An empirical study on the implementation of the Chambers model: Search engine optimisation elements and their effect on website visibility.
Visser, E.B., Kritzinger, W.
Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference on WWW Applications. 5-8 September. Bloemfontein, South Africa.
Visser, E.B., Kritzinger, W. & Weideman, M. 2006. An empirical study on the implementation of the Chambers model: Search engine optimisation elements and their effect on website visibility. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference on WWW Applications. 5-8 September. Bloemfontein, South Africa. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
The primary objective of this research project was to determine whether Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) elements, as identified in the Chambers model, affect website visibility.
A full literature review was done on SEO, as well as an evaluation of the Chambers model. Secondly, empirical work has been done to determine whether or not the implementation of the Chambers model have any effect on a website's ranking. A Small Medium & Micro Enterprise (SMME) with an active website was identified. An independent software application was used to determine search engine result ranking on predetermined search engines. The website was then submitted to search engines and tested again in order to determine whether search engine result ranking had improved.
The next phase entailed replacing the original website with a new one that closely resembles the original, as seen by the human visitor. However, during the design on the new website, the elements of the Chambers model were implemented. The new website was hosted on the Internet, submitted to the same search engines and tested. The three documented search engine result ranking outputs were then compared.
The first result indicated that the website was not registered at any of the search engines. The second set of results proved that the website did improve in ranking but not substantially. The third set indicated that a radical improvement of ranking and visibility has occurred. The primary conclusion reached is that implementation of the Chambers model does have a positive effect on website visibility.
- Alimohammadi, D. 2005. Meta-tags: still a matter of opinion. The Electronic Library, 23(6):625-631.
- Alimohammadi, D. 2003. Meta-tag: a means to control the process of Web indexing. Online Information Review, 27(4):238-242.
- Ananzi. (firstname.lastname@example.org). 2006a. Ananzi Submission. Kritzinger (email@example.com). (Accessed 3 May 2006).
- Ananzi. (firstname.lastname@example.org). 2006b. Ananzi Submission. Kritzinger (email@example.com). (Accessed 11 May 2006).
- Anon. 2006. Ananzi. [Online]. Available WWW:
(Accessed 14 May 2006).
- Chambers, R. 2005. Search engine strategies: A model to improve website visibility for SMME websites. Unpublished M.Tech thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Cockburn, C., Wilson, T.D. 1995. Business use of the World Wide Web. Information Research, 1(2). [Online]. Available WWW: http//informationr.net/ir/1-2/paper6.html (Accessed 20 April 2006).
- Craven, T.C. 2003. HTML Tags as Extraction Cues for Web Page Description Construction. Information Science Journal, 6(2003):1-12.
- Davis, J. 2000. A guide to Web Marketing: successful promotion on the net. London: Kogan Page Limited.
- Elser, J.K. & Paxton, J. 2005. A search engine that learns. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Association of Science and Technology for Development (IASTED) International Conference on Computational Intelligence, July 2005. Canada: Calgary: 316- 320.
- Fetterly, D., Manasse, M. & Najork, M. 2004. Spam, Damn Spam, and Statistics. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Workshop on the Web and Databases, June 2004. France: Paris. [Online]. Available WWW: http://research.microsoft.com/~najork/webdb2004.pdf (Accessed 16 May 2006).
- George, D. 2005. The ABC of SEO. Morrisville: Lulu Press.
- Green, D. 2000. The evolution of Web searching. Online Information Review,
- Guenther, K. 2004a. Getting your Website Recognized. Online Magazine, May/June:47-49.
- Guenther, K. 2004b. Know the fundamentals and good design would follow. Online Magazine, January/February:54-56.
- Henzinger, M.R., Motwani, R. & Silverstein, C. 2002. Challenges in Web Search Engines. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigir/forum/F2002/henzinger.pdf (Accessed 2 May 2006).
- Hubbard, J. 2004. Indexing the Internet. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.tk421.net/essays/babel.html (Accessed 1 May 2006).
- Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB). 2006. First quarter 2005 highest ad revenue in nine consecutive growth quarters. [Online]. Available WWW: http://iab.net/news/pr_2005_6_6.asp (Accessed 8 April 2006).
- Konia, B.S. 2002. Search Engine Optimization with WebPosition GOLD 2. Plano, Texas: Wordware Publishing.
- Krishnamurthy, S. 2006. Introduction E-MARKETPLAN: A practical methodology to plan e- marketing activities. Business Horizons, 49(2006):51-60.
- Kritzinger, W.T. 2006. The effect webpage body keyword location has on ranking in search engine results: An empirical study. Unpublished M.Tech dissertation, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Machill, M., Neuberger, C. & Schindler, F. 2003. Transparency on the Net: functions and deficiencies of the Internet search engines. Info, 5(1):52-74.
- Moran, M. & Hunt, B. 2005. Search Engine Marketing, Inc.: Driving Search Traffic to your Company's Web Site. New York: IBM Press.
- Morrison, M. & Morrison, J. 2003. Database-Driven Web Sites: Second Edition. Massachusetts: Course Technology.
- Nobles, R. & O‟Neil, S. 2000. Streetwise Maximize Web Site Traffic: Build Web Site Traffic Fast and Free by Optimizing Search Engine Placement. Holbrook: Adams Media Corporation.
- Ntoulas, A., Najork, M., Manasse, M. & Fetterly, D. 2006. Detecting Spam Web Pages through Content Analysis. In: Proceedings of the World Wide Web Conference, May 2006. Scotland: Edinburgh. [Online]. Available WWW: http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/sv-pubs/www2006.pdf (Accessed 16 May 2006).
- Ramos, A. & Cota, S. 2004. Insider's Guide to SEO: How to Get Your Website to the Top of the Search Engine. California: Jain Publishing Company.
- Rowley, J. 2001a. Knowledge organisation in a Web-based environment. Management Decision, 39(5):355-361.
- Spink, A. & Xu, J.L. 2000. Selected results from a large study of Web searching: the Excite study. Information Research, 6(1). [Online]. Available WWW: http://informationr.net/ir/6- 1/paper90.html (Accessed 20 April 2006).
- Strauss, J. & Frost, R. 2001. E-Marketing: second edition. NJ: Prentice-Hall. Sullivan, D. 2002. How to use HTML Meta tags. [Online]. Available WWW:
http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167931 (Accessed 15 May 2006). Synder, H. & Rosenbaum, H. 1999. Can Search Engines be used as tools for web-Link
Analysis? A Critical Review. Journal of Documentation, 55(4): 375-384.
- Thelwall, M. 2000. Effective websites for small and medium-sized enterprises. Journal of
- Small Business and Enterprise Development, 7(2):149-159.
- Thurow, S. 2003. Search Engine Visibility. United States of America: New Riders Press.
- Tyner, R. 2001. Sink or Swim: Internet Search Tools and Techniques. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.ouc.bc.ca/libr/connect96/search.htm (Accessed 17 September 2005).
- Van Steenderen, M. 2001. Web site management: making a Web site more visible. South African Journal of Information Management, 2(4). [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.sajim.co.za (Accessed 14 February 2006).
- Weideman, M. & Chambers, R. 2005. The application of best practice towards improving website visibility to search engines: a pilot study. South African Journal of Information Management, 7(4). [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.sajim.co.za (Accessed 10 May 2006).
- Weideman, M. 2005. Internet Searching Articles. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.mwe.co.za/seaarticles.htm (Accessed 30 March 2006).
- Weideman, M. 2004. Empirical evaluation of one of the relationships between the user, search engines, metadata and websites in three-letter .com websites. South African Journal of Information Management, 6(3). [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.sajim.co.za (Accessed 29 April 2006).
- Weideman, M. 2002. Effective application of metadata in South African HEI websites to enhance visibility to Search Engines. In: Proceedings of The 4th annual Conference on WWW Applications, September 2002. South Africa: Bellville. [Online]. Available WWW: http://general.rau.ac.za/infosci/www2002/ (Accessed 10 May 2006).
- Wilkinson, T.A. 2004. Just Say No to SEO Spam. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.stc.org/intercom/PDFs/2004/2004012_36-37&42.pdf (Accessed 16 May 2006).