An empirical study on the relationship between body keyword location and search engine result ranking.
Weideman, M. & Kritzinger, W.T.
Poster in Proceedings of e-society. 13-16 July. Dublin, Ireland.
Weideman, M. & Kritzinger, W.T. 2006. An empirical study on the relationship between body keyword location and search engine result ranking. Poster in Proceedings of e-society. 13-16 July. Dublin, Ireland. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
In this empirical study, the authors aim to identify the role played by the placement of keywords in the HTML body text of a webpage in website ranking by search engines. A Spearman Correlation was calculated for each of the seven search engine results sets, as well as for all possible combinations of two search engines combined. It appears as if keywords should be concentrated towards the top of a webpage, and diluted towards the bottom to improve the ranking of a website.
- Alimohammadi, D. 2004. Measurement of the presence of keywords and description meta-tags
on a selected number of Iranian web sites. Online Information Review. 28(3): 220-223.
- Bazac, D. 2002. Why dot-coms fail – a webmaster’s perspective.
http://www.marketingprofs.com [27 February 2006].
- Clay, B. 2004. Search Engine Optimization. http://www.bruceclay.com/web_rank.htm [6 March
- Hämäläinen, M., Whinston, A.B., & Vishik, S. 1996. Electronic markets for learning: education
brokerage on the Internet. Communications of the ACM. 39(6): 51-58.
- Konia, B.S. 2002. Search Engine Optimization with WebPosition Gold 2. Wordware Publishing
Inc: Plano, Texas.
- Mbikiwa, F.N. 2005. Search engine exclusion policies: implications on indexing e-commerce
websites. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Nielsen, J. 2004. Statistics for Traffic Referred by Search Engines and Navigation Directories to
Use IT. http://www.useit.com [13 January 2006].
- Ritchie, K. 2000. Reasons why dot coms fail: how to avoid the pitfalls of e-Business.
http://www.ktb.net [21 February 2006].
- Weideman, M. 2004. Empirical evaluation of one of the relationships between the user, search
engines, metadata and web sites in three-letter .com web sites. South African Journal of
Information Management. 6(3). http://general.rau.ac.za/infosci/RAUjournal/default.asp [13
- Weideman, M., Kritzinger, W. 2003. Search Engine Information Retrieval: Empirical Research
On The Usage Of Metatags To Enhance website Visibility And Ranking Of E-Commerce
websites. Proceedings of The 7th World Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics
(Orlando, Florida, USA, 28-30 July), Volume VI: 231-236.
- Zhang, J., Dimitroff, A. 2005. The impact of webpage content characteristics on webpage
visibility in search engine results (Part I). Information Processing and Management. 41: 665-690.