Search engine strategies: A model to improve website visibility for SMME websites.
Chambers, R. 2005. Search engine strategies: A model to improve website visibility for SMME websites. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
The Internet has become the fastest growing technology the world has ever seen. It has also gained the ability to permanently change the face of business, including e-business. The Internet has become an important tool required to gain potential competitiveness in the global information environment. Companies could improve their levels of functionality and customer satisfaction by adopting e-commerce, which ultimately could improve their long-term profitability.
Those companies who do end up adopting the use of the Internet, often fail to gain the advantage of providing a visible website. Research has also shown that even though the web provides numerous opportunities, the majority of SMMEs (small, medium and micro enterprises) are often ill equipped to exploit the web's commercial potential. It was determined in this research project through the analysis of 300 websites, that only 6.3% of SMMEs in the Western Cape Province of South Africa appears within the top 30 results of six search engines, when searching for services/products. This lack of ability to produce a visible website is believed to be due to the lack of education and training, financial support and availability of time prevalent in SMMEs. For this reason a model was developed to facilitate the improvement of SMME website visibility.
To develop the visibility model, this research project was conducted to identify potential elements which could provide a possible increase in website visibility. A criteria list of these elements was used to evaluate a sample of websites, to determine to what extent they made use of these potential elements. An evaluation was then conducted with 144 different SMME websites by searching for nine individual keywords within four search engines (Google, MSN, Yahoo, Ananzi), and using the first four results of every keyword from every search engine for analysis. Elements gathered through academic literature were then listed according to the usage of these elements in the top-ranking websites when searching for predetermined keywords. Further qualitative research was conducted to triangulate the data gathered from the literature and the quantitative research.
The evaluative results provided the researcher with possible elements / designing techniques to formulate a model to develop a visible website that is not only supported by arrant research, but also through real current applications. The research concluded that, as time progresses and technology improves, new ways to improve website visibility will evolve. Furthermore, that there is no quick method for businesses to produce a visible website as there are many aspects that should be considered when developing “visible” websites.
- Adams, I. 2003. Overcoming webpage printing problems. Online Magazine,
Issue September/October, 36-41.
- Alimohammadi, D. 2003. Meta-tag: a means to control the process of web
indexing. Online Information Review, 27(4):238-242.
- Baard, V.C. 2004. Interactive information consulting system for South African
small businesses - Part 1. South African Journal of Information
Management, 6(2), June. http://www.sajim.co.za [20 February 2005].
- Barron, C. 2000. Brilliant ideas but spectacular flops. Sunday Times: 1, Apr.9.
- Bearman, D., Miller, E., Rust, G., Trant, J. & Weibel, S. 1999. A common
model to support Interoperable metadata: Progress report on reconciling
metadata requirements from the Dublin core and INDECS/DOI Communities.
D-Lib Magazine, 5:(1), January.
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january99/bearman/01bearman.html [13 May 2005].
- Bennett, R. 1997. Export marketing and the Internet: Experiences of website
barriers among UK businesses. International Marketing Review, 14(5):324-
- Bester, F. 2003. Challenges and risks for South Africa in the information
economy. South African Journal of Information Management, 5(2), June.
http://www.sajim.co.za [01 February 2005].
- Blair, D.C. 1990. Language and representation in Information retrieval.
Elsevier Science Publishers. AE: Amsterdam.
- Boter, H. 2005. SME perspectives on business support services: The role of
company size, industry and location. Journal of Small Business and
Enterprise Development, 12(2):244-258.
- Boyes, J.A & Irani, Z. 2004. An analysis of the barriers and problems to web
infrastructure development experienced by small businesses. Information
Technology and Management, 11(2):189-207.
- Bridges. 2003 . Minnesota's Gateway to Environmental Information.
http://www.bridges.state.mn.us/ [12 April 2005].
- Callan, D. 2004. Your Domain Name. http://www.akamarketing.com/your-
domain-name.html [23August 2005].
- Cape Chamber of Commerce. 2005a. Mission Statement.
http://www.capechamber.co.za/mission.asp [30 July 2005].
- Cape Chamber of Commerce. 2005b. Members.
http://www.capechamber.co.za/members.asp [15 July 2005].
- Clark, M.A, Chou, D.C. & Yen, D.C. 2001. Domain names management: a
strategy for electronic commerce security. Information Management and Computer Security, 9(5):225-232.
Coca-Cola. 2003. The Coca-Cola company.
http://www.coca-cola.com/FlashIndex1.html [10 August 2005].
- Constantinides, E. 2002. From physical marketing to web marketing: the
web-marketing mix. Proceedings of the 35th Hawaii International Conference
on System Science - 2002, Big Island, Hawaii, 7-10 January 2002. New
York: IEEE: 7:2628- 2638.
- Cool, A. 2003. Solving e-commerce issues: some web strategies. South
African Journal of Information Management, 5(1), March.
http://www.sajim.co.za [28 February 2005].
- Cooper, D.R. & Schindler, P.S. 2003. Business research methods. 8th ed.
New York: McGraw-Hill Education Publishing.
- Craven, T.C. 2001. Changes in meta-tag descriptions over time. First
Monday, 6(10), October. http://firstmonday.org/issues6_10/craven/index.html
[28 February 2005].
- Craven, T.C. 2002. What is the title of a webpage? A study of Webography
practice. Information Research Journal, 7(3), April.
http://InformationR.net/ir/7-3/paper130.html [28 February 2005].
- Craven, T.C. 2003. HTML tags as extraction cues for webpage description
construction. Information Science Journal, 6():1-12.
- Dickson, M & Marshall, G. 2004. Search engine secrets. .Net, Issue May, 28-
- Dogpile.com. 2005. What makes Dogpile special?
http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/hep/about.htm [12 April 2005].
- Duncan, V. & Fichter, D.M. 2004. What words and where? Applying usability
testing techniques to name a new live reference service. Medical Library
- Durkin, M. & McGowan, P. 2001. ‘Net effect' - views from the periphery:
exploring the role and importance of the Internet on marketing activity in
entrepreneurial firms. Irish Marketing Review, 14(1):15-25.
- Eldabi, T., Irani, Z., Paul, R.J. & Love P.E.D. 2002. Quantitative and
qualitative decision-making methods in simulation modelling. Management
- Fillis, I., Johannson, U. & Wagner, B. 2004. Factors impacting on e-business
adoption and development in the smaller firm. International Journal of
Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 10(3):178-191.
- Galon, D. 1999. The savvy way to successful website promotion: Secrets of
successful Websites, Attracting on-line traffic. The most up to date guide to
top positioning on search engines. Canada: Trafford Publishing.
- Gandre, A. & Lebbe, R.V. 2005. WP5 - Indexing: Final indexing report: A
biodiversity collection access service for Europe (BioCASE). University Pierre
Et Marie Curie, 1-14. http://www.biocase.org/Doc/Results/WP5/D34_Final
Indexing Report.pdf [12 May 2005].
- Gerhart, A. 2001. The roadblock between your website and customers is
Flash. SEO strategies. http://seotoday.com/browse.php/category/articles/
id/127/index.php [30 May2003].
- Goh, D.H. & Wang, J.C. 2004. Designing a virtual exhibition using Scalable
Vector Graphics. Proceedings of New Information Perspectives, 56(3):144-
- Google.com. 2004. Frequently Asked Questions.
http://www.google.com/help/faq_filetypes.html [30 May 2005].
- Google.com. 2005. Google Information for Webmasters.
http://www.google.co.za/webmasters/guidelines.html [12 September 2005]
- Gorman. R.T. 2000. Get your business online: How to conceptualize, design,
and build an effective business website in less than 30 days. USA:Streetwise
- Green, D. 2000. The evolution of Web searching. Online Information Review,
- Guenther, K. 2004a. Getting your Website Recognized. Online Magazine,
Issue May/June, 47-49.
- Guenther, K. 2004b. Know the fundamentals and good design would follow.
Online Magazine, Issue January/February, 54-56.
- Guenther, K. 2004c. What's your style: Organizing for the web. Online
Magazine, Issue July/August, 46-47.
- Henzinger, M.R., Motwani, R. & Silverstein, C. 2002. Challenges in web
search engines. http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigir/forum/F2002/henzinger.pdf [2
- Hoffman, E.C. 2002. Information and communications technology, virtual
offices and telework. South Africa Journal of Information Management, 4(2),
June. http://www.sajim.co.za [20 May 2005].
- Hubbard, J. 2004. Indexing the Internet. Essay for Drexel University College
of Information Science and Technology.
http://www.tk421.net/essays/babel.html [25 May 2005].
- Internet Systems Consortium. 2005. ISC domain survey: Number of Internet
hosts. http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/ops/ds/host-count-history.php [12 April
- Isaacs, Z. 2004. Good IT strategy helps SMMEs get it right.
http://www.CITInews.com [10 March 2005].
- Jansen, B.J. 2000. The effect of query complexity on Web searching results.
Information Research, (6)1, October. http://InformationR.net/ir/6-
1/paper87.html [15 August 2005].
- Kiani, G.R. 1998. New game, new rules: Will traditional mentality work in the
marketspace? Management Research News, 21(6):1-9.
- Konia B.S. 2002. Search Engine optimization with WebPosition GOLDTM 2.
Texas: Wordware Publishing.
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2005. A study on the correct usage of
webpage keywords to improve search engine ranking. Proceedings of the 7th
Annual Conference on WWW Applications. 31 August - 2 September. South
Africa, Cape Town. http://www.uj.ac.za/www2005/ [12 August 2005].
- Leacock, T. 2005. Building a sustainable e-learning development culture. The
Learning Organization, 12(4):355-367.
- Lubbe, S. 2003. Development of a case study methodology in the information
technology (IT) field in South Africa: a step-by-step approach. South Africa
Journal of Information Management, 5(4). http://www.sajim.co.za [13 July
- Mamma.com. 2005. About Mamma. http://www.mamma.com/info/about.html
[12 April 2005].
- Marketleap. 2005. Marketleap Search Engine Marketing Tools.
http://tools.marketleap.com/verify/ [10 September 2005].
- MINIUSA.COM. 2005. Build your own.
http://www.miniusa.com/link/buildyourown/coopers/ [10 September 2005].
- Nielsen/NetRatings. 2005. Nielsen/Netratings releases top 10 search engine
share rankings from July 2005. http://www.netratings.com/pr/pr_050824.pdf
[05 September 2005].
- Nobles, R & O'Neil S. 2000. Maximize website traffic: build website traffic fast
and free by optimizing search engine placement. USA: Avon, MA:
- Notess, G.R. 1999. On the Net: Rising relevance in search engines. Online
Magazine, Issue May. 84-87.
- Notess, G.R. 2003. A decade on the Net. Online Magazine, Issue
- Oppenheim, C., Morris, A. & McKnight, C. 2000. The evaluation of WWW
search engines. Journal of Documentation, 56(2):190-211.
- Poulter, A. 1997. The design of World Wide Web search engines: a critical
review. Program, 31(2):131-145.
- Quotegarden.com. 2005. Quotations about learning.
http://www.quotegarden.com/learning.html [15 September 2005].
- Rajgopal, S., Kotha, S. & Venkatachalam, M. 2000. The relevance of web
traffic for Internet stock prices. Research Paper No. 1616, 1-33.
http://www.ssrn.com/abstract=207989 [12 May 2005].
- Rogerson, C.M. 2001. Towards a framework for rural SMME development in
South Africa, in M.Khosa (ed), Empowerment through economic
transformation. Durban: African Millennium Press. 271-298.
- Rowley, J. 2001. Remodelling marketing communications in an Internet
environment. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and
Policy: MCB University Press, 11(3):203-212.
- Rowley. J. 2004. Online Branding. Online Information Review, 28(2):131-138.
- Ru, Y. & Horowitz, E. 2005. Indexing the invisible web: a survey. Online
Information Review, 29(3):249-265.
- Searchengines.com. 2003. Don't miss DirectHit -- The ins and outs of click
popularity and stickiness. http://www.searchengines.com/directhit.html [2
- Silverstein, C., Henzinger, M.R., Marais, H. & Moricz, M. 1999. Analysis of a
Very Large Web Search Engine Query Log. SIGIR Forum, 33(1):6-12.
- Simpande, J. & Jakovljevic, M. 2003. Integrating the Internet and enterprise
resource planning (ERP) systems in South Africa electricity utility companies.
- South African Journal of Information Management, 5(1).
http://www.sajim.co.za [20 April 2005].
- Singh, A.M. 2002. The Internet - strategies for optimal utilization in South
Africa. South African Journal of Information Management, 4(1).
http://www.sajim.co.za [15 February 2005].
- Smith, A.G. 2002. Does metadata count? A Webometric investigation.
Proceedings of DC-2002, Florence, 14-17 October 2002. 133-138.
- South Africa Department of Trade and Industry. 2001. State of small
business development in South Africa: Annual review 2001. Pretoria: Ntsika
Enterprise Promotion Agency
- South Africa Business Guidebook. 2003. Boosting small businesses.
ness.htm [13 May 2005].
- Sparkes, A. & Thomas, B. 2001. The use of the Internet as a marketing of
Welsh agri-food SMEs in the twenty-first century. British Food Journal,
- Spink, A. & Xu, J.L. 2000. Selected results from a large study of Web
searching: the Excite study. Information Research, 6(1).
http://InformationR.net/ir/6-1/paper90.html [15 February 2005].
- Srinivasan, P., Ruiz, M. & Lam, W. 1996. An investigation of indexing on the
WWW. Proceedings of the ASIS '96, (33):79-83.
- Struwig F.W. & Stead G.B. 2001. Planning, designing and reporting research.
Pearson Education Publishing. South Africa.
Subia Creative. 2002. Justifying an investment in search engine Marketing.
http://www.subiainteractive.com/art-pref-leads.html [20 May 2004].
- Sullivan, D. 2002. Using Direct Hit Popularity Results.
http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/article.php/2165041 [13 June 2005].
- Thelwall, M. 2000. Effective websites for small and medium-sized
enterprises. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development,
- Thurow, S. 2003. Search Engine Visibility. New Riders Publishing.
- Van Steenderen, M. 2001. Web site management: making a Web site more
visible. South African Journal of Information Management, 2(4).
http://www.sajim.co.za [13 May 2005].
- Van der Westhuizen, M. 2001. The invisible Web. South African Journal of
Information Management, 3(4). http://www.sajim.co.za [13 May 2005].
- Vorster, F. 2005. Interview with the representative of Ananzi on 30 August
2005. [Recorded on audio cassette].
- Weibel, S., Godby, J., Miller, E. & Daniel, R. 1995. OCLC/NCSA Metadata
Workshop Report. http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/metadata.html [13 May
- Weideman, M. 2001. Internet Searching as a study aid for Information
Technology and Information Systems learners at a tertiary level. Doctor of
Philosophy thesis, University of Cape Town, Cape Town.
- Weideman, M. 2002. Effective application of metadata in South African HEI
websites to enhance visibility to Search Engines. Proceedings of the 4th
Annual Conference on WWW Applications (WWW2002), 4 - 6 September
2002, Bellville, South Africa, (CD-ROM).
- Weideman, M. 2004. Ethical issues on content distribution to digital
consumers via paid placements, as opposed to website visibility in search
engine results. Proceedings of ETHICOMP 2004, 14-16 April 2004,
University of the Aegean, Syros. (2):904-915.
- Weideman, M. & Haig-Smith, T. 2002. An investigation into search engines
as a form of targeted advert delivery. Proceedings of South African Institute
of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT):
Enablement Through Technology, 16 - 18 September 2002, Port Elizabeth,
South Africa, 258.
- Weideman, M. & Kritzinger, W. 2003. Search engine information retrieval:
Empirical research on the usage of meta-tags to enhance website visibility
and ranking of e-commerce websites. Proceedings of the 7th World
Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (SCI2003),
Information Systems, Technologies and Applications, 28 - 30 July 2003,
Orlando, USA. 231 - 236.
- Wikipedia.com. 2005. Statistics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical [21July
- Wilson, K.C. 2002. Automatic Indexing: Problems and Solutions. Strathclyde
_appendix8.doc [12 May 2005].
- Wood, L.E. 1998. Ethnographic interviewing for client-centered design.
Provo, UT: Brigham Young University, Department of Psychology.
http://www.byu.edu/~woodl/paper.htm [30 July 2005].
- Yahoo.com. 2004. What is advanced search?.
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/basics/basics-08.html [30 May 2005]
- Xavier, S. 2005. Are you at the top of your game? Checklist for effective
leaders. Journal of Business Strategy, 26(3):32-42.
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2004. The impact of webpage content
characteristics on webpage visibility in search engine results (Part I).
Information Processing and Management, 41(2005):665-690, January.