Identification of user profiles for preferences of SEO versus PPC.
Neethling, R. & Weideman, M.
Poster in Proceedings of the 8th annual Conference on WWW Applications. 5-8 September. Bloemfontein, South Africa.
Neethling, R. & Weideman, M. 2006. Identification of user profiles for preferences of SEO versus PPC. Poster in Proceedings of the 8th annual Conference on WWW Applications. 5-8 September. Bloemfontein, South Africa. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
There are two main strategies to improve website ranking: SEO and PPC. It has been proven that 60% of potential clients are ignored if a website does not implement SEO. At the same time, some users ignore or do not understand PPC in search engine results. Advertisers invest more in PPC than SEO - there appears to be a contradiction. If advertisers perceive PPC as being more effective, and users do not, why the discrepancy? The purpose of this research project is to compile two user profiles in an attempt to determine what kind of users prefers which type of SEM strategy.
- Chen, W., Lee, C. (2005), "The impact of Web Site Image and Consumer Personality on Consumer Behaviour", International Journal of Management, Vol 22, No 3, pp 484 - 496
- Curran, K. (2004), "Tips for Achieving High Positioning in the Results Pages of the Major Search Engines", Information
- Technology Journal, Vol 3, No 2, pp 202 - 205.
iProspect, (2006), "Search Engine User Behavior Study", Online at www.enqiuro.com/something/somewhere, 31 July 2006
- MarketingSherpa. (2005), "MarketingSherpa’s Search Marketing Benchmark Guide 2005-2006", Online at http://SearchMktgSummary.MarketingSherpa.com, 15 April 2006
- Nachmias, R., Gilad, A. (2002), "Needle in a hyperstack: Searching for information on the world wide web", Journal of Research on Technology in Education, Vol 34, No 4, pp 214-222.
- SEMPO. (2004), "Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization survey of SEM agencies and advertisers", Online at www.dmn.ca/Click/articles/vol7/click07a.pdf, 15 April 2006.
- Sen, R. (2005), "Optimal Search Engine Marketing Strategy", International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol 10, No 1, pp 9 -25.
- Thelwall, M. (2001), "Commercial website links", Internet Research: Electronic applications and policy, Vol 11, No 2, pp. 114-124.