Measurement of the usability of web-based hotel reservation systems.
Shasha, Z.T. 2016. Measurement of the usability of web-based hotel reservation systems. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town. Graduated 16 September 2016. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
The aim of this research project was to determine what the degree of usability is of a sample of online reservation systems of Cape Town hotels.
The literature has indicated that the main aim of website usability is to make the engagement process with a website a more efficient and enjoyable experience. Researchers noted that well designed, high-quality websites, with grammatically accurate content, create a trustworthy online presence. User-friendly sites also attract far more traffic. Previous research has also shown that a loss of potential sales is possible due to users being unable to find what they want, if poor website design has been implemented. Loss of potential income through repeat visits is also a possibility, due to a negative user experience.
The research instrument that was employed in this research is usability testing. It is a technique used to evaluate product development that incorporates user feedback in an attempt to create instruments and products that meet user needs, and to decrease costs.
The research focused on Internet-based hotel reservation systems. Only the usability was measured. Both standard approaches were used in this research project, in a combined quantitative and qualitative research design.
In conclusion, the purpose of this research was to determine the degree of usability of specified Cape Town hotel online reservation systems. The outcomes of this study indicated interesting patterns in that reservation systems met user requirements more often than expected. However, the figures of acceptability obtained were still below the generally accepted norms for usability. The amount of time spent to complete a booking also decreased, as users worked on more than one reservation system.
- Ahn, T., Ryu, S. and Han, I. 2007. The impact of Web quality and having fun: Cognitive absorption and beliefs about information technology usage. MIS Quarterly, 44(3): 263-275.
- Al-Awar, J., Chapanis, A. and Ford, R. 1981. Tutorials for the first-time computer user. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 24: 30-37.
- Aluri, A., Slevitch, L. and Larzelere, R. 2015. The effectiveness of embedded social media on hotel websites and the importance of social interactions and return on engagement. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(4): 670-689.
- Alvaro, R. and Victor, A.J. 2009. Quality of hotel websites. Proposal for the development of an assessment methodology. An international multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism, 5(1): 173-178.
- Anonymous. 2012a. SEO Term Glossary - Combined from Institute Glossaries. http://www.sempo.org/?page=glossary [04 February 2016].
- Anonymous. 2012b. Brand South Africa Media Service. http://www.mediaclubsouthafrica.com/index.php [31 January 2013].
- Anonymous. 2008. Current Trends and Best Marketing Practices in Hospitality Internet Marketing. http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.php/content/article/070824 [11 July 2013].
- Assaf, A.G. and Magnini, V. 2012. Accounting for customer satisfaction in measuring hotel efficiency: Evidence from the United States hotel industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31(3): 642-647.
- Assawy, M. 2005. Testing the usability of hotel websites: The springboard for customer relationship building. Journal of Information Technology & Tourism, 8(1): 47-70.
- Au-Yeung, T. and Law, R. 2003. Usability evaluation of Hong Kong hotel websites. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Axinn, W.G.P. 2006. Mixed method data collection strategies. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Babbie, E. and Mouton, J. 2001. The practice of social research. South African Ed. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- Bai, B., Law, R. and Wen, I. 2008. The Impact of website quality on customer satisfaction and purchase intentions: Evidence from Chinese online visitors. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 27(3): 391-402.
- Barnard, L. and Wesson, J.L. 2003. Usability issues for e-commerce in South Africa: an empirical investigation. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT), South Africa, Pretoria, 17-19 September 2003: 258-267.
- Bayat, M.S. and Ismail, R. 2008. Tourism and Hospitality Dictionary. Cape Town: Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
- Beetett, B and Turner, G. 2009. Triangulation: How and Why triangulation research can help grow market share and profitability. http://www.beckettadvisors.com/pdfs/09_may_white_1.pdf [23 June 2013].
- Berry, L.L. 1995. On Great Service. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Quarterly, 14-19. Bevan, N and Macleod, M. 1994. Usability measurement in context. Behaviour and Information Technology, 13: 132-145.
- Bhattacherjee, A. 2001. An empirical analysis of the antecedents of electronic commerce
service continuance. Decision Support Systems, 32(2): 201-214.
- Blackshaw, P. and Nazzaro, M. 2006. The Global Measure Standard in Consumer-Generated Media: A Nielsen BuzzMetrics Paper. Consumer- Generated Media (CGM) 101 Word-of- Mouth in the Web-Fortified Consumer: Second Edition, Spring. http://www.nielsen- online.com/downloads/us/buzz/nbzm_wp_CGM101.pdf [01 February 2016].
- Blanche, T.M., Durrheim, K. and Painter, D. 2006. Research in Practice: Applied Methods for Social Science. Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press.
- Botha, A., Herselman, M. and Van Greunen, D. 2010. Mobile user experience in a mlearning environment. Proceedings of the 2010 Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT), South Africa, Bela Bela, 11-13 October: 29-38.
- Brocka, B. 2012. How to recruit user test participants? http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/16409/how-to-recruit-user-test-participants [05April 2015].
- Bruno, V. and Al-Qaimari, G. 2004. Usability Attributes: An Initial Step Toward Effective User- Centred Development. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Australian Computer- Human Interaction Special Interest Group (CHISIG), Wollongong, 22(24): 1-4.
- Bryman, A. 2008. Social research methods (3rd ed). Oxford: Oxford University Press. Buhalis, D. 2004. Hospitality: Strategic and tactical use of ICTs in the hospitality industry.
Information & Management, 44(7): 805-825.
- Buhalis, D. 2000. Tourism and Information technologies: Past, Present and Future. Tourism
Recreation Research, 25(1): 41-58.
- Buhalis, D. and Costa, C. 2006. Tourism Business Frontiers. Consumers, Products and
Industry. Oxford: Elsevier Ltd.
- Buhalis, D. and Law, R. 2008. Progress in information technology and tourism management: 20 years on and 10 years after the Internet - the state of e tourism research. Tourism Management, 29(4): 609-623.
- BusinessDictional.com. 2014. Data Analysis http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/data-analysis.html#ixzz34doPh9Zb [20 May 2015].
- Buttle, F. 2004. Customer Relationship Management: Concepts and tools. Oxford: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Cao, M., Zhang, Q. and Seydel, J. 2005. B2C e-commerce website quality on imperial website. Information and Management, 39(2): 151-163.
- Carlson, J., Voola, R. and Sinnapan, S. 2003. Application of the WebQual instrument to three Australian B2C websites: An exploratory investigation. Proceedings of the ANZMAC 2003 Conference, Adelaide. http://www.smib.vum.ac.nz:8081/www/anzwac2003/papers/OL09 calsonj.pdf [20 July 2015].
- Castillo, J.J. 2009. Research Population. http://www.experiment-resources.com/research- population.html [12 March 2016].
- Caulton, D.A. 2001. Relaxing the homogeneity assumption in usability testing. Behaviour & Information Technology, 20: 1-7.
- Chaffey, D. 2009. Internet marketing strategy implementation and practice: Financial Times, Prentice Hall, Europe.
- Chambers, R. 2005. Search engine strategies: A model to improve website visibility for SMME websites. Unpublished MTech thesis, Cape Town. Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
- Chea, S. and Luo, M.M. 2005. E-service customer retention: the role of negative affectivity and perceived switching costs. Proceedings of the 11th Americas Conference on Information Systems, USA, Omaha, NE.
- Chelule, E., Herselman, M. and Van Greunen, D. 2010. E-commerce usability: do we need guidelines for emerging economies? Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference on Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction, 29-31 July, Freiburg, Germany: 19-26.
- Cho, A., Willis, S. and Stewart-Weeks, M. 2011. The Resilient Society Innovation: Productivity, and the Art and Practice of Connectedness http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac79/docs/ps/The-Resilient-Society_IBSG.pdf [08 January 2016].
- Chon, K.S. and Sparrowe, R.T. 2000. Welcome to Hospitality: An Introduction. Albany: Delmar.
- Christou, E. 2003. On-line buyer‘s trust in a brand and the relationship with brand loyalty: the case of virtual travel agents. Tourism Today, 3(1): 95-105.
- Christou, E. and Kassianidis, P. 2003. Consumer perception and adoption of online buying for travel products. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 12(4): 93-107.
- Chung, T. and Law, R. 2003. Developing a Performance Indicator for Hotel Websites. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 22(1): 119-158.
- Cohen, S.B. 1982. Data Collection Organization Effect in the National Medical Care Expenditure Survey. The American Statistician, 36(4): 337-341.
- Coniffer, D. 2000. Development usable websites - a review and model. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Application and Policy, 10(4): 295-307.
- Corazzon, R. 2009. Theory and history of ontology: A resource guide for philosophers. http://www.formalontology.it [02 August 2015].
- Creswell, J.W. 2012. Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
- Creswell, J.W. and Plano Clark, V.L. 2011. Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research. London: Sage.
- Darwin, 2007. Ontological Vs Epistemological Complexity. http://www.chilicondrarwin.com/chilicondrarwin/news/entries/2007/6/1html [09 October 2015].
- DeMarco, T. 1999. Management Can Make Quality (Im) possible. Cutter IT Summit, Boston. Demes, J. 2009. South Africa's hospitality industry.
http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/166/38976.html [02 June 2015].
- Denscombe, M. 2002. The good research guide: for small-scale social research projects, 3rd ed. Berkshire: McGraw-Hill.
- Denzin, N.K. and Lincoln, Y.S. 2003. Handbook of Qualitative Research: Strategies of Qualitative Inquiry. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Diwan, P. and Sharma, S. 2009. E-commerce: A manager's Guide to E-Business. New Delhi: Naraina.
- Eisenberg, B. 2011a. What is Gumtree? How to stay safe on Gumtree. http://terrasus.com/detail.jsp?articleID=101 [05 April 2016].
- Eisenberg, B. 2011b. Why you should consider poster advertising. http://inspirationfeed.com/inspiration/advertising-inspiration/why-you-should-consider-poster- and-flyer-advertising/ [05 April 2016].
- Eisenberg, B., Quarto-von Tivadar, J., Davis, L.T. and Crosby, B. 2008. Always be testing: The complete guide to Google website optimizer. Indianapolis: Sybex.
- Elliott, K.M. and Meng, J.G. 2011. Hotel website information: How satisfied are customers with what a hotel provides. International Journal of Business Strategy, 11(1).
- Equinus, K. and Ellion, E. 2007. Website evaluation. Website Evaluation Report, 1: 1-11.
- Faisal, S.H. 2011. Impact of E-commerce on the Business. http://faisalshaikh.articlealley.com/impact-of-ecommerce-on-the-business-2166859.html [13 March 2016].
- Fang, L. 2008. Usability evaluation on websites. Proceedings of Computer-Aided Industrial Design and Conceptual Design. CAID, 9th International Conference. 141-144.
- Faulkner, L. 2003. Beyond the five-user assumption: Benefits of increased sample sizes in usability testing. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments and Computers, 35(3): 379-383.
- FEDHASA 2008. The hospitality industry: Industry profile. http://adg.adg.stanford.edu/aa241/intro/hospitalityindustry2007.pdf [26 November 2015].
- Finland, E. 2010. A Usability Test Measures Usability and Passes the Voice of the End User. http://ww.etnoteam.fi/koti/artikkelit/kaytettavyystesti-mittaa-kaytettavyytta-ja-valittaa-kayttajan- aanta [21 February 2016].
- Finney, D.P. 1975. Numbers and Data Numbers and Data. Biometrics, 31(2): 375-386. Fiol-Roig, G., Miro-Julia, M. and Herraiz, E. 2011. Data Mining Techniques for Web Page
Classification. Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, 89: 61-69.
- Flavian, C., Guinaliu, M. and Gurrea, R. 2006. The role played by perceived usability,
satisfaction and consumer trust on website loyalty. Information and Management, 43(1): 1-14. Fox, W. and Bayat, S.M. 2007. A guide to Managing Research. Cape Town: Juta & Co Ltd.
- Franco. C.F. 2001. E-business: Technologie de informasaoe negocias na Internet. Sao Paulo: Atlas.
- George, D. 2005. The ABC of SEO. Morrisville, NC: Lulu Press.
- Ghosh, D. 2013. The burgeoning hospitality industry in India is witnessing a steadily growing use of IT for reaching out to customers-and offering them differentiated personalised service. http://computer.financialexpress.com/features/1114-marketing-redefined [14 March 2016].
- Gilbert, D., Powell-Perry, J. and Widijoso, S. 1999. Approaches by hotels to the use of the Internet as a relationship marketing tool. Journal of Marketing Practice: Applied Marketing Science, 5(1): 21-38.
- Gilje, F.L. 2004. Sharing emotions and experience of care. Nursing form, 39(4): 36-39. Gilmore, J.H. and Pine, J. 1997. The four faces of mass customization: Harvard Business
Review, 75(1): 91-101.
- Good, A. and Sambhanthan, A. 2012. Hotels with a poor website face drop in profits.
http://phys.org/news/2012-02-hotel-poor-website-profits.html#jCp [24 January 2016].
- Google. 2013. Webmaster guidelines. http://www.google.com/support/webmaster/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769 [16 March 2016].
- Greenstein, M. and Feinman, T.M. 2000. Electronic Commerce: Security, Risk Management and Control. Boston: Irwin McGraw-Hill.
- Gretzel, U., Yuan, Y.L. and Fesenmaier, D.R. 2000. Preparing for the new economy: advertising strategies and change in destination marketing organizations. Journal of Travel Research, 29(2): 146-156.
- Grillot, K. 2007. E-Buss and the Hospitality Industry: Direct Web Distribution Model. http://kg- ebuss-emc.blogspot.com/2007/12/direct-web-distribution-model.html [11 July 2015].
- Hassen, O.C.C. 2005. A case Study in Methods for Usability Evaluation of Mobile phone application in a controlled environment. Master's Thesis. Lund University, http://www1.design.lth.se/usabilitylab/theses/LUTMDNTMAT-5079-SE.pdf [23 March 2016].
- Hearn, P. 2012. Websites-it's important for business. http://www.resource.bravenet.com/article/profit/advertisingwebsite_its_important_for_business [13 January 2016].
- Henkin, S. 2001. Opportunities in Hotel and Management careers. Chicago: McGraw Hill Companies.
- Herrero, A., San Martin, H. and Hernández, J.M. 2015. How online search behavior is influenced by user-generated content on review websites and hotel interactive websites. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(7): 1573-1597.
- Hertzum, M. and Jacobsen, N.J. 2001. The evaluator effect: A chilling fact about usability evaluation methods. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 13(4): 421-443.
- Hotel Marketing. 2008. Current Trends and Best Marketing Practices in Hospitality Internet Marketing. http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.phpcontent/article070824 [29 July 2015].
- Hussey, J. and Hussey, C. 1997. Business Research: A practical Guide for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Student. Palgrave: MacMillan.
- Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB). 2012. Travel Online Travel Leisure Business Travel Consumer Travel Booking Unmanaged. http://www.grabstats.com/statmain.aspx?StatsID=346 [24 October 2015].
- Internet World Stats. 2012. 1,407 million Internet Users. http://www.Internetworldstats [05 July 2015].
- Jahanshahloo, G.R., Hosseinzadeh, F., Shoja, N. and Sanei, M.G. 2005. Tohidi Sensitivity and Stability Analysis in Data Envelopment Analysis. The Journal of the Operational Research Society, 56(3): 342-345.
- James, J.P. 2002. Usability and usefulness of ergonomics websites: A preliminary investigation. South African Journal of Information Management 4(1). http://www.sajim.co.za [12 January 2016].
- Jeffrey, R. 1994. Handbook of Usability Testing. John & Sons, Inc.
- Jeong M., Oh, H. and Gregoire, M. 2003. Conceptualizing Website quality and its
consequences in the lodging industry. Hospitality Management, 22(2): 161-175.
- Jeong, M., Oh, H. and Gregoire, M. 2001. An Internet marketing strategy study for the lodging
industry. Washington: America Hotel and Lodging Foundation.
- Jing, J., Gillette, R. and Weiss, K.R. 2009. Evolving concepts of arousal: insights from simple model systems, 20(5-6): 405-427.
- Joeng, M. and Lambert, C. 2001. Adaptation of an information quality framework to measure customer's behavioral intention to use lodging websites. International Journal of Hospitality management, 20(2): 129-146.
- Johnson, C.M., Johnston, D., Crowley, P.K., Culbertson, H., Rippen, H.E., Damico, D.J. and Plaisant, C. 2011. EHR Usability Toolkit: A Background Report on Usability and Electronic Health Records. Rockville.
- Jones, P. 2002. Introduction to Hospitality Operations. London: Continuum.
- Joubish, M.F., Khurram, M.A., Ahamed, A., Fatima, S.T.F. and Haider, K. 2011. Paradigms and Characteristics of a Good Qualitative Research. World Applied Science Journal, 12(11): 2082-2087.
- Kaplanidou, K. and Vogt, C. 2003. Destination Holiday branding: Concepts and measurements. Working Paper, Michigan State University. http://www.esade.edu/cedit2006/pdfs2006/papers/paper_risitano_esade_def.pdf [23 May 2015].
- Kearney, A.T. 2001. Usability Net: The business case of usability. Munich: GRIN.
- Kotler, P., Bowen, J. and Makens, J. 2003. Marketing for Hospitality and Tourism (3rd ed.).
Upper Saddle river, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kritzinger, W.T. and Weideman, M. 2008. Finding the synergy: search engine optimization vs. website usability. Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications, September 3−5, South Africa, Cape Town. http://www.zaw3.co.za [01 February 2016].
- Krug, S. 2014. Don't make me think Revisited. A Common Sense Approach to Web and Mobile Usability. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing.
- Krug, S. 2006. Don't make me think (2nd ed.). A common sense approach to Web usability. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing.
- Krug, S. 2000. Don't make me think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability. Indianapolis: Que.
- Kumar, R. 2005. Research Methodology-A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners: (2nd ed.). Singapore: Pearson Education.
- Kuo, P.J., Zhang, L. and Cranage, D.A. 2015. What you get is not what you saw: exploring the impacts of misleading hotel website photos. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(6): 1301-1319.
- Kyrmn, J, 2013. What is Web Design? An Introduction to the Basics of Web Design. http://webdesign.about.com/od/webdesign/qt/what-is-web-design.htm [01 February 2016].
- Laudon, K.C. and Laudon, J.P. 1999. Sistemas de informacaocom Internet (4th ed.). Rio de Janeiro: LTC.
- Law, R., Leung, R., Lo, A., Leung, D. and Fong, L.H.N. 2015. Distribution channels in hospitality and tourism. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(3): 431-452.
- Law, R., Qi, S. and Buhalis, D. 2010. Progress in tourism management: A review of website evaluation in tourism research. Tourism Management, 31(3): 297-313.
- Lawrie, M. 1997. The history of the Internet in South Africa: How it Began. http://epies.Frd.ac.za/uninet/history [12 September 2015].
- Leedy, P.D. 1980. Practical Research (2nd ed). McMillan: New York.
- Leedy, D.P. and Ormrod, J.E. 2016. Practical Research Planning and Design. 10th Edition.
New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.
- Leedy, P.D. and Ormrod, J.E. 2010. Practical research: Planning and design. 9th Edition. New Jersey, Upper Sadla River: Merrill.
- Leedy, P.D. and Ormrod, J.E. 2005. Practical research: Planning and design. 8th ed. Upper Saddle River: Pearson Education.
- Lewis, J.R. 2001. Evaluation of procedures for adjusting problem-discovery rates estimated from small samples. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 13: 445-479.
- Lewis, J.R. 1995. IBM computer usability satisfaction questionnaire: Psychometric evaluation and instructions for use. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 7(1): 57-78.
- Lewis, J.R. 1993. Problem discovery in usability studies: A model based on the binomial probability formula. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction Orlando, FL: Elsevier: 666-671.
- Lewis, J.R. 1982. Testing Small System Customer Setup. Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 26th Annual Meeting Santa Monica, CA: HFES: 718-720.
- Liang, K. and Law, R. 2003. A modified functionality performance evaluation model for evaluating the performance of China based hotel websites. Journal of Academy of Business and Economics, 2(2): 193-208.
- Liburne, B., Devkota, P. and Khan, K.M. 2004. Measure Quality Metrics for Web Application.
Proceedings of the Information Resources Management Association International Conference, New Orleans, USA: 1-189.
- Lindgaard, G. and Chattratichart, J. 2007. Usability testing: what have we overlooked? Proceeding of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, San Jose, California, USA. April 28-May. CHI '07. ACM, New York, NY: 1415-1424.
- Liu, C. and Arnett, K.P. 2000. Exploring the factors associated with website success in the content of electronic commerce. Information and Management, 38(1): 23-33.
- Liu, B.Q. and Goodhue, D.L. 2008. An exploration of hygiene and motivator aspects of WebQual constructs in predicting website reuse. Proceedings of the 41st Hawaii International Conference on System Science, Hawaii, HI.
- Loiacono, E., Watson, R. and Goodhue, D. 2002. WESQUAL: a measure of website quality. Proceedings of the American Marketing Association, 13: 432-438.
- Lu, M. T. and Yeung, W. L. 1998. A framework for effective commercial Web application development. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Application and Policy, 8(2): 166-173.
- Lund, A. 2008. Measuring usability with the USE questionnaire, STC Usability SIG Newsletter, http://garyperlman.com/quest/quest.cgi?form=USE [23 November 2015].
- Maree, K. 2007. First steps in research. Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Margolis, M. 2012. How to find great participants for your user study. http://www.designstaff.org/articles/recruiting-how-to-find-great-participants-for-your-user study-2012-02-22.html [05 April 2016].
- Market Research. 2013. SurveyMonkey. http://www.surveymonkey.com [05 April 2016].
- Mattison, S. 2013. The Role of Internet in the Hospitality Industry Yahoo! Voice - voice.yahoo.com. http://voices.yahoo.com/the-role-Internet-hospitality-industry- 6499282.html?cat=3 [14 March 2016].
- McLaughin, J. and Skinner, D. 2000. Developing usability and utility. A comparative study of the user of new IT. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 12(3): 413-423.
- MECD Glossary of Terms. 2013. Data collection Methods. http://www.un.org/Depts/oios/mecd/mecd_glossary/documents/tools_category.htm [12 March 2016].
- Medlik, S. 1994. The Business of hotels. Cornwall: Hartnolts Ltd.
- Medlik, S. and Ingram, H. 2000. The business of hotels (4th ed.). London: Elsevier Ltd.
- Mellahi, K. and Johnson, M. 2000. Does it pay to be a first-mover in e-commerce? The case of Amazon.com. Management Decision, 38(7): 445-452.
- Mendes-Filho, L.A.M and Ramos, A.S.M. 2005. Internet diffusion in hospitality industry. Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology. Hershey, Pennsylvania: Idea Group Reference, 1: 1635-1639.
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, 2014. Definition of Impediment. http://www.merriam- webster.com/dictionary/impediment [22 February 2016].
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, 2010. Definition of Research. http://www.merriam- webster.com/dictionary/research [03 August 2015].
- Mgijima, B. and Flowerday, S.V. 2012. Internet success for the small and medium hospitality enterprise: Influence of the owner or manager. African Journal of Business Management, 6(37): 10222-10231.
- Miniwatts Marketing Group. 2012. Internet usage statistics: the Internet big picture: World Internet users and population stats. http://www.Internetworldstats.com/starts [12 November 2015].
- Mizrachi, I. 2010. eTourism is here: Usability of Hotel reservation system-GuestCentric. http://www.etourismishere.com/2010/05/usability-of-hotel-reservation-systems.html [20 March 2016].
- Moczamy, I.M., De Villiers, R. and Van Biljon, J. 2012. How can usability contribute to user experience? A study in the domain of e-commerce. Proceedings of M&D Conference Paper at SAICSIT 2012, South Africa, Pretoria, 01-03 October.
- Mohammed, I., Guilet, B.D., Schuckert, M. and Law, R. 2016. An Empirical Investigation of Corporate Identity Communication on Hong Kong Hotels' Websites. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 25(6): 676-705.
- Mouly, G.J. 1978. Educational Research: The Art and Science of Investigation, Boston: Ally and Bacon.
- Muller, C. 2011. The impact the Internet and social media on the hotel industry: How the Internet and Social Media have changed the way hotel needs to operate if they are not succeeding in today's dynamic and global markets. Norderstedt: Books on demand.
- Mullins, L.J. 1995: Hospitality Management: A Human Resources Approach (2nd ed). London: Pitman.
- Murphy, J. and Olaru, D. 2003. The bandwagon Effect: Swiss Hotels' website and E-mail Management. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 44(1): 17-87.
- Mzoughi, M., Negra, A. and Habacha, A. 2012. Online Reservation Abandonment: How to Bridge the Original Intention and the Actual Behavior. American Journal of Industrial and Management, 2(3): 89-94.
- Nel, J.P. and Com D. 2007. Epistemology Vs Ontology. http://mentornet.co.za/files/documents/EPISTEMOLOGYVSONTOLOGY.pdf [16 August 2015].
- Nielsen, J. 2012. Usability 101- Introduction to Usability. Human Computer Interaction User Testing - Web Usability. http://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-101-introduction-to-usability [29 January 2016].
- Nielsen, J. 2011a. Usability 101: Introduction to usability. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/2003825.html [30 January 2016].
- Nielsen, J. 2011b. Human Computer Interaction - Web usability. http://www.nngroup.com/articles/how-long-do-users-stay-on-web-pagea/ [15 October 2015].
- Nielsen, J. 2003. Usability 101, Introduction to Usability, Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030825.html [01 January 2016].
- Nielsen, J. 2001. Success Rate: The Simplest Usability Metric. https://www.nngroup.com/articles/success-rate-the-simplest-usability-metric/ [1 August 2016].
- Nielsen, J. 2000a. Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing.
- Nielsen, J. 2000b. Quantitative Studies: How Many Users to Test? http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000319.html [08 November 2015].
- Nielsen, J. 1994a. Enhancing the explanatory power of usability heuristics. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference of human Factors in Computing Systems. Boston: AMC: 152-158.
- Nielsen, J. 1994b. Usability Engineering (Interactive Technologies) (1st ed.). San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann.
- Nielsen, J. 1994c. Usability Engineering. Academic Press Inc.
- Nielsen, J. and Landauer, T.K. 1993. A mathematical model of the finding of usability problems. Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems. Amsterdam: ACM: 206-213.
- Nielsen, J. and Loranger, H. 2006. Prioritizing web usability. Berkeley: New Riders.
- Nielsen, J. and Norman, D. 2014. The Definition of User Experience: Nielsen Norman Group
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/definition-user-experience [20 March 2016].
- Nielsen, J. and Shneiderman, B. 1993. Designing the User Interface, Strategies for Effective
Human Computer Interaction. Addison-Wesley.
- Notess, G.R. 2003. On the Net: A decade on the Net. Online, 27(2): 53-55.
- O'Connor, P. 2003. Online pricing: An analysis of Hotel Company practices, Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 44(1): 88-96.
- O'Connor, P. 1999. Cutting out the middleman - Tourism and the Internet. Electronic Distribution Technology in the Tourism and Hospitality. Wallingford: CAB Publishing.
- Oliver, R.L. 1981. Measurement and evaluation of satisfaction processes in retail settings. Journal of Retailing, 5(7): 25-48.
- Oeil, S.J. 2011. Poster Advertising. http://oeilsj.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/poster-advertising [05 April 2016].
- Olsen, W. 2004. Triangulation in Social Research: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods Can Really Be Mixed. http://www.ccsr.ac.ac.uk [11 June 2015].
- Olsen, M.D. 1996. Into the New Millennium. A White Paper on the Global Hospitality Industry, International Hotel Association. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Electronic commerce opportunities and challenges for government, PARIS, France.
- Olsen, M.D. and Connolly, D.J. 2000. Experience-based travel. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 41(1): 30-40.
- Onwuegbuzie, A.J. and Leech, N.L. 2006. Linking Research Questions to Mixed Methods Data Analysis Procedures. The Qualitative Report, 11(3): 474-498.
- Oztekina, A., Nikovb, A., and Zaimc, S. 2009. An assessment methodology for usability of web-based information system. Journal of systems and software, 82(12): 2038-2050.
- Palmer, J. 1999. Digital newspapers explore marketing on the Internet. Communications of the ACM, 42: 33-40.
- Park, Y.A. and Gretzel, U. 2007. Success factors for destination marketing websites: A qualitative meta-analysis. Journal of Travel Research, 46: 46-63.
- Parkinson, G. and Drislane, R. 2011. Qualitative research. In online dictionary of the social sciences. http://bitbucket.icaap.org/dict.pl [05 April 2016].
- Perez, S.K. and Anthony, K.S. 1995. Technical Report for IRDS Conceptual Schema, Part 1: Conceptual Schema for IRDS, Part 2: Modelling Language Analysis. New York: American National Standard Institute.
- Perfetti, C. and Landesman, L. 2002. Eight is not enough. http://world.std.com/~uieweb/Articles/eightisnotenough.htm [28 March 2016].
- Peshkin, A. 1993. The goodness of qualitative research. Education researchers, 22(2): 23-29. Poulter, A. 1997. The design of the World Wide Web search engine: a critical review.
Program, 31(2): 131-145.
- Powers, T. and Barrows, C.W. 1999. Introduction to Management in the Hospitality Industry.
New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Preece, J. 2010. Sociability and usability in online communities: Determining and measuring
success. Behaviour and Information Technology, 20(5): 347-356.
- Preece, J. 1997. Human-computer interaction. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Rhodes, J.S. 1998. How to Gain Trust of your users. http://webword.com.moving/trust.html [23 November 2015].
- Ricca, F., Tonella, P., Girardi, C. and Pianta, E. 2004. An Empirical Study on Keyword-based Website Clustering. Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Workshop on Program Comprehension (IWPC'04), Italy, Bari, 24(26): 204-213.
- Rouse, M. 2008. Data analytics: Search Data Management. http://searchdatamanagement.techtarget.com/definition/data-analytics [19 November 2015].
- Rouse, M. 2005. Data analytics: Hotel Reservation Systems. http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/definition/usability [18 November 2015].
- Rugg, G. and Petre, M. 2007. Research Methods. Berkshire: Open University Press. Sathwara, S. 2010. Central Reservation System.
http://www.slideshare.net/Shantimani/central-reservation-system [18 March 2016].
- Schaub, K. 2008. Quantitative Methods: MBAC 6030. http://leeds- faculty.colorado.edu/schaub/ [01 June 2015].
- Schneider, G.P. and Perry, J.P. 2001. Electronic commerce. Boston, BA: Thomson Learning.
- Schulze, R. 1999. A step ahead. CEO Report Supplement: 18-20.
- Seffah, A., Donyaee, M., Kline, R.B. and Padda, H.K. 2006. Usability measurement and metrics: A consolidated model. http://psych.concordia.ca/fac/kline/library/sdkh06.pdf [12 November 2015].
- Shackel, B. 1981. The concept of usability. Proceedings of IBM software and information usability symposium. NY, Poughkeepsie, 15-18 September: 1-30.
- Shchiglik, C. and Barnes, S.J. 2004. Evaluating website quality in the hotel industry. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 44(3): 17-25.
- Shneiderman, B. 1998. Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human Computer Interaction. 3rd ed. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Sigala, M. 2003. Competing in the virtual market space: a strategic model for developing e- commerce in the hotel industry. International Journal of Hospitality Information Technology, 3(1): 43-60.
- Sigala, M. and Christou, E. 2002. The transformative power of e-commerce on hotel brands. Proceedings of the Annual European Council for Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (Euro-CHRIE) Conference, Cross-cultural Challenges in the Tourism Industry, Barcelona, Spain.
- Singh, A. and Wesson, J.L. 2009. Evaluation criteria for assessing the usability of ERP systems. Proceedings of the 2009 Annual Research Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT), South Africa, Vaal River, 13-14 October: 87-95.
- Smith, L. 2012. What is the Hospitality Industry? http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the- hospitality-industry.htm [01 September 2015].
- Smith Travel Research. 2012. Global hotel benchmark survey. http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/166/38976.html [12 March 2016].
- Spool, J. and Schroeder W. 2001. Testing websites: five users are nowhere near enough. CHI '01 extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems, New York: AMC Press.
- Srikanth, B. and Kutay, K. 2009. Usability Difference Between Single-Screen and multiscreen Booking Interfaces. Journal of Information Technology & Tourism, 11(10): 211-220.
- Stankovic II, C and Macedonia, S. 1999. Sampling methods and Sample size - Calculated for the smart Methodology. https://www.smartmethodology.org/documents/sampling/Sampling [25 March 2016].
- Stenbacka, C. 2001. Qualitative research requires quality concepts of its own. Management Decision systems, 39(7): 551-555.
- Steup, M. 2005. Epistemology. http://plto.standord.edu/entries/epistemology [02 August 2015].
- Stringam, B.B. and Gerdes, J.J. 2010. Are pictures worth a thousand room nights? Success factors for hotel website design. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 1(1): 30-49.
- Struwig, F.W. and Stead, G.B. 2004. Planning, designing and reporting research (2nd ed). Cape Town: Pearson Education.
- Sun Microsystems. 2001. Sun Usability Labs and Service: What is Usability Engineering? http://www.sun.com/usability/reading.html [15 March 2016].
- Szymanski, D.M., and Hise, R.T. 2000. E-Satisfaction. Journal of Retailing, 76(3): 309-322. Thurow, S. and Musica, N. 2009. When search meets usability. Berkeley: New Riders.
- Tu, Y.H. 2012. Destination Marketing on the Internet: The effect of advanced Features. http://iridescent.icograda.org/journal/journal59.php [01 January 2016].
- Tucker, H. 2010. Paradigms, Ontology, Epistemology and methodology/ Ethic. University of Otago: Tour417 Tourism Analysis. University of Otago.
- Ullah, I. 2010. Data Mining Algorithm and Medical Sciences. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology (IJCSIT), 2(6). http://airccse.org/journal/jcsit/1210ijcsit12.pdf [26 July 2015].
- Unirez by Pegasus, 2007. Making your business more successful. http://www.congrexpo.co.rs/files/Unirez%20Proposal.pdf [22 March 2016].
- Van der Merwe, R. and Bekker, J. 2003. Framework and methodology for evaluating e- commerce websites. Internet Research: electronic networking Application and Policy, 13(5): 330-341.
- Veal, A.J. 2006. Research Methods for Leisure and tourism: A practical Guide (3rd ed.). Essex: Prentice Hall.
- Venka, J.J. 2012. Advantages of newspaper ads. http://www.warriorforum.com/blogs/jaiganeshv/14582-advantages-newspaper-ads.html [05 April 2016].
- Viduka, D.V. 2011. Many Advantages of Online Hotel Bookings. http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Many-Advantages-of-Online-Hotel-Booking&id=5893573 [18 March 2015].
- Virzi, R.A. 1990. Streamlining the design process: running fewer subjects. Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 34th Annual Meeting. Santa Monica, CA: HFES. 291-294.
- Visser, E.B. and Weideman, M. 2011. An empirical study on website usability elements and how they affect search engine optimization. South Africa Journal of Information Management, 13(1): 428. http://www.sajim.co.za/index.php/SAJIM/article/view/428/459 [05 March 2016].
- Walliman, N. 2006. Your Research Project. 2nd ed. London: Sage Publishers.
- Watson, R.T., Berthon, P. Pitt, L.F. and Zinkhan, G. M. 2000. E-commerce and impressions. Milano: McGraw Hill.
- Wei, Q., Cheung, C., and Law, R. 2010. E-Business and E-Government (ICEE). Proceedings of the International conference on E-Business and E-Government. Guangzhou: China, 7-9 May.
- Wei, S., Ruys, H.F., Van Hoof, H.B. and Combrink, T. E. 2001. Users of the Internet in the global hotel industry. Journal of Business Research, 54: 235-241.
- Weideman, M. 2009. Website Visibility: The Theory and Practice of Improving Rankings. Oxford: Chandos Publishers.
- Weideman, M. 2006. Crawler and human usability of a government services website from a technology angle. Proceedings of The Community informatics for developing countries: Understanding and organizing for a participatory future information society. CD ROM. Cape Town. South Africa. [14 February 2016].
- Weiss, A. and Weideman, M. 2008. An empirical study on the importance of keyword use in webpage naming convention, in achieving top webpage rankings. Working Paper, Munich University of Applied Science, Munich. http://dk.cput.aac.za/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1051&context=inf [17 July 2015].
- Welman, J.C. and Kruger, S.J. 2002. Research methodology. 2nd Edition. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- Wolfinbarger, M. and Gilly, M.C. 2001. COMQ: Dimentionalizing, meaning and predicting quality of the e-tailing experience. MSL working paper series, no 02 - 100, Marketing Science Institute, Boston, MA.
- Woolrych, A. and Cockton, G. 2001. Why and when the five test users aren't enough. Proceedings of IHM-HCI 2001 Conference Toulouse, France, 2: 105-108.
- WordStream. 2009. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Best Practices: Eight ways to increase reach and exposure through higher natural search rankings (White Paper). www.wordstream.com/download/docs/wordstream-seo.pdf [15 January 2016].
- World Tourism Organisation, 1993. Global tourism Forecasts to the Year 2000 And Beyond. Madrid: WTO.
- Wright, K.B. 2005. Research Internet-based population: Advantages and disadvantages of online survey research, online questionnaire authoring software packages, and Web survey services. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 10(3): 11 http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue3/wright.html [05 April 2016].
- Wymbs, C. 2000. How e-commerce is transforming and internationalizing services industries. Journal of Service Marketing, 14(6): 463-478.
- Yahoo!. 2014. Definition of these Information Systems? https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131129210141AAfA51t [11June 2015].
- Yahoo!. 2013. Yahoo! Search content quality guidelines. http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/basics/basics-18.html [16 March 2016].
- Yang, J., Flynn, J. and Anderson, K. 2008. E-business Application in the Hospitality Industry - A Case Study. Communications of the International Information Management Association. Milledgeville: Georgia College and State University.
- Yea, Q., Law, R., Guc, B. and Chend, W. 2011. The influence of user-generated content on traveller behavior: An empirical investigation on the effects of e-word-of-mouth to hotel online bookings. Computers in Human Behavior, 27(2): 634-639.
- Yeung. A.T. and Law, R., 2006. Evaluation of Usability: A study of Hotel Websites in Hong Kong. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 30(4): 452-473.
- Yoon, M.G., Yoon, D.Y. and Yang, T.W. 2006. Impact of e-business on accommodation markets; Distribution of booking reservation in Korea. Journal of Tourism Management, 12(5): 253-260.
- Yu, S.F. 2008. Price perception of online ticket shoppers. Journal of Tourism Management, 14(2): 66-69.
- Zhong, W. and Zhao, G. 2008. Education Technology and Training. Proceedings of International Workshop on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, USA, 2: 15-17.
- Zhou, Z. 2004. E-commerce and information Technology in hospitality and Tourism. Thomson: Delmar Learning.
- Zuze, H. and Weideman. M. 2011. The crossover point between keyword rich website text and spamdexing. Poster in Proceedings of The Conference on World Wide Web Applications http://dk.cput.ac.za/td_cput [21 November 2012].