Paid search engine vs organic results: young consumer preferences.
Sabwa, J.M. & Weideman, M.
Proceedings of the 12th World Wide Web conference (ZAW3-10). 21-23 September. Durban, South Africa.
Sabwa, J.M. & Weideman, M. 2010. Paid search engine vs organic results: young consumer preferences. Proceedings of the 12th World Wide Web conference (ZAW3-10). 21-23 September. Durban, South Africa. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
The primary objective of this research project was to investigate the student perception and acceptance of natural versus paid search engine results. It was established that only 47.1% of search engine users with a university or postgraduate qualification select search engine advertising results (PPC) as more relevant. This research aimed to establish the trend amongst younger consumers, specifically university students. The research methodology includes a survey of relevant literature and a questionnaire carried out by using a sample of students at a few local universities. The questionnaire was designed and a pilot study was done in order to test its accuracy. The final version of the questionnaire was completed during practical sessions in computer laboratories. The results indicated, amongst other things, that clear differences exist in preference, based on attributes such as gender, age, race and Internet skills. Conclusions drawn revealed that online advertisers should consider the results mentioned above, as they reflect the views of a percentage of young consumers in the Cape Town area. Further research could enable one to generalize the findings. Young consumers, especially students, form a very important social and economical category of the population and this should be considered while running online businesses. High rankings on Google and other search engines can make the difference between a successful online business and a failure.
- Bargh, J. A and McKenna, K.Y.A. 2004. The Internet and Social Life. arjournals.annualreviews.org, 55 (573-590).
- Bateman, M. 2007. Business Marketing Guide: The four major components of a marketing mix. Available: WWW: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article (accessed 23 June 2010).
- Bowen, F.E. 2002. Does Size Matter?: Organizational Slack and Visibility as Alternative Explanations for Environmental Responsiveness. International Association for Business and Society. Available: WWW: http://bas.sagepub.com/content (accessed 12 May 2010).
- Buresh, S. 2006. Organic SEO or Pay-Per-Click Advertising - Which Should You Choose? The small business guide to search marketing. Available: WWW: http://www.searchengineguide.com/scott-buresh/organic-seo-or.php (accessed 25 June 2010).
- Dewenter, K., Novaes, W. and Pettway, R.H. 2001. Visibility versus complexity in business Groups: Evidence from Japanese Keiretsu. Journal of Business, 74(1):79-100.
- Ellis, D. 1989. A behavioural model for information retrieval system design. Journal of Information Science, 15(4-5):237-247.
- Ghose, A. and Yang, S. 2008. An Empirical Analysis of Sponsored Search Performance in Search Engine Advertising. Proceedings of the international conference on Web search and web data mining. February 11–12, 2008. Palo Alto, California, USA.
- Herbig, P. and Hale, B. 1997. Internet: the marketing challenge of the twentieth century. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy, 7(2). University Press.
- Jansen, B.J. 2006. Adversarial Information Retrieval Aspects of Sponsored Search.
- Jerkovic, J. I. 2010. SEO Warrior. O’Reilly Media, Inc. USA. Available: WWW: http://books.google.co.za/books?id=KzzXzqLzXi8C (accessed 10 June 2010).
- Lee, J. 2005. Model-Driven Business Transformation and the Semantic Web. Communications of the ACM, 48 (1275). The semantic e-business vision. December 2005, New York, USA.
- Neethling, R. 2007. Search engine optimization or paid placement systems-user preference. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Preiss, K., Goldman, S.L., Nagel, R. N. 1996. Cooperate to compete: building agile business relationships. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- Schossow, C. 2008. SEO vs PPC – Which provides you the better value? Available: WWW:
http://www.newmediacampaigns.com/page/seo-vs-ppc (accessed 15 July 2010). Spink, A., Koricich, A.,
- Jansen, B. J., Cole, C. 2004. Sexual Information seeking on web
search engines. Cyberpsychology and behavior, 7(1):65-71.
- Thurow, S. 2008. Search Engine Visibility, second edition, New York: New Riders
- Wellman, B. and Haythornthwaite, C.A. 2002. The Internet in everyday life. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing.
- Weideman, M. 2009.Website Visibility: the theory and practice of improving rankings. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.