Visibility of E-commerce websites to search engines: A comparison between text-based and graphic-based hyperlinks.
Ngindana, M. 2006. Visibility of E-commerce websites to search engines: A comparison between text-based and graphic-based hyperlinks. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
Research has shown that most website developers first build a website and only later focus on the 'searchability' and 'visibility' of the website. Companies spend large amounts of money on the development of a website which sadly cannot be indexed by search engines, is rejected by directory editors and which is furthermore invisible to crawlers. The primary objective of this dissertation is to compare and report on the impact of text-based versus graphic-based hyperlinks on website visibility.
The method employed in the research was to develop two e-Commerce based websites with the same functionality, contents and keywords, however utilising different navigation schemes. The one website had all hyperlinks coded in text-phrases, while the other embedded the hyperlinks in graphics. Both websites were submitted to the same search engines at the same time. A period of eight months was allowed to ensure that the websites drew sufficient 'hits' to enable a comparative analysis to be conducted. Two industry standard website ranking programs were used to monitor how the two websites feature in the search engine rankings.
Graphs as well as text-based reports produced by the ranking programs and the t-test were used to compare and analyse the results.
Evidence based on the reviewed literature indicated that there are conflicting reports on the impact of text as opposed to graphic hyperlinks on website visibility. However, there is unsupported evidence that text hyperlinks achieved higher rankings than graphics-based hyperlinks. Although the 'human website browsers' find a certain amount of graphical aids conducive to easier navigation, 'search engine crawlers' find many of these same graphic aids impossible to index. The study supported that the graphic-based website ranked higher than the text-based website, which calls for a balance to be found between these two extremes. This balance would satisfy both 'human website browsers' and 'search engine crawlers'. It is posited by this author that this dissertation provides website designers with the abilities to achieve such a balance.
- Adam, S. & Dean, K. 1999. WebQUAL: An E-commerce audit. Proceedings of the fifth Australian World Wide Web conference, Australia, Southern Cross University, 11 - 16 June 1999:
http: //ausweb.scu.edu.au/aw99/papers/adam/. [22 October 2004].
- Agillo, I. 2000. A new generation of tools for search, recovery and quality evaluation of World Wide Web medical resources. Journal of Management in Medicine, 14(3): 13-28.
- Alexander, J. 2002a. How to Choose Keywords Before They Skyrocket in Popularity: Search Engines Workshop.
http: //www.searchenginesworkshops.com/articles/response.html. [27 June 2003].
- Alexander, J. 2002b. Ten Things You can do to Increase Visitor Response at your Website.
http: //www.searchenginesworkshops.com/articles . [27 June 2003].
- Amazon. 2004. Amazon. http://www.amazon.com. [28 November 2004].
- Anon. 2000. BT technologist looks into the future of communications in new science Website. Work Study, 49(3): 22-29.
- Baard, V. & van den Berg, A. 2004. Interactive information consulting system for South African small business - Part 1. South African Journal of Information Management, 6(2): 1-32.
- Babbie, E. & Mouton, J. 1998. The practice of social research. 6th ed. Cape Town: Oxford University.
- Barnes, J. & Vidgen, T. 2002. An interactive approach to the assessment of e-commerce quality. Journal of Electronic Communication Research, 3(3): 114-127.
- Beatty, S. 2003. Fashion Tip: Get Online. Wall Street Journal - Eastern Edition, 242(87): 33-45.
- Boggs, C. 2000. Creating Dynamic E-commerce Website: Design factors. http: //www.webdevelopersjournal.com/articles/Professional.html. [21 July 2003].
- Boyes, A. & Irani Z. 2004. An analysis of the barriers and problems to web infrastructure development experienced by small businesses. International Journal of Information Technology and Management, 3(4): 189-207.
- Browne, G. & Jeremy, J. 2001. Website Indexing: Enhancing Access to information within Websites. The Electronic Library, 20(3): 66-77.
- Bruemmer, P. 2002. Copywriting: Key to Search-Engines Visibility and Conversions. Search Engines Guide. http: //www.101searchengines.biz/.
[06 June 2003].
- Byrne, E. 2004. Development through communicative action and information system design: a case study from South Africa. South African Computer Journal, 32: 25-33.
- Chang, H. & Zhao, X. 2004. Effects of perceived interactivity on website preference and memory: Role of personal motivation. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 10(1).
http: //jcmc.Indiana.edu/vol10/issue1/chung.html. [28 April 2005].
- Clarke, P. 2000. Internet as a medium for qualitative research. Paper read on conference on Web 2000 conference. Johannesburg, Rand Afrikaans University.
- Collin, S. 2002. Assessing and assuring the Quality of Website. Online Information Review, 10(3): 11-20.
- Craven, T. 2001. Description of meta-tags in locally linked webpages. Aslib Proceeding, 53(6): 203-216.
- Crowell, G. 2004. Search Engine Watch: Retaining traffic after website redesign.
http: // Searchenginewatch.com/searchday/print.php/34711_342291. [22 October 2004].
- Davidson, B.H. 2001. Database driven, dynamic content delivery: providing and managing access to online resources using Microsoft Access and Active Server Pages. OCLC Systems & Services, 17(1): 34- 41.
- Dykehouse, S. & Sigler, T. 2000. Use of the World Wide Web, hyperlinks and managing the news by criminal justice agencies. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies and Management, 23(3) 267: 269.
- Eastman, C. & Jansen, B. 2003. Coverage, Relevance and Ranking: The impact of query operators on web search engine results. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 21(4): 383-99.
- Elderbrock, D., Ezor, J., Dalton, L. and Weissberg, J. 1997. Producing Web hits. IDG Books Worldwide: USA.
- Fagan, C. 2001. Transaction to a unified system using Perl to drive library databases and enhance website functionality. The Electronic Library, 19(3): 168-179.
- Fontanella, J. 2000. The Web Based Supply Chain. Management Review, 3(4): 17-20.
- Foot, A., Schneider, M., Dougherty, M. Xenos, M. & Carsen, E. 2003 Analyzing linking practices: Candidate website in the 2002 US electoral, Web sphere. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 8(4): 1-27. http: //jcmc.Indiana.edu/vol8/issue4/foot.html. [22 April 2005].
- Furnis, M. 2001. The mission of Website: Building Search engines friendly Website. http: //www.objs.com/survey/lang.htm. [27 June2003].
- Gardner, M. & Pinfield, S. 2001. Database-backed library website: a case study of the use of PHP and MySQL at the University of Nottingham. Program: electronic library & information systems, 35(1): 88-98.
- Graham, S. & Inan, V. 1995. Developing and maintaining e-commerce sites. http: //www.objs.com/survey/lang.htm. [27 June2003].
- Greenough, R., Fakun, D. & Kay, J. 2001. Development of a digital manual for a manufacturing system - a case study. Integrated Manufacturing Systems; 12(6): 34-45.
- Hof, R. & Sager, I. 2003. More Ways To Price-Shop Online. Business Week, Issue 3851: 14.
- Holder, B. 2003. Forintek's value added pathfinder: A case study The Electronic Library, 21(1): 133, 143.
- Hout, E. 1999. Step by step guideline for designing and documenting the navigation structure of multimedia hypertext system. Information Management & Computer Security, 7(2): 88-98. http:/docserver.emeraldinsight.com/deliver/cw/mcb/09685227/v7n2/s4/p88 .htm [23 August 2004].
- Inan, H. 2002. Measuring the Success of Your Website: A Customer- centric Approach to Website Management. Online information Review, 26(6): 33-37.
- Internet Visibility ServiceTM ('Real World Technology' ). 27 June 2005. Internet Visibility ServiceTM'. E-mail to M. Ngindana (email@example.com).
- Kaplan, M. & Carl, V. 1997. Software, Internet, network solutions diversity to serve users. Control Engineering, 46(5): 14-18.
- Kerr, M. 2001. Tips and Tricks for Website Managers. The Electronic Library, 19(5): 15: 25.
- Kleindl, B. A. 2001. Strategic Electronic Marketing: Managing E- Business. Cincinnati. OH: South-Western College Publishing.
- Larson, R. & Farber, B. 2003. Elementary statistics: Picturing the world. New Jersey, Prentice Hall.
- Li, W., Hsiung, W., Po, O., Candan, K. & Agrawal, D. 2002. Evaluation of architectural designs and implementation for database-driven websites. Data and Knowledge Engineering, 43(2): 151-60.
- Li, X. 2003. A review of the development and application of the web impact factor. Online Information Review, 17(6).
http: //docserver.emeraldinsight.com/deliver/cw/mcb/14684527/v27n6/s3/ p407.htm. [23 September 2004].
- Lide, R. & David, M. 2001. Provant launches new e-commerce Website, grows operating income 91.6% in 1Q. Lifelong Learning Market Report, 4(11): 26-33.
- Lu, M. 1998. A framework for effective commercial Web application. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Application and Policy, 8(2): 166-173.
- McGuigan, G. 2003. Invisible business information: the selection of invisible website in constructing subject pages for business. Collecting Building, 22(2): 68-74.
- Mertz, D. 2001. Charming Python: Developing a full-Text indexer in Python: Paving the way to better searching. Online Information Review, 11(5): 21-25.
- Mitra, A. 1999. Characteristics of the WWW Text: Tracing discursive strategies. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 15(1).
http: //jcmc.Indiana.edu/vol15/issue1/mitra.html. [22 April 2005].
- Mouton, J. 2001. How to succeed in your Master's & Doctoral Studies: A South African guide and resource book. Pretoria. Van Schaik.
- Munafo, R. 2002. Programming Languages: The Internet's current Opinion at MROB. http: //home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/lang_srom.html [27 June 2003].
- Murata, T. 2003. Visualizing the Structure of Web Communities Based on Data Acquired From a Search Engine. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, 50(5): 38-50.
- Nobles, R & Alexander, J. 2002. Internet Search Engines - Articles about Marketing and More. Marketing on Internet Search Engines. http://www.searchengineworkshops.com/articles.html. [27 June 2003].
- Ollins, D. 2002. Professional Web Design - some good ideas for web design. http: //www.webdevelopersjournal.com/articles/Professional.html [21 July 2003].
- Oppenheim, C., Morris, A. & Mcknight, C. 2000. Progress in documentation: the evaluation of WWW search engines. Journal of Documentation, 56(2): 190-211.
- Paulussen, S. 2004. Online news production in Flanders: How Flemish online journalists perceive and explore the Internet's potentials. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 9(4).
http: //jcmc.Indiana.edu/vol19/issue4/paulussen.html. [22 April 2005].
- Pfattenberger, S. 2001. How to search on search engines, A case study. http: //www.objs.com/survey/lang.htm. [27 June 2003].
- Position Research. 2002. Search Engines Marketing Services including Link Building for Link Popularity Improvement and Better ranking.
[05 August 2003].
- Rea-Smith, J.B., Alexander, E. & Ellinger, E. 2002. Insights from the introduction of an online logistics service system. International Marketing Review, 7(1): 1-21.
- Rose, G., Khoo, H. & Straub, W . 1999. Current T echnological Impediments to Business-to-Consumer Electronic Commerce. Communication of the Association for Information Systems, 1(16): 1-58.
- Smith, A. 2001. Website Indexing: Enhancing access to information within websites. The Electronic Library, 20(3): 247-252. http:/docserver.emeraldinsight.com/deliver/cw/mcb/02640473/v20n3/5100 5/p247.htm
[23 August 2004].
- Smith, C. 2002. Infrastructure needs for electronic commerce and the Internet, intranet and extranets. South African Journal of Information Management, 4(4): 1-17.
- South Africa: Department of Trade and Industry. 2001. State of small business development in South Africa: Annual review 2001. Pretoria: Ntsika Enterprise Promotion Agency.
- Struwig, F. W. & Stead, G. B. 2001. Planning, designing, and reporting research. Cape Town. Pearson Education.
- Sullivan, D. 2001. How Search Engines Work: How To Really Profit From SEO. http: //www.searchenginesbook.com/presskit.html
[27 June 2003].
- Tansley, D. 2002. Create Dynamic webpages using PHP and MySQL. New York. Addison-Wesley.
- Thelwall, M. 2000a. Effective websites for small and medium-sized enterprises. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 7(2): 149-159.
- Thelwall, M. 2000b. Commercial Websites: Lost in cyberspace. Electronic Networking Applications and Policy, 10(2): 150-159.
- Thelwall, M., Binns, R. Harries, G. Page-Kennedy, T. Price, L. & Wilkinson, D. 2001. Custom interfaces for advanced queries in search engines. Aslib proceedings: New information perspectives, 53(10): 413- 422.
- Thelwall, M. 2002. Evidence for the existence of geographic trends in university Website interlinking. Journal of Documentation, 58(5): 55-65.
- Thilmany, J. 2003. Web Search Measure Website Appeal In Seconds. Mechanical Engineering, 125(10): 10-14.
- Thurow, S. 2002. Search Engine Visibility press kit.
http: //www.searchenginesbook.com/presskit.html. [27 June 2003].
- Thurow, S. 2003a. Search Engine Visibility. Indianapolis. New Riders.
- Thurow, S. 2003b. What can I do to optimize my website for search engines. http: //www.devwebpro.com/articles/0303b.html. [27 June 2003].
- Turner, T. & Brackbill, L. 1998. Rising to the top: Evaluating the use of the html meta-tag to improve retrieval of world wide web documents through Internet search engines. Library Research and Technical services, 42(4): 258 - 271.
- Van Greunen, D. & Wesson, J. 2004. Exploring issues for information Architecture of Web-based learning in South Africa. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT), Port Elizabeth, South Africa, University of Port Elizabeth, 73-78.
- Van Steenderen, M. 2001. Website management: making a website more visible. South African Journal of Information Management, 2(4): 1-12. Watson, R., Pierre B., Leyland F. & George M. 2000. Electronic Commerce: The Strategic Perspective. Fort Worth. TX: The Dryden Press. 1-35.
- Weideman, M. 2001. Internet searching as a study aid for information technology and information systems learners at tertiary level. [Unpublished Ph.D thesis]. Cape Town, University of Cape Town.
- Weideman, M. 2005. FOIOTI: An implementation of the conceptualist approach to Internet information retrieval. South African Journal of Libraries and Information Science, 7(1): 2-25.
- Weideman, M. & Ngindana, M. 2004. Website navigation architecture and their effect on website visibility: A literature survey. Fulfilling the promise of ICT, Proceedings of SAICSIT 2004, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 4 - 6 October 2004: 292-296. Stellenbosch University.
- Welman, J.C. & Kruger, S.J. 1999. Research Methodology for the 85
Business and Administrative Science. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- Whalen, J. 2003. Search Engines Marketing vs Search Engines Optimization. http: //www.searchengineguide.com/
[18 June 2003].
- Winn, W. & Beck, K. 2002. The persuasive Power of Design Element on an E-Commerce Websites. Technical Communication, 49(1): 17-19.
- Xue, L., Harker, M. & Heubs, J. 2000. A review of the development and application of the Web impact factor. Online Information Review; 27(6): 25-38.
- Yuen, L.T., Lee, Y.W., Lau, S.M. & Yen, J. 2001. From unstructured HTML to structured XML: How XML supports financial knowledge management on the Internet. Library Hi Tech, 19(3): 242-256.