Sherman, C. 2001. Search Engine or Directory?
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2158811 [Accessed: 26 February
- Sherman, C. & Price, G. 2002. The invisible web: uncovering information sources search
engines can't see. New Jersey: Information Today, Inc.
- Sicilia, M., Ruiz, S. & Munuera, J. L. 2005. Effects of interactivity in a website: The
moderating effect of need for cognition. Journal of Advertising, 34(3):31-44.
- Sorce, P., Perotti, V. & Widrick, S. 2005. Attitude and age difference in online buying.
International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 33(2):122-132.
- Struwig, F. W. & Stead, G. B. 2001. Planning, designing and reporting research.
Pinelands, Cape Town: Pearson Education South Africa.
- Sullivan, D. 2007. How search engines work.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2168031 [Accessed: 01 October
- Sullivan, D. 2006. Nielsen Netratings search engine ratings.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2156451 [Accessed: 01 October
- Sullivan, D. 2003a. How search engines rank webpages.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2167961 [Accessed: 08 March
- Sullivan, D. 2003b. Hot trends in search engine marketing.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2161911 [Accessed: 08 March
- Sullivan, D. 2002a. FTC recommends disclosure to search engines.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2164891 [Accessed: 19 July
- Sullivan, D. 2002b. Intro to search engines optimization.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2167921 [Accessed: 29
- Sullivan, D. 2002c. How to use HTML meta tags.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2167931 [Accessed: 01 October
- Sullivan, D. 2001a. SpiderSpotting: When a search engine, robot or crawler visits.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2168001 [Accessed: 07 March
- Sullivan, D. 2001b. The evolution of paid inclusion.
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2163971 [Accessed: 01 October
- Sundar, S. S. & Kalyanaraman, S. 2004. Arousal, memory, and impression-formation
effects of animation speed in web advertising. Journal of Advertising, 33(1):7-17.
- Terdiman, D. 2005. Gunning for game dollars.
[Accessed: 17 April 2007].
- Thelwall, M. 2001. Commercial website links. Internet Research: Electronic applications
and policy, 11(2):114-124.
- Thurow, S. 2003. Search engine visibility. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing.
- Van der Westhuizen, M. 2001. The invisible web. South African journal of Information
Management, 3(4). http://www.sajim.com [Accessed: 11 July 2007].
- Vedrashko, I. 2006. Advertising in computer games. Unpublished MSCMS tesis.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Massachusetts.
- Visser, E. B. 2006. Search engine optimisation elements' effect on website visibility: The
Western Cape real estate SMME sector. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape Peninsula
University of Techology, Cape Town.
- Vos, A. S., Strydom, H., Fouche, C. B. & Delport, C. S. L. 2002. Research at grass roots.
Hatfield, Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Wall, A. M. 2007. History of search engines: From 1945 to Google 2007.
http://www.search-marketing.info/search-engine-history/#early-engines [Accessed: 23
- Wall, A. M. 2006. Search engine optimization book: Google AdWords & Yahoo! PPC
tips. http://www.seobook.com/overture-adwords.pdf [Accessed: 23 March 2007].
- Weideman, M. 2002. Effective application of metadata in South African HEI websites to
enhance visibility to search engines. Proceedings of the 4th Annual Conference on
WWW Applications (WWW2002), Belleville, South Africa,
4-6 September 2002.
- Weideman, M. & Chambers, R. 2006. Improving website visibility and information
retrieval of e-Commerce ventures: A specification to please the crawlers. Proceedings of
e-society 2006, Dublin, Ireland, 13-16 July 2006:2:285-289.
- Weideman, M. & Chambers, R. 2005. Application of best practice towards improving
website visibility to search engines: A pilot study. South African Journal of information
Management, 7(4). http://www.sajim.co.za [Accessed: 14 February 2007].
- Wilkinson, T. A. 2004. Just say no to SEO spam.
http://www.stc.org/intercom/PDFs/2004/2004012_36-37&42.pdf [Accessed: 01 October
- Winkler, T. & Buckner, K. 2006. Receptiveness of gamers to embedded brand
messages in advergames: Attitudes towards product placement. Journal of Interactive
- Wittenberg, P. 2004. Search engines: Economics & ethics.
http://www.saintlouisflamenco.com/webmaster/searchengines.htm [Accessed: 26 June
- Wolin, L. D. & Korgaonkar, P. 2003. Web advertising: gender differences in beliefs,
attitudes and behaviour. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and
- Wymbs, C. 2000. How e-commerce is transforming and internationalizing services
industries. Journal of Service Marketing, 14(6):463-478.
- Xie, H. 2004. Online IR system evaluation: online database versus web search engines.
Online Information Review, 28(3):211-219.
- Zhang, J. & Cheung, C. 2003. Meta-search-engine feature analysis. Online Information
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2005. The impact of metadata implementation on web page
visibility in search engine results. Information Processing and Management, 41(3):691-
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2004a. The impact of webpage content characteristics on
webpage visibility in search engine results part 1. Information Processing and
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2004b.The impact of webpage content characteristics on
webpage visibility in search engine results part 2. Information Processing and
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2004c. Internet search engines response to metadata Dublin
core implementation. Journal of Information Science, 30(4):310-320.