Measuring the ubiquity characteristics of mobile access channels - Africa and the United Kingdom.
Schwenke, F., Weideman, M.
Proceedings of the 11th World Wide Web conference (ZAW3-09). 2-4 September. Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
Schwenke, F., Weideman, M. & Janse van Rensburg, J. 2009. Measuring the ubiquity characteristics of mobile access channels - Africa and the United Kingdom. Proceedings of the 11th World Wide Web conference (ZAW3-09). 2-4 September. Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
A question that is often asked among different role players in the mobile applications industry is: "which access channels should be supported by a mobile application?" A literature survey was conducted to identify available access channels and a number of channels were found. Furthermore it revealed a number of measurable characteristics which could determine the applicability of a specific channel for a specific mobile application. This paper focuses on one of the characteristics: ubiquity. A number of access channels were selected based on availability. The literature survey inidicated a number of ubiquity dimensions that could be measured individually. Market research was conducted and values assigned to each of the dimensions. The measurements were based on the percentage of subscribers that could be reached with each of the technologies. Furthermore the measurements were done in three different countries to provide a global picture. Results were graphed and compared. In conclusion it was determined that SMS and IVR are the most ubiquitous access channel, which makes it a safe choice for applications where the number of subscribers that is reached influences the success of the application.
- Ayo, C.K., Uyinomen, O.E., Fatudimu, I.T. & Adebiyi, A.A. 2007. M-commerce implementation in Nigeria: Trends and Issues. Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 12(2).
- Bezuidenhoudt, J. & Porteous, D. 2008. Managing the risk of Mobile Banking technologies. Bankable Frontier Associates, FinMark Trust.
- Chovanova, A. 2006. Forms of electronic banking. National Bank of Slovakia Banking Journal (BIATEC), XIV(6/2006):22-25.
Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications, Port Elizabeth, 2-4 September 2009 (http://www.zaw3.co.za)
22 http://www.clickatell.com/pricing/message_cost.php (accessed 6 September 2008).
- Clickatell. 2008. Message Pricing. Clickatell. Available WWW:
- Coetzee, K. 2008. FW: Info. E-mail to F. Schwenke (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(received on 11 April 2008).
- Comsys. 2008. Interactive Voice Response Services. Comsys UK. Available WWW:
http://www.comsys.uk.com/ivr.htm (accessed 13 September 2008).
- Corkrey, R. & Parkinson, L. 2002. Interactive voice response: Review of studies 1989
- 2000. Behaviour Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 34(3):342-353.
- Derballa, V. & Pousttchi, K. 2004. Extending knowledge management to mobile workplaces. Proceedings of the 6th International conference on Electronic commerce, Delft, Netherlands, 25-27 October 2004: 583-590.
- Flashmedia. 2007. Our partners. Flashmedia. Available WWW: http://www.flashmedia.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=182&Item id=282 (accessed 6 September 2008).
- Hellmund, M. 2003. Smart personalization for wireless applications. Thesis in partial fullfillment of degree, Diplom-Informatiker (FH). Media and Computer Science, Department of digital media, University of applied Sciences, Furtwagen, Germany.
- Hoffman, J. 2007. Terms of reference: Managing the risk of mobile banking technologies. Finmark Trust.
Jinny. 2008. USSD. JinnyTM.
- Ling, A. 2008. Interview with F Schwenke (done on 4 March 2008).
- Mark, O. & Bang M. 2008. Dawn of e-commerce loom as banks leaps into mobile banking. Business Daily Africa: 5 August 2008.
- MacDonald, J.A., Sirett, W.G. & Mitchell, C.J. 2005. Overcoming channel bandwidth constraints in secure SIM applications. Proceedings of the 20th IFIP International Information Security Conference, Chiba, 30 May - 1 June 2005.
- MTN. 2008. MTN Group - Media Centre - Overview. MTN. Available WWW: http://www.mtn.com/mtn.group.web/media/overviewdetail.aspx?pk=359 (accessed 13 April 2008).
- Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications, Port Elizabeth, 2-4 September 2009 (http://www.zaw3.co.za)
- Oliver, B. & Barrett, C. 2004. Comfort & Ubiquity = Adoption: Enhancing first year students' communication skills with handheld computers. In Atkinson, R., McBeath, C., Jonas-Dwyer, D. & Philips, R. (eds), Beyond the comfort zone: Proceedings of the 21st ASCILITE Conference, 5-8 December 2004.
- Pau,L-F. 2004. Mobile operators as banks or vice versa - and - the challenges of mobile channels for banks. ERIM Research Report: ERS-2004-015-LIS.
- Pousttchi, K. 2004. An analysis of the mobile payment problem in Europe.
- Proceedings of the Multi-conference economical informatics (MKWI), University of Duisburg-Essen, 9.-11 March 2004: 260-268.
- Pousttchi, K.S.B. & Turowski, K. 2002. Enabling mobile commerce through mass customization. Proceedings of 3rd International NAISO symposium on Engineering of Intelligent Systems, Malga, Spain, 24-27 September 2002.
- Redknee. 2008. Customers worldwide - Europe. Redknee. Available WWW: http://www.redknee.com/results/customers_worldwide/europe/ (Accessed 14 September 2008)
- Scholtz J. & Richter, H. 2001. Report from Ubicomp 2001 Workshop: Evaluation Methodologies for Uniquitous Computing. In Abowd, G. (ed). ACM SIGCHI Bulletin 2002:9.
- Schwenke, F. & Weideman, M. 2007. Mobile application access channels - technologies, attributes and awareness. Proceedings of the 9th Annual conference on WWW applications, Johannesburg, South Africa, 5-7 September 2007.
- SmartTrust. 2003. Delivery Platform - System Description. SmartTrust AB. Taddesse, W. & Kidan T.G. 2005. e-Payment: Challenges and opportunities in
- Ethiopia. United Nations Economic Commission for Africa.
- Van der Merwe, P.B. 2003. Mobile commerce over GSM: A banking perspective on security. Thesis of Master of Science (Electronics), Faculty of Engineering, University of Pretoria, Pretoria.
- Vodacom. 2008. Vodacom results for the period ended December 31, 2007.
- Vodacom. Available WWW: http://www.vodacom.com/vodacom/mccomcrdetail.do?id=1084&action=detail (accessed 13 April 2008).
- Wikipedia. 2008. Non-repudiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Wikipedia. Available WWW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators (accessed 1 May 2008).