The development and evaluation of an interactive computer-based training (CBT) module.
Lourens, S. 2005. The development and evaluation of an interactive computer-based training (CBT) module. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
The primary objective of this research was to establish whether or not an interactive multimedia Computer-Based Training (CBT) module could assist learners to gain an improved understanding of their learning material. CBT can be deployed as a mechanism of presenting learning material in a more original, interactive and structured way. Furthermore, CBT has the potential to enhance the learning experience of learners, and by providing stimulation to learn based on their preferred learning styles.
It is of importance to note that external elements such as motivational, personal, and educational factors (e.g. previous experience of CBT and computer use) can influence learning. The secondary objective was to measure if learners will show a positive attitude/reaction towards CBT if applied to the COBOL programming language in a Development Software (DOS1) programme. A substantial number of learners fail DOS1 each year and it has become a requirement to improve the situation by enhancing learning experiences of such learners. Research has shown that learners using interactive multimedia CBT material attain a "learning advantage" over learners receiving classroom-based instruction. Little research however has been conducted in the application of CBT instruction in the teaching of programming languages.
The methods employed in this research include the development of a Macromedia Flash CBT module that supports various animations, and the evaluation of the module's effectiveness as a method for introducing learners to the COBOL programming language. Furthermore, the effects of CBT on learners' attitudes were evaluated. A summative evaluation was used in an online pre-test/post-test approach to determine the effectiveness of the module. After completion of the module, a formative approach was used and the experimental group was requested to complete an online questionnaire for evaluation of the CBT module and to determine the extent of their acceptance thereof.
Results indicate that even though the experimental group (who made use of the CBT module) obtained a higher mean gain score than the control group (who received traditional classroom-based instruction), it proved to be insignificant. Gain scores between and within the two groups did not indicate any significant improvement. The results from this research returned that even though CBT instruction did not show a significant improvement in learner performance, it proved to be at least as effective or equivalent to traditional instruction. Furthermore, results show that CBT lead to improved learning motivation and contributed to a positive attitude towards teaching the COBOL programming language.
- Abels, E.G., White, M.D. & Hahn, K. 1997. Identifying user-based criteria
for Web pages. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications
and Policy, 7(4):252-262.
- Åberg, J. & Shahmehri, N. 2000. The role of human Web assistants in e-
commerce: analysis and a usability study. Internet Research: ElectronicNetworking Applications and Policy, 10(2):114-125.
- Abraham, D., Crawford, L., Lesta, L., Merceron, A. & Yacef, K. 2001. The
logic tutor: a multimedia presentation. Interactive Multimedia Electronic
Journal of Computer-Enhanced Learning, 3(2).
http://www.imej.wfu.edu/articles/2001/2/03/printver.asp [4 May 2004].
- Adams, G. 1992. Why interactive? Multimedia and Videodisc Monitor,
- Adams, T., Kandt, G., Throgmartin, D. & Waldrop, P. 1991. Computer-
assisted instruction vs. lecture methods in teaching the rules of golf.
Physical Educator, 48(3):146-150.
- Alesandrini, K.L. 1984. Pictures and adult learning. Instructional Science,
- Alessi, S.M. & Trollip, S.R. 2nd ed. 1991. Computer-based instruction:
methods and development. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Aly, M., Elen, J. & Willems, G. 2004. Instructional multimedia program
versus standard lecture: a comparison of two methods for teaching the
undergraduate orthodontic curriculum. European Journal of Dental
- Ambler, S.W. 1998. Building object applications that work: your step-by-
step handbook for developing robust systems with object technology. New
York: Cambridge University Press.
- Ambler, S.W. 2000. User interface design: tips and techniques.
http://www.ambysoft.com/userInterfaceDesign.pdf [December 2004].
- Ambler, S.W. 2001. The object primer 2nd edition: the application
developer's guide to object orientation. New York: Cambridge University
Press. http://www.ambysoft.com/theObjectPrimer.html [23 January 2005].
- Anon. 2004. Software evaluation: the process of evaluating software and
its effect on learning.
http://hagar.up.ac.za/catts/learner/eel/Conc/Conceot.htm [5 May 2004].
- Apostolos, S., Panagiotis, A., Athanasios, P. & Konstantinos, L. 2005.
Effects of multimedia computer-assisted instruction (MCAI) on academic
achievement in physical education of Greek students. Interactive
Educational Multimedia, 10:61-77.
- Arnold, M. 1997. Using the Web to augment teaching and learning.
Proceedings of the 1997 ASCILITE Conference, Perth, Australia, 7-10
- Aspillaga, M. 1996. Perceptual foundations in the design of visual
displays. Computers in Human Behavior, 12(4):587-600.
- Ayersman, D.J. 1996. Reviewing the research on hypermedia-based
learning. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 28(4):500-525.
- Azarmsa, R. 1991. Educational computing: principles and applications.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Educational Technology Publications.
- Baek, Y.K. & Layne, B.H. 1998. Color, graphics, and animation in a
computer assisted learning tutorial lesson. Journal of Computer-Based
- Baer, J. 1999. Authoring custom pedagogical agents.
- Bagui, S. 1996. Multimedia training in the fortune 1,000. Training, 33:53-
- Bagui, S. 1998. Reasons for increased learning using multimedia.
Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 7(1):3-18.
- Balasubramanian, V. 2002. Design and evaluation of a web-based
training tool for the User Action Framework explorer. Unpublished MA
thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg.
- Barker, P. 1989. Multimedia Computer Assisted Learning. NY: Kogan
- Barnes D.J. 1999. Public forum Help seeking: the impact of providing
anonymity on student help seeking behaviour. Proceedings of Computer-
Based Learning in Science Conference, The Netherlands, July 1999.
- Barron, A. 1998. Designing web-based training. British Journal of
Educational Technology, 29(4):355-370.
- Basson, L.C. 2002. WebCT: An alternative for the traditional classroom
training. Unpublished MA thesis, University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch.
- Bates, T. (1993). Theory and practice in the use of technology in distance
education. In Keegan, D. (ed.). Theoretical principles of distance
education. London: Routledge: 213-233.
- Becker, D.A. & Dwyer, M.M. 1994. Using hypermedia to provide learner
control. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 3(2):155-172.
- Beckstrand, S.S. 2002. A comparison of on-campus and online course
delivery methods in Southern Nevada. Unpublished PhD thesis,
University of Teesside, Middlesbrough.
- Bednar, A.K., Cunningham, D., Duffy, T.M. & Perry, J.D. 1992. Theory
into practice: how do we link? In Duffy, T.M. & Jonassen, D.H. (eds).
Constructivism and the technology of instruction: a conversation.
Hillsdale, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum: 17-34.
- Belanger, F. & Jordan, D. 2000. Evaluation and implementation of
distance learning: technologies, tools and techniques. s.l.: Idea Group
- Beller, M. 2002. The Crossroads between lifelong learning and
information technology: a challenge facing leading Universities. Open
University of Israel. http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol4/issue2/beller.html
[30 May 2002].
- Benigno, V. & Trentin, G. 2000. The evaluation of online courses.
Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 16(1):259-270.
- Benjamin, D. 2000. Designing for usability: optimising the UCD
framework. Proceedings of the CHI-SA 2000, University of Pretoria,
Pretoria, May 2000.
- Bevan, N. 1999. Quality in use: meeting user needs for quality. Journal
of System and Software, 49(1):89-96.
- Biggs, J. 1999. Teaching for quality learning. Buckingham: Society for
Research into Higher Education and Open University Press.
- Blanchard, D. 1990. A Computer Aided Instruction program: teaching the
disk operating system to community college learners. Unpublished thesis,
Center for advancement of education, Nova University.
- Bissell, V., McKerlie, R.A., Kinane, D.F. & McHugh, S. 2003. Teaching
periodontal pocket charting to dental students: a comparison of computer
assisted learning and traditional tutorials. British Dental Journal,
- Blank, G.D., Kay, E.J., Pottenger, W.M., Heigl, J.J., Roy, S. &
Sahasrabudhe, S.A. 2002a. Teaching abstract data type semantics with
multimedia. http://www.cse.lehigh.edu/~cimel/papers/ECOOP02.pdf [1
- Blank, G.D., Pottenger, W.M., Kessler, G.D., Roy, S., Gevry, D.R., Heigl,
J.J., Sahasrabudhe, S.A. & Wang, Q. 2002b. Design and evaluation of
multimedia to teach Java and object-oriented software engineering.
Proceedings of the 2002 American Society for Engineering Education
Annual Conference & Exposition, Montreal, June 2002: 17-18.
- Borälv, E. 2001. Design and usability in Telemedicine. Unpublished
thesis, Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Boroni, C.M., Goosey, F.W., Grinder, M.T. & Ross, R.J. 1998. A
paradigm shift! The Internet, the Web, browsers, Java, and the future of
computer science education. Proceedings of the 29th SIGCSE Technical
Symposium on Computer Science Education, Atlanta, Georgia, 1998: 145-
- Boyd, T. 1997. Design for multimedia learning. London: Prentice Hall.
- Brace-Govan, J. & Clulow, V. 2001. Comparing face-to-face with online:
learners' perspective. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 5(4):112-118.
- Brahler, C.J., Peterson, N.S. & Johnson, E.C. 1999. Developing on-line
learning materials for higher education: an overview of current issues.
Educational Technology & Society, 2(2):42-54.
- Brick, J., D'Arbon, T. & Robson, J. 1998. Putting the toe into the shark
infested waters: the development of a multi-campus unit and learning
package using Lotus LearningSpace. Proceedings of the 1998
Australasian Society for Computers in Learning In Tertiary Education
(ASCILITE) Conference, Wollongong: 87-96.
- Britain, S. & Liber, O. 1999. A framework for pedagogical evaluation of
virtual learning environments.
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/jtap-041.doc [20 August
- Brooks, D.W. 1997. Web-teaching: a guide to designing interactive
teaching for the World Wide Web. New York: Plenum.
- Brown, B.W. & Liedholm, C.E. 2002. Can Web courses replace the
classroom in principles of Microeconomics? The American Economic
- Brown, S. 1997. Open and distance learning: case studies from industry
and education. s.l.: Kogan Page.
- Butzin, S.M. 2000. Project Child: a decade of success for young
children. Technology Horizons in Educational Journal, 27(11).
http://www.thejournal.com/magazine/vault/A2882.cfm [2 June 2002].
- Buzzell, P.R., Chamberlain, V.M. & Pintauro, S.J. 2002. The
effectiveness of Web-based, multimedia tutorials for teaching methods of
human body composition analysis. Advances in Physiology Education,
- Calitz, A. & Taljaard, M. 2000. An investigation into the use of multimedia
technologies to develop a virtual classroom. Proceedings of the 2000
Conference on IT in Tertiary Education (CITTE), UPE, Port-Elizabeth, 28-
30 June 2000.
- Canfield, A.A. 1992. Canfield Learning Styles Inventory Manual. Los
Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Caraballo, J. 1985. The effect of various visual display modes in
computer-based instruction and language background upon achievement
of selected educational objectives. Unpublished PhD thesis, The
Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania.
- Carey J. M. 2001. Effective student outcomes: a comparison of online and
face-to-face delivery modes. DEOSNEWS 11(9). http://www.ed.psu.edu/
ascde/deos/deosnews/deosarchives.asp [30 June 2002].
- Carr, B.A. 2002. Information, knowledge and learning: is the Web
effective as a medium for Mathematics teaching? Unpublished PhD
thesis, University of Pretoria, Pretoria.
- Carr, J. 1999. The role of higher education in the effective delivery of
multimedia management training to small and medium-sized enterprises.
Educational Technology & Society, 2(2):30-41.
- Carr, T. & Thomas, K. 2000. Online course as prototype: the University
of Free State/eDegree online MBA.
http://www.meg.uct.ac.za/papers/ofspaper.htm [8 December 2003].
- Chang, C.Y. 2000. Enhancing tenth graders' earth science learning
through computer-assisted instruction. Journal of Geoscience Education,
- Chang, C.Y. 2001. A problem-solving based computer-assisted tutorial
for the earth sciences. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 17(3):263-
- ChanLin, L. 2001. Formats and prior knowledge on learning in a
computer in a computer-based lesson. Journal of Computer Assisted
- Chapanis, A. 1991. Evaluating usability. In Shackel, B. & Richardson, S.
(eds). Human factors for informatics usability. Cambridge: Cambridge
- Cho, I.S. & Park, H.A. 1998. Development of a web-based CAI program
for maternity nursing practice. Medinfo, 9(2):736-739.
- Chou, H. 1996. Evaluation of a hypermedia music CAL system.
Proceedings of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, Boston, June
- Chu, L. & Chen, W. 2000. Multimedia application to motor skill learning.
Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2000, Montreal, July 2000: 1257-1258.
- Clarke, D. 1999. Getting results with distance education. The American
Journal of Distance Education, 12(1):38-51.
- Clemenz, C.E., Weaver, P.A. & Gore, F. 2000. ClubCorp goes school:
developing a computer-based training program. Cornell Hotel and
Restaurant Administration Quarterly, December 2000.
- Cockerton, T. & Shimell, R. 1997. Evaluation of hypermedia document as
a learning tool. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 13(2):133-144.
- Cohen, P.A. & Dacanay, L.S. 1992. Computer based instruction and
health professions education: a meta-analysis of outcomes. Evaluation
and The Health Professions, 15:259-281.
- Collins, M.P. & Berge, Z.L. 1994a. Guiding design principles for
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~mpc3/mauri/papers/augusta.html [8 December
- Collins, M.P. & Berge, Z.L. 1994b. Guiding design principles for
interactive Teleconferencing. Proceedings of the New Directions for
Distance Education and Training Conference, University of Maine,
Augusta, September 1994.
- Compeau, D. & Higgens, C. 1995. Application of social cognitive theory
to training for computer skills. Information Systems Research, 6(2):118-
- Constabile, M.F., Garzotto, F., Matera, M. & Paolini, P. s.a. Abstract
tasks and concrete tasks for the usability evaluation of hypermedia
- Constantine, L.L. 1995. Constantine on Peopleware. Englewood Cliffs,
N.J.: Yourdon Press.
- Conyer, M. 1995. User and usability testing: how it should be
undertaken? Australian Journal of Educational Technology, 11(2):38-51.
- Cooper, L. 1999. Anatomy of an on-line course. T.H.E. Journal,
- Cooper, L. 2000. On-line courses: tips for making them work. Electronic
Journal of Instructional Science and Technology (E-Jist), 3(3):20-25.
- Costello, J., Curtis, S., Joyce, E. & Singer, I. 1995. Interactive multimedia
design: a visual approach. Journal of Interactive Instruction Development,
- Cronbach, L.J. 1963. Course improvement through evaluation. Teachers
College Record, 64(8):672-683.
- Cuban, L. 1986. Teachers and machines: The classroom use of
technology since 1920. New York: Teachers College.
- Cybulskik, J.L. & Linden, T. 2000. Teaching systems analysis and design
using multimedia and patterns. Proceedings of the 13th Conference on
Software Engineering Education and Training. Austin, Texas, 6-8 March
[29 September 2005].
- Dagdilelis, V., Evangelidis, G., Satratzemi, M., Efopoulos, V. & Zagouras,
C. 2003. DELYS: a novel microworld-based educational software for
teaching computer science subjects. Computers & Education, 40:307-
- Davies, M.L. & Crowther, D.E.A. 1995. The benefits of using multimedia
in higher education: myths and realities. Active Learning, 3:3-6.
- Davis, F. 1989. Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user
acceptance of information technology. Management Information Systems
- Deacon, A., Paxton, M. & Carr, T. 2000. Creating a project-based
learning environment for commerce courses by customizing an Office
suite. Proceedings of the CITTE 2000, UPE, Port-Elizabeth.
http://www.meg.uct.ac.za/papers/citte.htm [8 December 2003].
- Deacon, H., Walton, M & Wilson, F. 1997. Developing multimedia for
higher education: the experience of the Isiseko project. Proceedings of
the 1997 Future World Conference, UCT, 3 December 1997.
- Debreceny, R. & Ellis, A. 1997. The management of World Wide Web
resources in Australian universities. Proceedings of the 1997 ASCILITE
Conference, Perth, Australia.
- Deer, R., Wright, K. & Solomon, A. 1995. A comparison of student
performance following instruction by computer-assisted instruction versus
traditional lecture method for an undergraduate athletic training program.
KAHPERD Journal, 31:18-20.
- De la Harpe, R. 2003. A simple COBOL report program. Cape Town:
Cape Peninsula University of Technology. [Unpublished course notes].
- Delclos, V.R. & Hartman, A. 1993. The impact of an interactive
multimedia system on the quality of learning in educational psychology:
an exploratory study. Journal of Research on Computing in Education,
- Delport, R. 2003. Computer-mediated communication in undergraduate
mathematics courses. Unpublished MA thesis, University of Pretoria,
- Desai, M.S., Richards, T. & Eddy, J.P. 2000. A field experiment:
instructor-based training vs. computer-based training. Journal of
Instructional Psychology, 27(4):239-243.
- Devitt, P.G. 1994. Clinicians or computers for medical teaching.
Informatics in Healthcare – Australia, 3(2):69-74.
- Dewhurst, D.G. & Williams, A.D. 1998. An investigation of the potential
for a computer-based tutorial program covering the cardiovascular system
to replace traditional lectures. Computers and Education, 31(3):301-317.
- Dick, W. & Carey, L. 1996. The systematic design of instruction. 4th ed.
New York: Addison-Wesley.
- Dix, A., Finlay, J.E., Abowd, G.D. & Beale, R. 1993. Human-Computer
Interaction. New York: Prentice Hall.
Dominguez, P.S. & Ridley, D. 1999. Reassessing the assessment of
distance education courses. T.H.E. Journal, 27(2):70-76.
- Dowie, S. 2003. Evaluating educational multimedia.
http://www.ualberta.ca/~sdowie/multimedia.htm [8 November 2004].
- Downes, S. 1996. Effective interaction and communication with Web
courses. International University Consortium Conference on Web
Delivery. http://www.umuc.edu/iuc/cmc96 [17 July 2001].
- Downes, S. 1998. The future of online learning. Online Journal of
Distance Learning Administration.
http://www.westga.edu/~distance/downes13.html [25 August 2005].
- Draper, S.W. 1996. Observing, measuring, or evaluating courseware.
http://www.psy.gla.ac.uk/~steve/Eval.HE.html [4 May 2004].
- Draper S.W. 1998. Prospects for summative evaluation. Association for
Learning Technology Journal, 5(1):33-39.
- Dunn, R., Beaudry, J.S. & Klavas, A. 1989. Survey of research on
learning styles. Educational Leadership, 46(6):50-58.
- Dykman, A. 1994. Ready for the technoworld? Vocational Education
Eckerman, D.A., Abrahamson, K.l., Ammerman, T., Fercho, H., Rohlman,
- D.S. & Anger, W.K. 2004. Computer-based training for food services
workers at a hospital. Journal of Safety Research, 35(3):317-327.
- Eilers, P. 2002. Developing effective multimedia for users.
- El-Tigi, M. & Branch, R.M. 1997. Designing for interaction, learner
control, and feedback during web-based learning. Educational
- Engum, S.A., Jeffries, P. & Fisher, L. 2003. Intravenous catheter training
system: computer-based education versus traditional learning methods.
The American Journal of Surgery, 186(1):67-74.
- Escanero, E. & Aldo, J.O. 1987. Evaluation of computer-assisted
instruction in Biochemistry: the Krebs cycle. Biochemical Education,
- Evans, C. & Fan, P.F. 2002. Lifelong learning through the virtual
university. Campus-Wide Information Systems, 19(4):127-134.
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/1065-0741.htm [30 August 2005].
- Farmer, L.S. 1995. Multimedia: multi-learning tool. Technology
- Feenberg, A. 1998. Distance learning: promise or threat? http://www-
rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/feenberg/TELE3.HTM [19 August 2005].
- Felix, U. 1998. Virtual language learning: potential and practice.
- Fenton, N.E. 1991. Software metrics: a rigorous approach. s.l.:
Chapman & Hall.
- Ficarra, F.V. 1996. Evaluation and communication techniques in
multimedia product design for on the net university education.
Proceedings of the 1996 Eurographics Workshop on Multimedia, Rostock,
Germany, 1996: 151-165.
- Fidalgo, A. 1993. Multimedia for education and productivity: objectives
vs. objectives. Proceedings of the World Congress Multimedia, Sitges.
- Filipczak, B. 1995. Different strokes: learning styles in the classroom.
- Fitzgerald, G.E. & Koury, K.A. 1996. Empirical advances in technology-
assisted instruction for students with mild and moderate disabilities.
Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 28(4):526-553.
- Fletcher, S. & Benson, R. 1996. The evaluation of electronic delivery of
distance education courses. Proceedings of the 1996 EDMEDIA, Monash
- Frey, D. & Soloway, E. 1987. Interface design: a neglected issue in
educational software. Proceedings of the 1987 ACM CHI and GI
Conference on Human Factors in Computing systems and Graphics
- Frith, V. 1997a. Evaluation of courseware for higher education.
http://www.civeng.uct.ac.za/caleng/eval.htm [26 March 2004].
- Frith, V. 1997b. How can CAL make teaching and learning more
effective? http://www.civeng.uct.ac.za/caleng/caladv.htm [26 March
- Frith, V. 1997c. The evaluation of computer-based teaching aids.
http://www.civeng.uct.ac.za/caleng/caleng.htm [26 March 2004].
- Frith, V. 1997d. Evaluation of authoring software.
http://www.civeng.uct.ac.za/caleng/packages.htm [26 March 2004].
- Frith, V. 1997e. Disadvantages of CAL.
http://www.civeng.uct.ac.za/caleng/caldisad.htm [26 March 2004].
- Funkhouser, C. 2003. The effects of computer-augmented Geometry
instruction on student performance and attitudes. Journal of Research on
Technology in Education, 35(2):163-175.
- Gaffney, G. 1999. Usability testing: information & design.
.asp [1 Augustus 2005].
- Gaines, C., Johnson, W. & King, T. 1996. Achieving technological equity
and equal access to the learning tools of the 21st century. T.H.E Journal,
- Galitz, W.O. 1997. The essential guide to user interface design: an
introduction to GUI design principles and techniques. New York: Wiley.
- Gardner, L., Sheridan, D. & White, D. 2002. A web-based learning and
assessment system to support flexible education. Journal of Computer
Assisted Learning, 18(2):125-136.
- Garzotto, F., Matera, M. & Paolini, P. 1998. To use or not to use?
Evaluating usability of museum Web sites.
- Gaytan, J.A. & Slate, J.R. 2003. Multimedia and the College of Business:
a literature review. Journal of Research on Technology in Education,
- Gerkin, P. 2004. Make mine multimedia!
http://www.eeicommunications.com/newmedia/mmedia/nsf.html [19 April
- Gilroy, P., Long, P. Rangecroft, M. & Tricker, T. 2001. Evaluation and the
invisible student: theories, practice and problems in evaluating distance
education provision. Quality Assurance in Education, 9(1):14-22.
- Glenberg, A.M. & Langston, W.E. 1992. Comprehension of illustrated
text: pictures help to build mental models. Journal of Memory and
- Glennan, T. & Melmed, A. 1996. Fostering the use of educational
technology: elements of a national strategy. Washington, D.C.: The
- Gloor, P. 1992. ACCE: algorithm animation for computer science
education. Proceedings of the 33rd SIGCSE Technical Symposium on
Computer Science Education. ACM.
- Gnisci, A., Papa, F. & Spedaletti, S. 1999. Usability aspects, socio-
relational context and learning performance in the virtual classroom: a laboratory experiment. Behaviour & Information Technology, 18(6):431-
- Goldberg, M.W. & Salari, S. 1997a. An update on WebCT (World-Wide-
Web course tools): a tool for the creation of sophisticated Web-based learning environments.
http://homebrew1.cs.ubc.ca/webct/papers/nauweb/full-paper.html [19 April
- Goldberg, M.W. & Salari, S. 1997b. An update on WebCT (World-Wide-
Web course tools): a tool for the creation of sophisticated Web-based learning environments. Proceedings of the 1997 NAUWeb - Current
practices in Web-based course development, Flagstaff, Arizona, 12-15
- Goldstein, I.L. 1993. Training in organizations – needs assessment,
development, and evaluation. 3rd ed. California: Brooks/Cole.
- Graves, WH. 1997. "Free Trade" in higher education: the meta
university. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 1(1):97-108.
http://www.aln.org/alnweb/journal/jaln_Vol1issue1.htm [30 August 2005].
- Greenberg, S. & Carpendale, S. 1999. Curricula for human-computer
interaction. Proceedings of the 1999 ACM SIGCHI Conference, 1999:5.
http://www.acm.org/sigchi/cdg/index.html [25 August 2005].
- Guba, E.G. & Lincoln, Y.S. 1981. Effective evaluation. Jossey-Bass.
- Gul, Y.A., Wan, A.C.T. & Darzi, A. 1999. Undergraduate surgical
teaching utilizing telemedicine. Medical Education, 33(8):596-599.
- Gunawardena, C., Lowe, C. & Carabajal, K. 2000. Evaluating online
learning: models and methods. Proceedings of the 2000 Society for
Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference,
San Diego, California, 2000: 1677-1684.
- Gunnarsson, C.L. 2001. Development and assessment of students:
attitudes and achievement in a Business Statistics course taught online.
Interactive Multimedia Electronic Journal of Computer-Enhanced Learning,
3(2). http://imej.wfu.edu/articles/2001/2/07/printver.asp [4 May 2004].
- Gunn, C. & Maxwell, L. 1996. CAL in human anatomy. Journal of
Computer Assisted Learning, 12:205-15.
- Gupta, A. 2002. Content development for eLearning in engineering
education. Interactive Educational Multimedia, 4:12-23.
- GVU. 1998. GVU's 10th WWW user survey.
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/user_surveys/survey-1998-10/ [1 August
- Halal, W. & Liebowitz, J. 1994. Telelearning: the multimedia revolution in
education. Futurist, 28(6):21-26.
- Hall, B. 1995. Return on the Investment and Multimedia Training.
Whitepaper for Multimedia Training Newsletter. Sunnyvale, CA.
- Hannafin, M.J. & Hooper, S. 1989. An integrated framework for CBI
screen design and layout. Computers in Human Behaviour, 5(3):155-165.
- Hannafin, M.J. & Peck, K. 1988. The design, development and evaluation
of instructional software. New York: Macmillan.
- Harrington, S.S. & Walker, B.L. 2001. A comparison of computer-based
and instructor-led training for long-term care staff. The Journal of
continuing Education in Nursing, 33(1):39-44.
- Harrington, S.S. & Walker, B.L. 2003a. Is computer-based instruction an
effective way to present fire safety training to long-term care staff? Journal
for Nurses in Staff Development, 19(3):147-154.
- Harrington, S.S. & Walker, B.L. 2003b. The effect of computer-based
training as compared to instructor-led training on immediate and residual
learning of nursing facility staff. Unpublished report.
- Hartley, J.R. & Collins-Brown, E. 1999. Effective pedagogies for
managing collaborative learning in on-line learning environments.
Educational Technology & Society, 2(2):12-19.
- Harvey, J. 1998. Evaluation Cookbook. Edinburgh: learning technology
dissemination Initiative. http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/tdi/cookbook/index.html
[1 September 2005].
- Hashiba, M., Inagawa, K., Matsuto, T., Motonaga, A., Yamakawa, T. & Akazawa, K. 2000. Application of the RealAudio package to
computerized medical lectures. Medical Informatics & The Internet in
- Head, A.J. 1999. Design wise: A guide for evaluating the interface
design of information resources. Medford, N.J.: CyberAge.
- Hedberg, J.G. & Metros, S.E. 1997. Visualising interface for multimedia
and the Web. Proceedings of the 1997 EDMEDIA Workshop.
- Herrington, J. & Oliver, R. 1997. Multimedia, magic and the way students
respond to a situated learning environment. Australian Journal of
Educational Technology, 13(2):127-143.
- Hiltz, S.R. 1994. The virtual classroom. Learning without limits via
computer network. Norwood: Ablex.
- Hiltz, R., Coppola, N., Rotter, N., Turoff, M. & Benbunan-Fich, R. 1999.
Measuring the importance of collaborative learning for the effectiveness of
ALN: a multi-measure, multi-method approach. Journal of Asynchronous
Learning Networks, 4(2). http://www.sloan-
c.org/publications/jaln/v4n2_hiltz.asp [25 August 2005].
- Hix, D. & Hartson, H.R. 1993. Developing user interfaces: ensuring
usability through product and process. New York: Wily.
- Hobson, R.S., Carter, N.E., Hall, F.M. & Atkins, M.J. 1998. A study into
the effectiveness of a text-based computer-aided learning program in
comparison with seminar teaching of orthodontics. European Journal of
Dental Education, 2:154-159.
- Hofstetter F.T. 1992. Institutional support for improving instruction with
multimedia. EDUCOM Review, 27(1):27-30.
- Hofstetter, F.T. 1993. Design and construction of a multimedia
technology catt. Techtrends, 38(2):22-24.
- Hohmann, L. 2003. Usability: Happier users mean greater profits.
Information System Management, 20(4):66-76.
- Hokanson, B. & Hooper, S. 2000. Computers as cognitive media:
examining the potential of computers in education. Computers in Human
- Holt, R.I.G., Miklaszewicz, P., Cranston, I.C., Russell-Jones, D., Rees,
P.J. & S onksen, P.H. 2001. Computer assisted learning is an effective
way of teaching endocrinology. Clinical Endocrinology, 55(4):537-542.
- Hom, J. 1996. Prototyping.
http://jthom.best.vwh.net/usability/prototyp.htm [30 August 2004].
- Hoogeveen, M. 1997. Towards a theory of the effectiveness of
multimedia systems. International Journal of Human Computer
- Hornung, R., Lennon, P., Garrett, J., DeVellis, R. Weinberg, P. & Strecher,
V. 2000. Interactive computer technology for skin cancer prevention
targeting children. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 18(1):69-76.
- Horton, S. 2000. Web teaching guide: a practical guide to creating
course web sites. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Ibrahim, B. & Franklin, S.D. 1995. Advanced educational uses of the
WWW. Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 27(6):871-877.
- Igbarria, M. & Parasuraman, S. 1989. A path analytic study of individual
characteristics, computer anxiety and attitudes toward microcomputers.
Journal of Management Information Systems, 11(4):87-114.
- Issa, R.R.A., Cox, R.F. & Killingsworth, C.F. 1999. Impact of multimedia-
based instruction on learning and retention. Journal of Computing in Civil
ISO 9241-11. 1998. Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual
display terminals (VDT)s – Part 11 Guidance on usability.
- ISO/IEC 9126. 1991. Software product evaluation – Quality
characteristics and guidelines for their use.
Jacobs, G. 1998. Evaluating courseware: some critical references.
- Innovation in Education and Training International, 35(1):3-8.
Jeffries, P.R., Wool, S., & Linde, B. 2003. Technology-based vs.
traditional instruction: a comparison of two methods for teaching the skill
of performing a 12-lead ECG. Nursing Education Perspective, 24(2):70-
- Johnson, P. & Nemetz, F. 1998. Towards principles for the design and
evaluation of multimedia systems. In Johnson, H., Nigay, L. & Roast, C.
(eds). People and Computers XIII. Springer-Verlag, 1998: 255-271.
- Johnson, W.L. 1998. Pedagogical agents. Proceedings of the 6th
International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE), 1998.
- Johnson, W.L., Rickel, J.W. & Lester, J. 2000. Animated pedagogical
agents: face-to-face interaction in interactive learning environments.
International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education.
- Jonassen, D.H., Peck, K.L. & Wilson, B.G. 1999. Learning with
technology: a constructivist perspective. New Jersey: Merrill/Prentice
- Jones, A., Scanlon, E., Tosunoglu, C., Ross, S., Butcher, P., Murphy, P. &
Greenberg, J. 1996. Evaluating CAL at the Open University: 15 years
on. Computers and Education, 26(1-3):5-15.
- Jones, M.K. 1989. Human-computer interaction: a design guide.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Educational Technology Publications.
- Jung, D.J., Keel, R.O. & Irons, L.R. 1998. Interactivity in distance
education: the Missouri IVPTF experiment. Proceedings of the
International Conference on the Social Impact of Information
Technologies, St. Louis, Missouri, October 1998.
- Kantner, L., Shroyer, R. & Rosenbaum, S. 2002. Structured heuristic
evaluation of online documentation. Proceedings of the annual
conference of the IEEE Professional Communication Society.
- Katz-Hass, R. 1998. Ten guidelines for user-centered Web design.
Usability Interface, 5(1). http://www.stcsig.org/usability/newsletter/9807-
webguide.html [29 September 2005].
- Kaupins, G. 2002. Trainer opinions of selected computer-based training
methods. Journal of Education for Business, 77(6):319-323.
- Keats, D. 2001. University of the Western Cape. University of Western
Cape develops innovative online learning software.
http://www.kewl.uwc.ac.za/aboutkewl/release1.htm [17 July 2001].
- Keeler, C.M. & Anson, R. 1995. An assessment of cooperative learning
used for basic computer skills instruction in the college classroom.
Educational Computing Research, 12(4):379-393.
- Kennedy, G., Petrovic, T. & Keppell, M. 1998. The Development of
multimedia evaluation criteria and a program of evaluation for computer
aided learning. Proceedings of the 1998 ASCILITE Conference, April
- Keyes, J. 1990. Stimulating students: Technology-driven instruction can
spice up training sessions. Computerworld, 24:113.
- Kilby, T. 1999. Advantages and disadvantages of web based training.
http://www.webbasedtraining.com/primer_advdis.aspx [1 August 2005].
- Kilby, T. 2005. WBT advantages and disadvantages.
http://www.webbasedtraining.com/primer_advdis.aspx [1 August 2005].
- Kim, S. & Lee, W. 2000. The effects of a hypermedia CAI system on the
academic achievement of elementary school students in Korea.
Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2000, Montreal, July 2000: 491-495.
- Kinney, N. 2001. A guide to design and testing in online Psychology
courses. Psychology Learning and Teaching, 1(1):16-20.
- Kirkpatrick, D.L. 1975. Techniques for evaluating training programs. In
Evaluating Training Programs. Alexandria, VA: American Society for
Training and Development: 1-17.
- Kirkpatrick, D.L. 1979. Techniques for evaluating training programs.
Training and Development Journal, 33(6):78-92.
- Kirkpatrick, D.L. 1996. Evaluating training programs: the four levels. San
- Kirkpatrick, D.L. 1959a. Techniques for evaluating training programs.
[4 August 2005].
- Kirkpatrick, D.L. 1959b. Techniques for evaluating training programs.
Training and Development Journal, 13(11):9-12.
- Klett, F. 2001. Authoring for Web-based educational activities.
Proceedings of the 12th International Scientific Annual Conference of the
European Association for Education in Electrical and Information
- Klett, F. 2002. Visual Communication in Web-based learning
environments. Educational Technology & Society, 5(4):38-48.
- Koehn, E. 1995. Interactive communication in civil engineering class-
rooms. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and
- Koohang, A. 1989. A study of attitudes toward computers: anxiety,
confidence, liking, and perception of usefulness. Journal of Research on
Computing in Education, 22(2):137-150.
- Koohang, A. & Durante, A. 2003. Learners' perceptions toward the Web-
based distance learning activities/assignments portion of an
undergraduate hybrid instructional model. Journal of Information
Technology Education, 2(2):105-113.
- Kraus, D.C. & Gramopadhye, A.K. 2001. Effect of team training on
aircraft maintenance technicians: computer-based training versus
instructor-based training. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics,
- Kulik, C.C. & Kulik, J.A. 1985. Effectiveness of computer-based
education in colleges. (Report No. IRO 11876) Chicago, IL: American
Educational Research Association annual meeting.
- Kulik, C.C. & Kulik, J.A. 1991. Effectiveness of computer-based
instruction: an updated analysis. Computers in Human Behaviour, 7(1-
- Kulik, J. 1994. Meta-analytic studies of findings on computer-based
instruction. In Baker, E.L. & O'Neil, H.F. (eds). Technology assessment in
education and training. Hillsdale, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum: 9-34.
- Kulik, J.A., Bangert, R.L. & Williams, G.W. 1983. Effects of computer-
based teaching on secondary school students. Journal of Education
- Kulik, J.A. & Kulik, C.C. 1987. Review of recent research literature on
computer-based instruction. Contemporary Educational Psychology,
- Kulik, J.A., Kulik, C.C. & Cohen, P.A. 1980. Effectiveness of computer-
based college teaching: a meta-analysis of findings. Review of
Educational Research, 50:525-544.
- Kumar, M. 2005. A critical discourse in multimedia design: a pedagogical
perspective to creating engaging online courseware.
jist/docs/Vol7_no2/FullPapers/CriticalDisc_MM.htm [1 August 2005].
- LaBonty, D. 1989. Computer-assisted homework in accounting: effects
on student achievement and attitude. Delta Phi Epilon Journal, 31:47-55.
- Lantz, K. 1987. The prototyping methodology.
http://www.manageknowledge.com/prototyp.html [1 August 2005].
- Laurillard, D. 1993. Rethinking university teaching: a framework for the
effective use of educational technology. London: Routledge.
- Laurillard, D. 1994a. Multimedia and the changing experience of the
learner. Programme on Learner Use of Media Paper No. 44. The Open
University, Milton Keynes.
- Laurillard, D. 1994b. The role of formative evaluation in the process of
multimedia. In Beattie, K., McNaught, C. & Wills, S. (eds). Interactive
multimedia in university education: designing for change in teaching and
learning, Amsterdam: Elsevier: 287-293.
- Lee, A.Y., Gillan, D.J. & Harrison, C.L. 1996a. Assessing the
effectiveness of a multimedia-based lab for upper division psychology
students. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments & Computers,
- Lee S. 1996. The World-Wide Web: its uses as a teaching tool.
http://info.ox.ac.uk/jtap/reports/teaching/web.html [30 August 2005].
- Lee, S.H. 1999. Usability testing for developing interactive multimedia
software: concepts, dimensions, and procedures. Educational
Technology & Society, 2(2):20-29.
- Lee, S.H. & Boling, E. 1996b. Motivational screen design guidelines for
effective computer-mediated instruction. Proceedings of the Annual
Meeting of the Association for Educational Communications and
Technology, Indianapolis, February 1996: 14-18.
- Lee, S.H. & Boling, E. 1999. Screen design guidelines for motivation in
interactive multimedia instruction: a survey and framework for designers.
Educational Technology, 39(3):19-26.
- Leung, H.K.N. 2003. Evaluating the effectiveness of e-Learning.
Computer Science Education, 13(2):123-136.
- Leven, F.J., Schulz, S., Alle, W. & Klar, R. 1995. Rechnergestützte Lehr-
und Lernsysteme in den Klinika: stand und zukünftige entwicklungen. In Buchholz, W. & Haux, R. (eds). Informationsverarbeitung in den
Universitätsklinika Baden-Württembergs, Universität Heidelberg,
- Lewis, M.J. 2003. Computer-assisted learning for teaching anatomy and
physiology in subjects allied to medicine. Medical Teacher, 25(2):204-206.
- Lim, K.H. & Benbasat, I. 2000. The effect of multimedia on perceived
equivocality and perceived usefulness of information systems. MIS
- Lindgaard, G. 1994. Usability testing and system evaluation. London:
Chapman & Hall.
- Lohr, L.L. 2000. Designing the instructional interface. Computers in
human behaviour, 16(1):161-182.
- Louw, C.J. 2003. Die impak van tutoriale op die wiskundeprestasie van
studente in eerstejaarswiskunde. Ongepubliseerde MA-verhandeling,
Universiteit van Pretoria, Pretoria.
- Lowder, J. & Hagan, D. 1999. Web-based student feedback to improve
learning. Proceedings of the 4th Annual SIGCSE/SIGCUE Conference on
Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, Krakow,
Poland, June 1999: 151-154.
- Lowe, C.I., Wright, J.L. & Bearn, D.R. 2001. Computer-aided learning
(CAL): an effective way to teach the index of orthodontic treatment need
(IOTN). Journal of Orthodontics, 28(4):307-311.
- L owgren, J. 1993. Human-computer interaction: what every system
developer should know. Studentlitteratur, Lund: 51-62.
- Lynch, P. & Horton, S. 1999. Web style guide: basic design principles for
creating web sites. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Maffei, L. 1995. International Conference: colours of life. In Hubel, D.,
Hillman, J. et al. (eds). La Stampa: 60-67.
- Malone, B., Malm, L., Nay, F., Oliver, B., Saunders, N. & Thompson, J.
1997. Observation of instruction via distance learning: the need for a new
evaluation paradigm. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Mid-
Western Educational Research Association, Chicago, Illinois.
- Marmolin, H. 1991. Multimedia from the perspectives of Psychology. In
Kjelldahl (ed.) Proceedings of the Eurographics workshop on multimedia,
Springer-Verlag, 1991: 39-52.
- Marold, K.A. 2002. The 21st century learning model: electronic tutelage
realized. Journal of Information Technology Education, 1(2):113-123.
- Marold, K.A., Larsen, G. & Moreno, A. 2000. Web-based learning: is it
working? Challenges of Information Technology management in the 21st
century. s.l.: Idea Group: 350-353.
- Matthew, K. 1996. A comparison of the influence of CD-ROM interactive
storybooks and traditional print storybooks on reading comprehension and
attitude. Proceedings of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, Boston,
June 1996: 790.
- Maul, G.P. & Spotts, D.S. 1993. A comparison of computer-based
training and classroom instruction. Industrial Engineering, 25(2):25-27.
- Maurer, H. 1997. Necessary ingredients of integrated network based
learning environments. Proceedings of the 1997 EDMEDIA Workshop.
- Mayer, R.E. & Sims, V.K. 1994. From whom is a picture worth a
thousand words? Extensions of a dual-coding theory of multimedia
learning. Journal of Educational Psychology, 86(3):389-401.
- Mayhew, D.J. 1992. Principles and guidelines in software user interface
design. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- McAlpin, V.F. 1998. On-line and f2f students: is there really any
difference? Proceedings of the 1998 N.A. WEB 4th International North
America World Wide Web Conference, University of New Brunswick, New
Brunswick, 3 – 6 October 1998.
- McConnell, S. & Schoenfeld-Tacher, R. 2001. Transferring your passion
for teaching to the online environment: a five step instructional
development model. Electronic Journal of Instructional Science and
Technology (E-Jist), 4(1). http://www.usq.edu.au/electpub/e-
jist/docs/old/vol4no1/2001docs/pdf/mcconnell.pdf [2 September 2005].
- McFarland, R.T. 1995. Ten design points for the human interface to
instructional multimedia. T.H.E. Journal, 22(7):67-69.
- McGee, J.G., Neill, J., Goldman, L., Casey, E. 1998. Using multimedia
virtual patients to enhance the clinical curriculum for medical students.
- McKerlie, D. & Preece, J. 1993. The hype and the media: issues
concerned with designing hypermedia. Journal of Microcomputer
- McKethan, R. & Everhart, B. 2001. The effects of multimedia instruction
and lecture-based instruction on learning and teaching cues of
manipulative skills on preservice education teachers. Physical Educator,
- Mehrabi, A., Glückstein, Ch., Benner, A., Hashemi, B., Herfarth, Ch. &
Kallinowski, F. 2000. A new way for surgical education: development
and evaluation of a computer-based training module. Computers in
Biology and Medicine, 30(2):97-109.
- Merchant, S., Kreie, J. & Cronan, T.P. 2001. Training and users:
assessing the effectiveness of multimedia CBT. Journal of Computer
Information Systems, 41(3):20-25.
- Merrill, M.D. 1997. Instructional Strategies That Teach. CBT Solutions.
- Merrill, M.D. & Twitchell, D.G. 1994. Instructional design theory.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Educational Technology Publications.
- Misselt, A.L. 1982. Assuring courseware quality through systematic
development and evaluation. Proceedings of the South African Congress
on Computers in Education, Stellenbosch, 1982:77-89.
- Morrell, P.D. 1992. The effects of computer assisted instruction on
student achievement in high school biology. School Science and
- Morss, D.A. 1999. A study of student perspectives on Web-based
learning: WebCT in the classroom. Internet Research: Electronic
Networking Applications and Policy, 9(5):393-408.
- Mudge, S. 1999. Delivering multimedia teaching modules via the Internet.
Innovations in Education and Training International, 36(1):11-16.
- Najjar, L.J. 1996. Multimedia information and learning. Journal of
Educational and Multimedia and Hypermedia, 5(2):129-150.
- Neethling, J. 2000. Study shows UCT open to virtualisation. Monday
Paper, Weekly paper of the University of Cape Town, 20(16).
- Nelson, J.T. 1997. A system for the evaluation of ESL web sites.
Unpublished MA thesis, University of Idaho.
- Neo, K. & Neo, M. 2002. Interactive multimedia education: using
Authorware as an instructional tool to enhance teaching and learning in
the Malaysian classroom. Interactive Educational Media (IEM), 5:80-94.
- Neufeldt, V. (ed.) 1995. Webster's new world dictionary. New York,
London, Toronto, Sydney, Tokyo & Singapore: Simon & Schuster: 19:694.
- Newman, W.M. & Lamming, M.G. 1995. Interactive system design. MA:
- Nielsen, J. (ed.) 1989. Coordinating user interfaces for consistency. San
Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Nielsen, J. 1990a. Evaluating hypertext usability. In Jonassen, D.H. & Mandl, H. (eds). Designing hypermedia for learning. Berlin: Springer-
Verlag, 1990: 147-168.
- Nielsen, J. 1990b. Hypertext usability. Hypertext and multimedia. s.l.:
Academic Press: 143-162.
- Nielsen, J. 1992. The Usability Engineering Lifecycle. IEEE Computer,
- Nielsen, J. 1993. Usability engineering. Boston: Academic Press.
- Nielsen, J. 1995. Guidelines for multimedia on the Web.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9512.html [2 July 2004].
- Nielsen, J. 2000. Designing web usability: the practice of simplicity.
Indianapolis: New Riders.
- Nielsen, J. 2003. Usability 101: introduction to usability.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030825.html [ 20 August 2004].
- Nielsen, J. 2005. Ten usability heuristics.
http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristics/heuristic_list.html [16 August
- Nielsen, J. & Tahir, M. 2001. Building Web sites with depth.
http://www.cwebtechniques.com/archives/2001/02/nielsen/ [20 August
- Nordhoff, H.I. 2002. The design and implementation of a computer-based
course using Merrill's model of instructional design. Unpublished MA
thesis, University of Pretoria, Pretoria.
- Norman, D.A. 1990. The design of everyday things. New York:
- Norman, D. & Draper, S. 1986. User-centered system design. Hillsdale,
N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Nunes, M.A., Dihl, L.L., Fraga, L.M., Woszezenki, C.R., Oliveira, L.,
Francisco, D.J., Machado, G.J., Nogueira, C.R. & Notargiacomo, M. G.
2002. Animated pedagogical agent in the intelligent virtual teaching
environment. Interactive Educational Multimedia, 4(53):61.
- O'Donoghue, J., Singh, G. & Green, C. 2004. A comparison of the
advantages and disadvantages of IT based education and the implications
upon students. Interactive Educational Multimedia, 1(9):63-76.
- O'Malley, J. 1999. Students perceptions of distance learning, online
learning and the traditional classroom. Online Journal of Distance
Learning administration, Winter 1999, 2(4).
http://www.westga.edu/~distance/omalley24.html [23 January 2005].
- Orlich, D.C., Harder, R.J., Callahan, R.C. & Gibson, H.W. 1998. Teaching
strategies: a guide to better instruction. New York: Houghton Mifflin.
- Overbaugh, R.C. 1994. Research based guidelines for computer-based
instruction development. Journal of Research on Computing in Education.
- Park, I. & Hannafin, M. 1993. Empirically-based guidelines for the design
of interactive multimedia. Educational Technology Research &
- Patel, K.A. & Russell, D. 2001. Achieving enhanced learning, greater re-
usability and wider acceptance for multimedia learning environments.
Campus-Wide Information Systems, 18(3):110-119.
- Petersen, M.G. 1996. Evaluating usability of multimedia interfaces,
Unpublished MA thesis, Queen Mary and Westfield College.
- Petitt, C.S. 1994. Simulating user experiences in computer-based
multimedia instruction. Unpublished MA thesis, Virginia Polytechnic
Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA.
- Pham, B. 1998. Quality evaluation of educational multimedia systems.
Australian Journal of Educational Technology, 14(2):107-121.
- Pichler, A. 2002. "TRIANGLE": a multimedia testing environment for
evaluation of motivation factors and new learning methods in computer
based training. Unpublished thesis, Graz University of Technology.
- Pieratti, D.D. 1995a. Usability engineering: Usability Analysis & Design.
http://www.stcsig.org/usability/resources/toolkit/overdue.doc [29 May
- Pieratti, D.D. 1995b. Usability evaluation plan. Proceedings of the 1995
UPA Conference, Hobart, July 1995.
- Poobrasert, R.B. 2002. Knowledge engineering in multimedia design for
special needs training: effectiveness? Proceedings of the 2002 Australian
Computers in Education Conference, July 2002.
- Preece, J. 2001. Online communities: usability, sociability, theory and
methods. In Earnshaw, R., Guedj, R., van Dam, A. & Vince, T. (eds)
Frontiers of human-centred computing, online communities and virtual
environments. Springer Verlag: Amsterdam: 263-277.
- Preece, J., Rogers, Y., Sharp, H., Benyon, D., Holland, S. & Carey, T. 1994. Human-Computer Interaction. Wokingham, England: Addison-
- Probert, J. & Munro, K. 1995. CAL, apartheid and economics education
at South African Universities. Computers in Higher Education Economics
- Prosser, M. & Trigwell, K. 1999. Understanding learning and teaching:
The experience in higher education. Milton Keynes, SRHE & Open
- Rainbow, S.W. & Sadler-Smith, E. 2003. Attitudes to computer-assisted
learning amongst business and management students. British Journal of
Educational Technology, 34(5):615-624.
- Ramsden, P. 1996. Learning to teach in Higher Education. London, UK:
- Ramsey, T.D. 1996. The effects of multimedia interface design on
original learning and retention. Unpublished MA thesis, Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA.
- Randel, J.M., Morris, B.A., Wetzel, C.D. & Whitehill, B.V. 1992. The
effectiveness of games for educational purposes: a review of recent
research. Simulation and Gaming, 23(3):261-276.
- Redmon, J. & Salopek, J.J. 2000. A year in the life of an e-Learning
project: you can always get what you want. Training & Development,
- Reeves, T.C. 1997. User interface rating form.
http://mime1.marc.gatech.edu/MM_Tools/UIRF.html [25 August 2005].
- Riddle, E.M. 1995. Communication through multimedia in an elementary
classroom. East Lansing, MI: National Center for Research on Teacher
- Rieber, L.P. 1990. Animation in computer-based instruction. Educational
Technology Research and Development, 38(1):77-86.
- Rieber, L.P. 1991. Computer-based microworlds: a bridge between constructivism and direct instruction. Proceedings of the 1991 Annual
Convention of the Association for Educational Communications and
Technology, 1991: 692-707.
- Rieber, L.P. 1994. Computers, graphics & learning. Madison, Wisconsin:
Brown & Benchmark.
- Rieber, L.P. 1996. Seriously considering play: designing interactive
learning environment based on the blending of microworlds, simulations,
and games. Educational Technology Research and Development,
- Rieber, L.P., Boyce, M.J. & Assad, C. 1990. The effects of computer animation on adult learning and retrieval tasks. Journal of Computer-
Based Instruction, 17(2):46-52.
- Rieber, L.P. & Hannafin, M.J. 1988. Effects of textual and animated
orienting activities and practice on learning from computer-based
instruction. Computer in School, 5(1-2):77-89.
- Riggs, B. Poli, C. & Woolf, B. 1998. Multimedia application for teaching
design for manufacturing. Journal of Engineering in Education, 87(1):63-
- Roblyer, M.D. & Edwards, J. 2000. Integrating educational technology
into teaching. 2nd ed. New Jersey: Merrill/Prentice-Hall.
- Robson, J. 2000. Evaluating on-line teaching. Open Learning, 15(2):151-
- Roesch, A., Gruber, H., Hawelka, B., Hamm, H., Arnold, N., Popal, H.,
Segerer, J., Landthaler, M. & Stolz, W. 2003. Computer assisted learning
in medicine: a long-term evaluation of the ‘Practical Training Programme
Dermatology 2000'. Medical Information, 28(3):147-159.
- Romiszowski, R.J. 1997. Web-based distance learning and teaching:
Revolutionary invention or reaction to necessity? In Khan, B.H. (ed.).
Web-based instruction. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Educational Technology:
- Rosenkrans, G. 2001. Design considerations for an effective online
environment. Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, 65(1):43-61.
- Rowe, G.W. & Gregor, P. 1999. A computer based learning system for
teaching computing: implementation and evaluation. Computers &
- Rubin, J. 1994. Handbook of usability testing: how to plan, design, and
conduct effective test. New York, NY: Wiley.
- Ruef, S. & Layne, T. 1990. A study of the effects of computer-assisted
instruction in the social studies. Social Studies, 81(2):73-76.
- Russell, T.L. 1999. The ‘no significant difference' phenomenon: as
reported in 355 research reports, summaries and papers. North Carolina
State University, Raleigh, NC.
- Russell, P., Durling, D. & Griffiths, B. 1999. The use of multimedia
guidelines versus designers' attitudes. Digital Creativity, 10(4):228-242.
- Satzinger, J.W., Jackson, R.B. & Burd, S.D. 2004. Systems Analysis and
Design in a Changing World. USA: Thomson Course Technology.
- Savage, T. & Vogel, K. 1996. Multimedia: a revolution in higher
education? College Teaching, 44(4):127-131.
- Schacter, J. & Fagnano, C. 1999. Does computer technology improve
student learning and achievement? How, when, and under what
condition? Educational Computing Research, 20(4):329-343.
- Scheider, R.A. 2003. Improving student achievement by infusing a Web-
based curriculum into global history. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 36(1):77-94.
- Scheines, R. Leinhardt, G., Smith, J. & Cho, K. s.a. Teaching and
learning with online courses. Journal of Computing in Higher Education.
- Schwier, R.A. & Misanchuk, E.R. 1993. Interactive multimedia instruction.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Education Technology Publications.
- Selim, H.M. 2003. An empirical investigation of student acceptance of
course websites. Computers and Education, 40(4):343-360.
- Shaba, G. 2000. Virtual universities in the third millennium: an
assessment of the implications of teleworking on university buildings and
space planning. Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice,
- Shakarian, D.C. 1995. Beyond lecture: active learning strategies that
work. The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance,
- Sherry, L. 1996. Issues in distance learning.
http://www.cudenver.edu/public/education/edschool/issues.html [7 July
- Sherson, G. W. 1996. Teaching using the World Wide Web.
- Sherson, G.W. 1999. Developing a web learning environment. National
Business Administration Forum.
[31 August 2005].
- Sherson, G.W. 2000. Developing a digital campus: helping learners
embrace the knowledge age. Proceedings of the National Compaq
Education Conference, April 2000.
- Sherson, G.W. 2002. Principles of effective Web design. Learning for
- Sherson, G.W. 2003. Developing Flash based learning objects. e-fest
2003, August 2003.
- Shneiderman, B. 1992. Designing the user interface. New York:
- Shneiderman, B. 1997. Designing information-abundant websites.
International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 47(1):5-29.
- Shneiderman, B. 1999. Designing the user interface: strategies for
effective human-computer interaction. 3rd ed. MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Sime, M.E. & Coombs, M.J. 1993. Designing for human-computer
communication. New York: Academic Press.
- Simpson, D.A. 2001. Evaluation of an interactive multimedia educational
tool used to teach veterinary neurobiology. Unpublished MA thesis,
Medical Informatics and Outcomes Research and the Oregon Health
- Simpson, M. 1994. Neurophysiological consideration related to
interactive multimedia. Educational Technology Research &
- Skinsley, M. & Brodie, D. 1990. A study of the effectiveness of computer
assisted learning in physical education. Research Supplement, 7:14-16.
- Smit, I. s.a. Application of a blended e-learning approach in a residential
- Smit, I. & Du Plessis, M. s.a. e-Learning, friend or foe? Bulletin, 3.
- Smith, D. & McNeils, M. 1993. Distance education: graduate student
attitudes and academic performance. Paper presented at the Annual
Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Atlanta.
- Smith, S.M. & Woody, P.C. 2000. Interactive effect of multimedia
instruction and learning styles. Teaching of Psychology, 27(3):220-223.
- Sneddon, J., Settle, C. & Triggs, G. 2001. The effects of multimedia
delivery and continual assessment on student academic performance on a
level 1 undergraduate plant science module. Journal of Biological
- Sneiderman, C.A., Hood, A.F. & Patterson, J.W. 1994. Evaluation of an
interactive computer video tutorial on malignant melanoma. Journal of
- Snyder, T. 1994. Blinded by science. The Executive Educator, 16(3):36-
- Soboleva, O. & Tronenko, N. 2002. A Russian multimedia learning
package for classroom use and self-study. Computer-Assisted Language
- Spellman, G. 2000. Evaluation of CAL in higher education Geography.
Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 16(1):72-82.
- Stansfield, M., McLellan, E. & Connolly, T. 2004. Enhancing student
performance in online learning and traditional face-to-face class delivery.
Journal of Information Technology Education, 3:173-188.
- Stasko, J, Badre, A. & Lewis, C. 1993. Do algorithm animations assist
learning? An empirical study and analysis. Proceedings of the 1993 ACM
INTERCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems,
Understanding Programming, 1993: 61-66.
- Steele, D.J., Palenskry, J.E., Lynch, T.G., Lacy, N.L. & Duffy, S.W. 2002.
Learning preferences, computer attitudes, and student evaluation of
computerized instruction. Medical Education, 36(3):225-232.
- Stemler, L.K. 1997. Educational characteristics of multimedia: a literature
review. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 6(3-4):339-
- Stephens, C.D. & Dowell, T.R. 1983. The acceptability of computer-aided
instruction to the undergraduate. British Dental Journal, 154:375.
- Steuer, J. 1992. Defining virtual reality: dimensions determining
telepresence. Journal of communication, 42(4):73-93.
- Stoner, G. & Harvey, J. 1999. Integrating learning technology in a
foundation level management accounting course and e(in)volving
evaluation. Proceedings of the 1999 CTI-AFM Annual Conference,
Brighton, April 1999.
- Stubbs, S.T. & Burnham, B.R. 1990. An instrument for evaluating the
potential effectiveness of electronic distance education systems. The
American Journal of Distance Education, 4(3):25-37.
- Sturman, D. 1998. The state of computer animation. Computer Graphics,
- Sutton, J. 2004. A new dimension in publishing: EEI makes MCAT
http://www.eeicommunications.com/newmedia/cbt/betz.html [19 April
- Tao, Y-H., Guo, S-M. & Lu, Y-H. 2005. The design and the formative
evaluation of a web-based course for simulation analysis experiences.
Computers & Education (article due for publication).
- Tapscott, D. 1998. Growing up digital: the rise of the Net generation.
New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Taylor, S.A. & Todd, P.A. 1995. Understanding information technology
usage: a test of competing models. Information System Research,
- Technology and Student Success: a research study on faculty
perceptions of technology and student success. 2002.
- Thurston, L.P. & Cauble, E. 1999. Using interactive multimedia to build
child welfare competencies in social workers. Journal of Research on
Computing in Education, 32(2):298-306.
- Tognazzini, B. 2003. First principles of interaction design.
http://www.asktog.com/basics/firstPrinciples.html [20 August 2004].
- Torgerson, C.N. 2000. CBI interface design: a review of multi-disciplinary
research and evaluation of a current CBI product. Unpublished MA thesis,
University of Alberta, Edmonton.
- Tripp, S. & Bichelmeyer, B. 1990. Rapid prototyping: an alternative
instructional design strategy. Educational Technology Research and
- Tucker, S. 2001. Distance education: better, worse, or as good at
traditional education? Online Journal of Distance Learning administration,
http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/winter44/tucker44.html [26 July
- Tway, L. 1995. Multimedia in Action. MA: AP Professional.
- Underwood, G. & Underwood, J. 1990. Computers and Learning.
- Utting, K. & Yankelovitch, N. 1989. Context and orientation in hypermedia
networks. ACM Transmission on Information Systems, 7(1):59-84.
- Van Dusen, G.C. 1998. The Virtual Campus: technology and reform in
higher education. Washington University, Washington DC, USA.
- Van Greunen, D. 2002. An introduction to usability engineering.
Proceedings of the 2002 CSSA/CHI-SA Seminar, February 2002.
- Van Greunen, D. & Wesson, J. s.a. Formal usability testing: information
- Vaughan, M.W. & Hinshaw, M.J. 1995. Developing a user interface for
the converged information future. Proceedings of the Broadcast
Education Association 40th Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, 7-11 April
- Vaughan, T. 1998. Multimedia: making it work. 4th ed. New York:
- Velan, G.M. 2002. Development and evaluation of a computer-assisted
learning module on glomerulonephritis for medical students. Medical
- Venter, I.M., Blignaut, R.J. & Stoltz, D. 2001. Research methodologies
explored for a paradigm shift in university teaching. South African Journal
of Higher Education, 15(2):162-169.
- Vivekananda-Schmidt, P., Hassell, A. & McLean, M. 2004. The
evaluation of multimedia learning packages in the education of health
professionals: experience of a musculoskeletal examination package.
Nurse Researcher, 11(3):43-55.
- Vogel, M. & Wood, D.F. 2002. Love it or hate it? Medical students'
attitudes to computer-assisted learning. Medical Education, 36(3):214-
- Vorvoreanu, M. 2002. Digital Rhetoric: a framework for analyzing Web-
based communication. Proceedings of the 2002 National Communication
Association Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2002.
- Vroom, V.H. 1964. Work and Motivation. Chichester: Wiley.
- Wade, V.P. & Power, C. 1998. Evaluating the design and delivery of
WWW based educational environments and courseware. Proceedings of
the 6th Annual Conference on the Teaching of Computing, Ireland, August
- Wagner, E.D. 1997. In support of a functional definition of interaction.
New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 71:19-26.
- Walker, B.L. & Harrington, S.S. 2004. Can nursing facility staff with
minimal education be successfully trained with computer-based training?
Nurse Education Today, 24(4):301-309.
- Wang, X. & Munro, M.J. 2004. Computer-based training for learning
English vowel contrasts. System, 32(4):539-552.
- Waschull, S.B. 2001. The online delivery of Psychology courses:
attrition, performance and evaluation. Teaching of Psychology, 28(2):143-
- WebCT. 2003. Learning without limits. http://www.webct.com [25 August
- Wegner, S.B., Hollaway, K.C. & Garton, E.M. 1999. The effect of internet
based instruction on student learning. Journal of Asynchronous Learning
Networks (JALN), 3(2):98-106.
- Weiss, R.E., Knowlton, D.S. & Morrison, G.R. 2002. Principles for using
animation in computer-based instruction: theoretical heuristics for
effective design. Computers in Human Behavior, 18(4):465-477.
- Whalen, E. 1998. A copyeditor's adventures in multimedia land.
http://www.eeicommunications.com/eye/multimed.html [19 April 2004].
- Whitelock, D. 2000. Frameworks for the evaluation of multimedia learning
technologies: lessons learned and future directions? The Brazilian
Journal of Science Education ‘Pesquisa em Educação em Ciências'.
Cecimig, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
- Whittington, D. 2000. Evaluating three years' use of virtual university.
Quality Assurance in Education, 8(1):48-53.
y.htm [2 July 2003].
- Wiebe, J.H. & Martin, N.J. 1994. The impact of a computer-based
adventure game on achievement and attitudes in geography. Journal of
Computing in Childhood Education, 5(1):61-71.
- Wilson, L.D. 1993. Get moving: animation brings classroom visuals into
the ‘90s. The Vocational Education Journal, 68(2):30-31.
- Wolfgram, D.E. 1994. Creating multimedia presentations. Indiana: Que
- Woolf, B. & Hall, W. 1995. Multimedia pedagogues: interactive systems
for teaching and learning. IEEE Computer, 37:74-80.
- XEROX Corporation. 1996. How to develop usability goals. Usability
Analysis & Design.
http://www/stcsig.org/usability/resources/toolkit/use_gls.doc [30 August
- Yeatman, H. & Stace, R. 1997. Travelling in the slow lane of the
information highway. Proceedings of the 1997 ASCILITE Conference,
- Zhang, P. 2000. The effects of animation on information seeking
performance on the world wide web: Securing attention or interfering with
primary tasks? Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS),