Comparative case study on website traffic generated by search engine optimisation and a pay-per-click campaign, versus marketing expenditure.
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M.
South African Journal of Information Management, 17(1).
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2015. Comparative case study on website traffic generated by search engine optimisation and a pay-per-click campaign, versus marketing expenditure. South African Journal of Information Management, 17(1). Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
Background. No empirical work was found on how marketing expenses compare when used solely for either the one or the other of the two main types of search engine marketing.
Objectives. This research set out to determine how the results of the implementation of a pay-per-click campaign compared to those of a search engine optimisation campaign, given the same website and environment. At the same time, the expenses incurred on both these marketing methods were recorded and compared.
Method. The active website of an existing, successful e-commerce concern was used as platform. The company had been using pay-per-click only for a period, whilst traffic was monitored. This system was decommissioned on a particular date and time, and an alternative search engine optimisation system was started at the same time. Again, both traffic and expenses were monitored.
Results. The results indicate that the pay-per-click system did produce favourable results, but on the condition that a monthly fee has to be set aside to guarantee consistent traffic.
The implementation of search engine optimisation required a relatively large investment at the outset, but it was once-off. After a drop in traffic owing to crawler visitation delays, the website traffic bypassed the average figure achieved during the pay-per-click period after a little over three months, whilst the expenditure crossed over after just six months.
Conclusion. Whilst considering the specific parameters of this study, an investment in search engine optimisation rather than a pay-per-click campaign appears to produce better results at a lower cost, after a given period of time.
- Akakandelwa, A., 2011, 'An exploratory survey on the SADC e-government
web sites', Library Review 60(5), 421-431. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/
- Barreto, A.M., 2013, 'Do users look at banner ads on Facebook?', Journal of Research
in Interactive Marketing 7(2), 119-139. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JRIM-
- Boyes, J.A. & Irani, Z., 2004, 'An analysis of the barriers and problems to web
infrastructure development experienced by small businesses', International
Journal of Information Technology and Management 3(2/4), 189-207. http://
- Brunn, D.S. & Dodge, M., 2001, 'Mapping the “worlds” of the World Wide Web: (Re)
structuring global commerce through hyperlinks', American Behavior Scientists
44(10), 1717-1739. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0002764201044010011
- Chen, C.-Y., Shih, B.-Y., Chen, Z.-S. & Chen, T.-H., 2011, 'The exploration of internet
marketing strategy by search engine optimization: A critical review and
comparison', African Journal of Business Management 5(12), 4644-4649.
- Craven, T.C., 2003, 'HTML tags as extraction cues for webpage description
construction', Information Science Journal 6, 1-12.
- Crowley, M., 2014, 'Take the guesswork out of your marketing strategy', Journal of
Financial Planning 27(1), 16.
- Green, D., 2000, 'The evolution of Web searching', Online Information Review 24(2),
- Guenther, K., 2014, 'Getting your website recognized', Online Magazine, Issue May/
June, 47-49. Guidelines for optimising and making your site searchable, 2014,
viewed 01 March 2015, from http://www.ananzi.co.za/submit/guidelines
- Gupta, A. & Mateen, A., 2014, 'Exploring the factors affecting sponsored search ad
performance', Marketing Intelligence & Planning 32(5), 586-599. http://dx.doi.
- Henzinger, M.R., Motwani, R. & Silverstein, C., 2002, 'Challenges in web search
engines', viewed 30 April 2015, from http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigir/forum/
- Hubbard, J., 2004, 'Indexing the Internet', in Essay for Drexel University College of
Information Science and Technology, viewed 25 April 2015, from http://www.
- Kennedy, K. & Kennedy, B.B., 2008, 'A small company's dilemma: Using search engines
effectively for corporate sales', Management Research News 31(10), 737-745.
- Kent, P., 2012, Search engine optimization for dummies, 5th edn., Wiley and Sons,
- Kisiel, R., 2010, 'Dealers get on top of search engine results', Automotive News
- Kumar, E. & Kohli, S., 2007, 'A strategic analysis of search engine advertising in web
based-commerce', Journal of Internet Banking & Commerce 12(2), 1-13.
- Lee, W.I., 2010, 'The development of a qualitative dynamic attribute value model
for healthcare institutes', Iranian Journal of Public Health 39(4), 15-25. PMID:
- Lee, W.I., Chen, C.W. & Wu, C.H., 2010, 'Relationship between quality of medical
treatment and customer satisfaction - A case study in dental clinic association',
International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control 6,
- Lee, W.I. & Lin, C.H., 2011, 'Consumer hierarchical value map modeling in the healthcare
service industry', African Journal of Business Management 5(3), 722-736.
- Malaga, R.A., 2010, 'Search engine optimization - Black and white hat approaches',
Advances in Computers 78, 1-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2458(10)78001-3
- Mancuso, A., 2013, 'How Google AdWords' Ad Rank Algorithm Update Increased Brand
CPC's by 600 Percent', viewed 12 May 2015, from http://www.seerinteractive.
- Moreno, L. & Martinez, P., 2013, 'Overlapping factors in search engine optimization
and web accessibility', Online Information Review 37(4), 564-580. http://dx.doi.
- Moxley, D., Blake, J. & Maze, S., 2004, 'Web search engine advertising practices and
their effect on library service', The Bottom Line: Managing Library Finances 17(2),
- Murphy, H.C. & Kielgast, C.D., 2008, 'Do small and medium-sized hotels exploit
search engine marketing?', International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality
Management 20(1), 90-97. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09596110810848604
- Nabout, N.A., 2015, 'A novel approach for bidding on keywords in newly set-up search
advertising campaigns', European Journal of Marketing 49(5/6), 668-691. http://
- Nielsen, J., 2014, 'Top ten global web parent companies', viewed 08 March 2015, from
- Olbrich, R. & Schultz, C.D., 2014, 'Multichannel advertising: Does print advertising
affect search engine advertising?', European Journal of Marketing 48(9/10), 1731-
- Onaifo, D. & Rasmussen, D., 2013, 'Increasing libraries' content findability on the web
with search engine optimization', Library Hi-Tech 31(1), 87-108. http://dx.doi.
- Oppenheim, C., Morris, A. & McKnight, C., Lowley, S., 2000, 'The evaluation of
WWW search engines', Journal of Documentation 56(2), 190-211. http://dx.doi.
- Plaza, B., 2009, 'Monitoring web traffic source effectiveness with Google Analytics:
An experiment with time series', Aslib Proceedings 61(5), 474-482. http://dx.doi.
- Sagin, E., 2013, 'What the new AdWords ad rank algorithm really means', viewed
29 January 2015, from http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2013/10/24/
- Sen, R., 2005, 'Optimal search engine marketing strategy', International Journal of
Electronic Commerce 10(1), 9-25.
- Singh, A.M., 2002, 'The Internet - Strategies for optimal utilization in South
Africa', South African Journal of Information Management 4(1). http://dx.doi.
- Thelwall, M., 2001, 'Commercial web site links', Internet Research 11(2), 114-124.
- Vaughan, L., 2014, 'Discovering business information from search engine query data',
Online Information Review 38(4), 562-574. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/OIR-08-
- Visser, E.B. & Weideman, M., 2011, 'An empirical study on website usability elements and
how they affect search engine optimisation', South African Journal of Information
Management 13(1). 9 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.4102/sajim.v13i1.428
- Weideman, M., 2013, 'Comparative analysis of homepage website visibility and
academic rankings for UK universities', Information Research 18(4), viewed 30
April 2015, from http://InformationR.net/ir/18-4/paper599.html
- Weideman, M., 2009, Website visibility: The theory and practice of improving ranking,
Chandos Publishers, Oxford.
- Zuze, H. & Weideman, M., 2013, 'Keyword stuffing and the big three search engines',
Online Information Review 37(2), 268-286. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/OIR-11-