Search engine ranking profile maintenance - a case study.
Kritzinger, W.T., Weideman, M.
Proceedings of The 9th annual Conference on WWW Applications. 4-7 September. Johannesburg, South Africa.
Kritzinger, W.T., Weideman, M. & Visser, E.B. 2007. Search engine ranking profile maintenance - a case study. Proceedings of The 9th annual Conference on WWW Applications. 4-7 September. Johannesburg, South Africa. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
The primary objective of this research project was to determine whether a test webpage will be able to maintain its high ranking with search engines after the Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) elements, as identified in the Chambers model, were implemented. The secondary objective was to determine how many of the test website's competitors were optimised for the keywords they wanted their potential clients to use to find their website using search engines.
The methods employed in this project include a full literature review on SEO, as well as an evaluation of the Chambers model. Previous empirical research has shown that the implementation of the Chambers model had a positive effect on a website's ranking with search engines. Further empirical work has been done to determine whether or not a website will be able to maintain its high ranking with minimal changes to the website itself over a period of one year.
Furthermore, a questionnaire was sent to competitors of the test website. Results were used to do a comparison between the visibility of the test website and its competitor websites. An independent software application was used to evaluate these sites.
The primary conclusion reached is that after implementing the Chambers model, the test website maintained its high ranking with search engines over a period of one year with no further optimisation or submission to search engines. The secondary conclusion reached is that a low percentage of competitors in the same industry were optimised for their own sets of keywords. SEO elements need to be revised constantly in order to ensure that they could be used as valid optimisation components.
- Callan, D. 2004. Your Domain Name. Available WWW: http://www.akamarketing.com/your-domain-name.html (accessed 3 May 2007).
- Chambers, R. 2006. Search engine strategies: a model to improve website visibility for SMME websites. Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
- Clark, M.A, Chou, D.C. & Yen, D.C. 2001. Domain names management: a strategy for electronic commerce security. Information Management and Computer Security, 9(5):225- 232.
- Clay, B. 2006a. Put SEO in your site design. Available WWW: http://www.bruceclay.co.za (accessed 20 May 2007).
- Clay, B. 2006b. Avoiding SEO pitfalls. Available WWW: http://www.bruceclay.co.za (accessed 20 May 2007).
- Clay, B. 2006c. How to use keywords. Available WWW: http://www.bruceclay.co.za (accessed 20 May 2007).
- Galon, D. 1999. The savvy way to successful website promotion: Secrets of successful Websites, Attracting on-line traffic. The most up to date guide to top positioning on search engines. Canada: Trafford Publishing.
- George, D. 2005. The ABC of SEA. Morrisville: Lulu Press.
- Goh, D.H. & Wang, J.C. 2004. Designing a virtual exhibition using Scalable Vector
- Graphics. In: Proceedings of New Information Perspectives, 56(3):144-155, March. Gorman. R.T. 2000. Get your business online: How to conceptualize, design, and build an
effective business website in less than 30 days. USA:Streetwise Publishing.
- Green, D. 2000. The evolution of web Searching. Online Information Review. 24(2):
- Guenther, K. 2004b. Know the fundamentals and good design would follow. Online
- Henzinger, M.R., Motwani, R. & Silverstein, C. 2002. Challenges in Web Search Engines. Available WWW: http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigir/forum/F2002/henzinger.pdf (accessed 2 May 2007).
- Konia, B.S. 2002. Search engine optimization with WebPosition GOLD 2. Plano, TX: Wordware.
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2005. A study on the correct usage of webpage keywords to improve search engine ranking. In: Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on WWW Applications. 31 August - 2 September. South Africa, Cape Town. Available WWW: http://www.zaw3.co.za (accessed 12 May 2007).
- Nobles, R & O'Neil S. 2000. Maximize website traffic: build website traffic fast and free by optimizing search engine placement. MA: Avon Corporation.
- Notess, G.R. 1999. On the Net: Rising relevance in search engines. Online Magazine, Issue May. 84-87.
- Ramos, A. & Cota, S. 2004. Insider's guide to SEO: how to get your website to the top of the search engines. Fremont, CA: Jain.
17 Rowley, J. 2001. Knowledge organisation in a Web-based environment. Management
- Rowley. J. 2004. Online Branding. Online Information Review, 28(2):131-138. Decision, 39(5):355-361.
- Rowley, J. 1996. Retailing and shopping on the Internet. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy, 6(1):81-91.
- Spink, A. & Xu, J.L. 2000. Selected results from a large study of Web searching: the Excite study. Information Research, 6(1). Available WWW: http://informationr.net/ir/6- 1/paper90.html (accessed 20 May 2007).
- Sullivan, D. 2006. comScore Media Metrix Search Engine Ratings. Available WWW: http://www.searchenginewatch.com (accessed 30 May 2007).
- Synder, H. & Rosenbaum, H. 1999. Can Search Engines be used as tools for web-Link Analysis? A Critical Review. Journal of Documentation. 55(4):375-384.
- Szasz, S. 2007. Google penalised me for having a Banner Ad. Available WWW: http://www.webseo.com.au/blog/google-penalised-me-for-having-a-banner-ad/ (accessed 29 May 2007).
- Thelwall, M. 2001. Commercial web site links. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy. 11(2): 114-124.
- Thelwall, M. 2000. Effective websites for small and medium-sized enterprises. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 7(2):149-159.
- Thurow, S. 2003. Search engine visibility. Indianapolis, IN: New Riders Press.
- Van Steenderen, M. 2001. Web site management: making a Web site more visible. South African Journal of Information Management, 2(4). Available WWW: http://www.sajim.co.za (accessed 13 May 2007).
- Visser, E.B. 2007. Search engine optimisation elements' effect on website visibility: The Western Cape real estate SMME sector. Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
- Visser, E.B., Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2006. Search engine optimisation elements and their effect on Website visibility: implementation of the Chambers model. In: Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference on WWW Applications. 6 - 8 September. South Africa, Bloemfontein. Available WWW: http://www.zaw3.co.za (accessed 12 May 2007).
- Weideman, M. 2005. Internet Searching Articles. Available WWW: http://www.mwe.co.za/seaarticles.htm (accessed 13 May 2007).
- Weideman, M. 2004. Empirical evaluation of one of the relationships between the user, search engines, metadata and web sites in three-letter .com web sites. South African Journal of Information Management, 6(3). Available WWW: http://www.sajim.co.za (accessed 12 May 2007).
- Weideman, M. & Strümpfer, C. 2004. The effect of search engine keyword choice and demographic features on Internet searching success. Information Technology and Libraries, ISSN: 0730-9295, 23(2):58-65.
- Weideman, M. 2002. Effective application of metadata in South African HEI websites to enhance visibility to Search Engines. In: Proceedings of The 4th annual Conference on WWW Applications, September 2002. South Africa: Bellville. Available WWW: http://general.rau.ac.za/infosci/www2002/ (accessed 10 May 2007).
- Weideman, M. & Haig-Smith, T. 2002. An investigation into search engines as a form of targeted advert delivery. In: Proceedings of South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT): Enablement Through Technology, 16 - 18 September 2002, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 258.
- Zhang, J., Dimitroff, A. 2005. The impact of webpage content characteristics on webpage visibility in search engine results (Part I). Information Processing and Management. 41: 665-690.