Postgraduate student success rate with free-form information searching.
Uwimana, I. 2017. Postgraduate student success rate with free-form information searching. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town. Graduated 28 March 2017.
The Internet has become a useful instrument in connecting users, regardless of their geographical locations, and has thus has made the world a small village where users can interact and search for information. Another aspect that has made the Internet popular amongst users, is its growing popularity as a global resource connecting millions of users surfing the Web daily, searching for and sharing information. A successful search for information depends on the user's ability to search effectively, and this ability is based on computer competency, knowledge of Information Technology (IT), perceptions of IT usage, and the demographics of the user. These user's characteristics tend to influence the overall user experience. Although the Internet is used by different groups of users to achieve different objectives of information search, not all of them achieve these objectives.
The main aim of this study was to determine the success rate of post-graduate students using free-form information searching to find academic reference materials. Following a pilot study which indicated that the search success rate amongst postgraduate students is low, the survey method was used to collect primary data for the entire research project. The pilot study confirmed the definition of the research problem. Data was collected from Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) postgraduate students. CPUT is the only university of technology in the Western Cape. A quantitative questionnaire, based on SurveyMonkey, was used for data collection and analysis. The findings of this study indicated that the postgraduate student search success rate has a lower than expected value when using free-form searching for academic information. Furthermore, although postgraduate students are moving away from the single-term-searching- syndrome, their success rate is still unacceptably low. However, this outcome is not surprising as the volume of Internet search is changing incrementally and this ever-growing information source has made it difficult to ascertain the quality and authenticity of information that is available to the users. Therefore, postgraduate students were found to be
wasting a lot of time on fruitless searching, which affected their progress.
- Abel, S. 2011. The role of Social Networking Sites in recruitment: Results of a quantitative study among German companies. Unpublished Masters Thesis, University of Twente, Netherlands.
- Aina, L.O. 2004. Library and Information Services Text for Africa. Ibadan: Third World Information Services Ltd.
- Anon. 2001. Step 1: Get listed in the directories. http://www.123-search- engineoptimization.com/directories.html [29 May 2014].
- Anon. 2010. Internet World Stats. www.internetworldstats.com/stats.html [21 October 2015]. Anon. 2011a. Online questionnaires. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_questionnaires [14
- Anon. 2011b. Novell GroupWise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell_GroupWise [17 June 2016].
- Association of College and Research Libraries. 2007. Information literacy competency standards for higher education. Chicago. III.: American Library Association. http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlstandards/Informationliteracycompetency.html [25 September 2016].
- Aula, A., Khan, R.M. & Guan, Z. 2010. How does search behaviour change as search becomes more difficult? Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Human factors in computing systems, USA, Atlanta, Georgia, 2010: 35-44.
- Bar-Ilan, J. 2002. Methods for measuring search engine performance over time. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 53(4):308-319.
- Beitzel, M. S., Jensen, C. E., Chowdhury, A., Frieder, O. & Grossman, D. 2007. Temporal Analysis of a Very Large Topically Categorized Web Query Log. Wiley InterScience, Department of Computer Science, Information Retrieval Laboratory, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. www.interscience.wiley.com [11 May 2016].
- Belkin, N.J., Cool, C., Kelly, D., Kim, G., Kim, J.Y., Lee, H.J., Muresan, G., Tang, M.C. & Yuan, X.J. 2004. Query Length in Interactive Information Retrieval. Information & Library Studies, USA, 28 July - 1 August 2004.
- Borgman, C.L., Smart, L.J., Millwood, K.A., Finley, J.R., Champeny, L., Gilliland, A.J. & Leazer, G.H. 2005. Comparing Faculty Information Seeking in Teaching and Research: Implications for the Design of Digital Libraries. Journal of the American Society for Information Science & Technology, 56(6):636-656. http://www.sandia.gov/itg/newsletter/dec00/article_information_foragers.html [27 November 2016].
- Botha, C.T & Simelane, S. 2007. The Influence of E-learning on Students Success Rate in Human Resource Development. Proceedings of the 11th Annual conference on WWW Applications. 5 - 7 September. South Africa, Johannesburg. http://www.zaw3.co.za [29 May 2016].
- Boys, J.A. & Irani, Z. 2004. An analysis of the barriers and problems to web infrastructure development experienced by small businesses. Information Technology Management, 11(2):189-207.
- Bridwell, T. 2011. Hourly analysis of navigational, transactional, and informational user- intents in search engines queries. Library student journal. http://www.librarystudentjournal.org/index.php/lsj/article/view/228 [30 September 2016].
- Bruce, H. 1999. Perceptions of the Internet: what people think when they search the Internet for information. Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy, 9(3):187- 199.
- Buckley, P. & Clark, D. 2007. The Rough Guide to The Internet. 13th edition. New York: Rough Guides Ltd.
- Burns, R.B. 2000. Introduction to research methods. London: Sage.
- Cain, J. 2008. Online Social Networking Issues Within Academia and Pharmacy Education.
American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 72(1):10.
- Cape Higher Education Consortium. n.d. Four universities. Unlimited possibilities.
www.chec.ac.za [30 June 2016].
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology. n.d. History.
http://www.cput.ac.za/institution/history.php [18 June 2016].
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology. n.d. Postgraduate-studies.
whttp://www.cput.ac.za/postgraduate-studies [20 February 2016].
- Carroll, D., Ng, E. & Birch, D. 2009. Retention and progression of postgraduate business students: an Australian perspective. Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e- learning, 24:495-508.
- Castles, J. 2004. Persistence and the adult learner: Factors affecting persistence in Open University students. Active Learning in Higher Education, 5(2):166−179.
- Chambers, R. 2005. Search engine strategies: a model to improve website visibility for SMME websites. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Choguill, C. L. 2005. The research design matrix: A tool for development planning research studies. Habitat International, 29(4): 615-626. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S019739750500038X [10 April 2016].
- Chun, T.Y. 1999. World Wide Web robots: an overview. Online & CD-ROM Review, 23(3):135-142.
- Cooper, D.R. & Schindler, P.S. 2003. Business research method. 8th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill Education Publishing.
- Corazzon, R. 2009. Theory and history of ontology: A resource guide for philosophers. http://www.formalontology.it [24 June 2016].
- Council on Higher Education. 2004. Higher Education in the First Decade of Democracy. Pretoria: Council on Higher Education.
- Council on Higher Education and higher Education Quality Committee. 2008. http://www.che.ac.za/heinsa/overview/ [20 June 2016].
- Crawford, J., de Vicente, A. & Clink, S. 2004. Use and awareness of electronic information services by students at Glasgow Caledonian University: a longitudinal study. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 36(3):101-117.
- Cutrell, E. & Guan, Z. 2007. What are you looking for? An eye-tracking study of information usage in Web search. Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems. 28 April - 3 May. USA, Califonia. http://www.chi2007.org [30 November 2016].
- Davis, G.R. 2007. Online transaction logs, verbalization and the historically disadvantaged student's information searching behaviour: the case of two South African Universities. Proceedings of IT and Research in African University Libraries: present and future trends, Pre-Ifla Satellite Meeting. 19 - 23 August. South Africa, Durban. http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla73 [20 March 2016].
- Davis, G.R. 2005. Information Retrieval Interaction and the Undergraduate Student at Historically Disadvantaged Higher Education Institutions in the Western Cape. Unpublished Masters Thesis, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town.
- De Jager, K. 1995. What is the use of the library? A search for appropriate measures with which to evaluate the functions of an academic library in South Africa in the 1990s. Unpublished Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, University of Cape Town, Cape Town.
- De Villiers, G.J. 2001. An evaluation of asynchronous web-based learning technologies. Unpublished Master's Thesis, University of Pretoria, Pretoria.
- Department of Higher Education and Training. 2009. Enrolment Planning - Workshop. http://che.ac.za [27 May 2015].
- Dewald, N.H. 2005. What do they tell their students? Business faculty acceptance of the Web and library databases for student research. Journal of Academic Librarianship, 31(3):209-215.
- Eastman, C.M. & Jansen, B.J. 2003. Coverage, relevance, and ranking: The impact of query operators on web search engine results. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 21(4):383-411.
- Edling, R.J. 2000. Information technology in the classroom: experiences and recommendations. Campus-Wide Information Systems, 17(1):10-15.
- Edwards, A. & Talbot, R. 1994. The hard pressed researcher: a research handbook for the caring professions. New York: Longman.
- Edwards, S.L. & Bruce, C.S. 2002. Reflective Internet searching: an action research model. The Learning Organization: An International Journal, 9(4):180-188.
- Ellison, N., Steinfeld, C. & Lampe, C. 2006. The benefits of Facebook ‘friends': Exploring the relationship between college students' use of online social networks and social capital. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 12(3).
- Ernest, D.J., Level, A.V. & Culbertson, M. 2005. Information-seeking behaviour for recreational activities and its implications for libraries. Reference Services Review, 33(1):88- 103. www.emeraldinsight.com [27 November 2015].
- Ford, N., Eaglestone, B., Madden, A. & Whittle, M. 2009. Web searching by the "general public": an individual differences perspective. Journal of Documentation, 65(4):632-667.
- Fox, W. & Bayat, M.S. 2010. A Guide to Managing Research. Cape Town: Juta & Co Ltd. Gash, S. 2000. Effective literature searching for research. 2nd edition. Aldershot: Gower.
- George, C., Bright, A., Hurlbert, T., Linke, E.C., St. Clair, G. & Stein, J. 2006. Scholarly use of information: graduate students' information seeking behaviour. Information Research, 11(4):272. http://InformationR.net/ir/11-4/paper272.html [30 November 2015].
- Google. n.d. Google basic search page. http://www.google.co.za [30 September 2016]. Gordon, M., & Pathak, P. 1999. Finding information on the World Wide Web: the retrieval
effectiveness of search engines. Information Processing and Management, 35(2):141-180. Green, D. 2000. The evolution of Web searching. Online Information Review, 24(2):124-137.
- Griffiths, J.R. & Brophy, P. 2002. Students searching behaviour in the JISC information environment. http://www.ariadne.ac.uk [9 May 2016].
- Hansen, D.L., Derry, H.A., Resnick, P.J. & Richardson, C.R. 2003. Adolescents Searching for Health Information on the Internet: An Observational Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 5(4). http://www.jmir.org [16 April 2016].
- Harmon, S.W. & Jones, M.G. 1999. The five Levels of Web Use in Education: Factors To Consider in Planning Online Courses. Educational Technology, 39:28-32.
- Hassan, A., Jones, R. & Klinker, K.L. 2010. Beyond DCG: user behaviour as a predictor of a successful search. Proceedings of the third ACM international conference on Web search and data mining. New York, USA. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/rosie/www/papers/wsdm2010-goalsuccess.pdf [28 June 2016].
- Henning, E., Van Rensburg, W. & Smit, B. 2004. Finding your way in qualitative research. Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Holscher, C & Strube, G. 2000. Web search behaviour of Internet experts and newbies. Computer Networks, 33:337-346.
- Hubbard, J. 2006. Indexing the Internet. http://www.tk421.net/essays/babel.html [29 May 2016].
- Ibegwam, A. 2004. Internet access and usage by students of the College of Medicine, University of Lagos. The Information Technologist, 1(1&2):81-87.
- Institute of Higher Education. 2010. Academic Ranking of World Universities. http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=africa [10 August 2015].
- Jackson, L.S. 2009. Research methods and statistics - a critical thinking approach. 2nd edition. Wadsworth: Cengage Learning.
- Jagboro, K.O. 2003. A Case study of internet usage in Nigerian universities: a case study of Obafemi Awolowo University, ile-ife Nigeria. http://www.firstmonday.org/issues8_2/ [10 November 2015].
- Jancey, J. & Burns, S. 2013. Institutional factors and the postgraduate student experience. Quality Assurance in Education, 21(3):311-322. www.emeraldinsight.com [14 April 2015].
- Jansen, B.J., Pooch, U. 2001. A review of Web searching studies and a framework for future research. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 52(3):244.
- Jian, Y., Wu, Z., Zhan, Z. & Xu, L. 2011. A research of the Internet Based on Web Information Extraction and Data Fusion. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6537:195-206. http://www.springerlink.com/content/80178120x335m021/ [30 September 2015].
- Joachims, T. 2002. Optimizing Search Engines Using Click through Data. Proceedings of the eighth ACM SIGKDD international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining. 23 - 26 July. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=775067 [30 September 2015].
- Johnson, R.B. & Onwuegbuzie, A.J. 2004. Mixed methods research: a research paradigm whose time has come. Educational Researcher, 33(7): 14-26. http://edr.sagepub.com/content/33/7/14.abstract [10 April 2016].
- Kakai, J.M., Ikoja-Odongo, R., & Kigongo-Bukenya, I.M.N. 2004. A study of the information seeking behaviour of undergraduate students of Makerere University, Uganda. World Libraries, 14 (1). http://www.worlib.org/vol14no1/print/kakai_print.html [23 September 2015].
- Kaplan, A.M., Haenelein, M. 2010. Users of the world unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media. Business Horizons, 53:59-68.
- Kearney, M.L. 2008. The role of Postgraduate education in Research systems. Proceedings of UNESCO/DCU Workshop on Trends in Post -Graduate education, 5 - 7 March. Ireland: Dublin City. http://portal.unesco.org/education/es/files/55833/12018845045EgginsREV.pdf/EgginsREV.p df [11 June 2016].
- Kitchenham, B.A. & Pfleeger, S.L. 2002a. Principles of Survey Research Part 2: Designing a Survey., 27(1): 18-20.
- Kitchenham, B.A. & Pfleeger, S.L. 2002b. Principles of Survey Research Part 3: Constructing a Survey Instrument. Software Engineering Notes, 27(2): 20-24.
- Kitchenham, B.A. & Pfleeger, S.L. 2002c. Principles of Survey Research Part 4: Questionnaire Evaluation. Software Engineering Notes, 27(3): 20-23.
- Kobayashi, M. & Takeda, K. 2000. Information retrieval on the Web. ACM Computing Surveys, 32(2):144-173.
- Kritzinger, W.T. 2006. The effect webpage body keyword location has on ranking in search engine results: an empirical study. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Kuhlthau, C.C. 2004. Seeking Meaning: A Process Approach to Library and Information Services. 2nd edition. Cape Town: Westport Libraries Unlimited.
- Kwak, H., Changhyun, L., Hosung, P. & Moon, S. 2010. What is Twitter, a social network or a news media? http://an.kaist.ac.kr/traces/WWW2010.html [30 September 2015].
- Laing, R. & Powling, I. 2002. A digital guide: Internet facts. London: Starfire.
- Lallimo, J. Lakkala, M. & Paavola, S. 2004. How to Promote Students' Information Seeking.
http://www.eun.org/insightpdf/ [30 November 2015]. 92
- Lancaster, F.W. 1978. Information retrieval systems: characteristics, testing and evaluation. New York: John Wiley.
- Large, A., Tedd, L.A., Hartley, R.J. 1999. Information seeking in the online age: principles and practice. London: Bowker-Saur.
- Leedy, P.D. & Ormrod, J.E. 2005. Practical research: Planning and design. 8th international edition. Upper Saddle River NJ: Pearson Education.
- Leedy, D.P. & Ormord, J. E. 2010. Practical Research Planning and Design. 9th Edition. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.
- Leiner, B.M., Cerf, V.G., Clark, D.D., Kahn, R.E., Kleinrock, L., Lynch, D.C., Postel, J., Roberts, L.G. & Wolff, S. 2000. A brief history of the Internet. http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.html [24 November 2015].
- Lu, Y., Meng, W., Shu, L., Yu, C., & Liu, K.L. 2005. Evaluation of Results Merging Strategies for Metasearch Engines. Lectures Notes in Computer Science, 3806:53-66. http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17414546 [29 May 2016].
- Mamma. n.d. Mamma.com meta-search engine homepage. http://www.mamma.com [30 September 2014].
- Manning, C.D., Raghavan, P. & Schütze, H. 2008. Introduction to information retrieval. Cambridge: University Press.
- Manyika, S. & Szanton, D.L. 2001. PhD Programs in African Universities: Current Status and future Prospects. A Report to the Rockefeller Foundation. Berkley: University of California, Berkley.
- Marchionini, G. 1995. Information seeking in electronic environments. Cambridge: University Press.
- Martzoukou, K. 2008. Students' Attitudes Towards Web Search Engines - Increasing Appreciation of Sophisticated Search Strategies. International Journal of Libraries and Information Services, 58(3):137-210. http://www.librijournal.org/2008-3toc.html [19 May 2016].
- Maxwell, J.A. 1996. Qualitative research design: an interactive approach. California: Sage.
- Mbikiwa, F.N. 2005. Search engine exclusion policies: implications on indexing e-commerce websites. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape
- McCarthy, B. 2006. Qualitative Before Quantitative Research. Techniques, Research, Product Management. http://www.userdriven.org/blog/2008/4/13/qualitative-before- quantitativeresearch.html [05 May 2016].
- Mutula, S.M. 2009. Building Trust in Supervisor-Supervisee Relationship: Case Study of East and Southern Africa. Proceedings of the DLIS 10th Annual conference on the Research Challenges and Opportunities in Information Studies in a Changing National and Global Environment. South Africa, Kwazulu Natal, 4 - 6 March:80-94.
- Nair, P.A.P. & Pillay, J. 2004. Exploring the validity of the continuous assessment strategy in higher education institutions. South African Journal of Higher Education, 18(2):302−312.
- Nel, J.P. & Com, D. 2007. Epistemology Vs Ontology.
Mentornet. http://www.mentornet.co.za/files/documents/EPISTEMOLOGYVSONTOLOGY.p df [24 July 2015].
- Neuman, L.W. 2006. Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. 6th edition. Boston: Pearson.
- New Mexico State University Library. 2002. Using the Internet for academic research: Introduction. http://lib.nmsu.edu/ital/research.html [20 June 2016].
- Nkomo, N. 2009. A comparative analysis of the web information seeking behaviour of students and staff at the University of Zululand and the Durban University of Technology. Unpublished Master's Thesis, University of Zululand, Durban.
- O'Leary, Z. 2004. The Essential Guide to Doing Research. London: Sage Publications. Olsen, W. 2004. Triangulation in Social Research: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods Can
Really Be Mixed. http://www.ccsr.ac.uk [20 April 2015].
- Oppenheim, C., Morris, A. & McKnight, C. 2000. The evaluation of WWW search engines.
Journal of Documentation, 56(2):190-211.
- Ovchenkova, E.A. 2011. On the efficient methods for searching for scientific information on the internet and the rights of users for disposal of the obtained data. Scientific and Technical Information Process, 38(2):83-92. http://www.springerlink.com/content/862vr66u06707x2j/ [30 September 2016].
- Palmquist, R. A., & Kim, K. S. 2000. Cognitive style and online database search experience as predictors of web search performance. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 51, 558-566.
- Perez, S.K. & Anthony, K.S. 1995. Technical Report for IRDS Conceptual Schema, Part 1: Conceptual Schema for IRDS, Part 2: Modeling Language Analysis, American National Standards Institute, New York, NY.
- Pettigrew, K.E., Fidel, R. & Bruce, H. 2001. Conceptual frameworks in information behaviour. Annual Review of Information Science & Technology, 35(1): 43-78.
- Postgraduate Research. 2009. Wikipedia [Online]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postgraduate_research [8 August 2014].
- Ranaweera, P. 2010. Information Literacy Programmes Conducted by the Universities in Sri Lanka. Journal of the University Librarians Association of Sri Lanka, 14(1):61-75. http://sljol.info/sljol/index.php/JULA/article/view/2688 [30 September 2015].
- Reitz, J.M. 2002. ODLS: online dictionary of library and information science. http://www.wcsu.edu/library/odlis.html [10 July 2016].
- Rogers, E.M., 1987. Progress, problems and prospects for network research: investigating relationships in the age of electronic communication technologies. Social Networks, 9:285- 310.
- Ross, N.C.M. & Wolfram, D. 2000. End user searching on the Internet: an analysis of term pair topics submitted to the Excite search engine. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 51(10):949-958.
- Rumsey, S. 2004. How to find Information a guide for researchers. London: Open University Press.
- Sangster, A. 1995. World-Wide Web - What Can it Do for Education? Active Learning, 2:3-8. Sawyer, A. 2006. Renewal of the African University. Invitation to a Discussion on the
Development of African Universities. Accra: Association of African Universities. Schneider, G.P. & Evans, J. 2007. New Perspectives on The Internet. 6th edition. UnitedStates: Thomson Course Technology.
- Scholtz, B. 2007. International Experience in Research Capacity Development. Key Note Address Delivered at the Postgraduate Research Indaba. University of South Africa, 20-22 February.
- Serjeant, J. 2004. Is Google God? No, just a cultural phenomenon. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com [09 May 2016].
- Shenton, A.K. & Dixon, P. 2003. Debates and paradoxes surrounding the use of qualitative methods. Education for Information, 22 (1):1-12.
- Singh, A.M. 2002. The Internet - Strategy for optimum utilization in South Africa. South African Journal of Information Management, 4(1). http://www.sabinet.co.za/abstracts/info/info_v4_n1_a4.html [30 September 2015].
- Spink, A., Wolfram, D., Jansen, M.B.J., & Saracevic, T. 2001. Searching the Web: The public and their queries. Journal of the America Society for Information Science and Technology, 52(3):226-234.
- Spink, A. & Xu, J.L. 2000. Selected results from a large study of Web searching: the Excite study. Information Research, 6(1). http://informationr.net/ir/6-1/paper90.html [29 May 2016].
- Stacey, A. & Nixon, C. 2003. Getting better search results: a question of query formulation. Internet Librarian International Collected Presentations, 303-309.
- Stake, R.E. 2005. Qualitative case studies. In Denzin, N.K. & Lincoln. Y.S. (eds). The Sage handbook of qualitative research. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Stamou, S.,Krikos, V., Kokosis, P., Ntoulas, A. & Christodoulakis, D. 2005. Web Directory Construction Using Lexical Chains. Natural Language Processing and Information Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3513:87-103. http://www.springerlink.com/content/vwxvfwpgjafmwr0w/ [30 September 2015].
- Steup, M. 2010. Epistemology. http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/spr2010/entries/epistemology/ [12 August 2015].
- Sullivan, D. 2003. Searches per day. http://searchenginewatch.com/reports/article.php/2156461 [11 May 2015].
- Taylor, D. & Proctor, M. 2005. The Literature Review: A few tips on conducting it. http://www.utoronto.ca/writing/pdf/litrev.pdf [27 November 2015].
- Tenopir, C., Hitchcock, B. & Pillow, A. 2003. Use and users of electronic library resources: an overview and analysis of recent research studies. Washington, D.C.: Council on Library and Information Resources. http://www.clir.orglpubs/reports/pubI20/pubI20.pdf [13 May 2016].
- Teo, T. 2010. A path analysis of pre-service teachers' attitude to computer use: applying and extending the technology acceptance model in an educational context. Interactive Learning Environments, 18(1):65-79.
- Thomas, R.M. 2003. Blending Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods in Theses and Dissertations. Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press.
- Thompson, N., Lewis, S., Brennan, P. & Robinson, J. 2010. Information Literacy: are final- year medical radiation science students on the pathway to success? Journal of Allied Health, 39(3):83E-89E.
- Thurow, S. 2003. Search engine visibility. Indianapolis, IN: New Riders Press.
- Toncich, D. 2006. Key Factors in Postgraduate Research - A Guide for Students. Australia:
Doctortee.net. http://www.doctortee.net/index.html [16 June 2015].
- Tu, Y. W., Shih, M. and Tsai, C. C. 2007. Eight graders' web searching strategies and outcomes: The role of task types, web experiences and epistemological beliefs. Computer and Educations, 51(2008):1142-1153. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131507001388 [15 April 2016].
- Uwimana, I., Weideman, M. & Richards, M. 2010. The use of academic databases by postgraduate students. Proceedings of the 12th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications. Durban, South Africa, 21 - 23 September. http://web-visibility.co.za/website- visibility-digital-library-seo/ [8 November 2016].
- Velez, J.L. & Xiang, Z. 2011. Impact of Women's Query Formulation on Searching Satisfaction: Implications for Online Marketing in Hospitality and Tourism. Proceedings of the 16th Graduate students Research Conference. 6 - 8 January. Houston, Texas. http://scholarworks.umass.edu/gradconf_hospitality/2011/ [30 September 2015].
- Visser, E.B. 2006. Search engine optimisation elements effect on website visibility: the Western Cape real estate SMME sector. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Voorbij, H.J. 1999. Searching scientific information on the Internet: a Dutch academic user survey. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 50(7):604-605.
- Wagner, C., Cheung, K.S.K., Rachael, K.F. & Bottcher, S. 2006. Building semantic Webs for e-Government with Wiki technology. Electronic Government, 3(1):36-55.
- Wallace, R.M., Kupperman, J., Krajcik, J. 2000. Science on the Web: students online in a sixth-grade classroom. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 9(1):75.
- Walliman, N. 2005. Your Research Project. 2nd edition. London: Sage Publications.
- Watts, D.J. 2007. A twenty-first century science. International weekly journal of Science, Nature 445:489. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v445/n7127/full/445489a.html [15 June 2016].
- Weideman, M. 2001. Internet searching as a study aid for information technology and information systems learners at a tertiary level. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, University of Cape Town, Cape Town.
- Weideman, M. 2009. Website Visibility: The Theory and Practice of Improving Rankings. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.
- Weideman, M. 2010. Search engine query generation for effective retrieval of known academic publications. Proceedings of the 12th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications. Durban, South Africa, 21 - 23 September. http://web-visibility.co.za/website- visibility-digital-library-seo/ [29 September 2016].
- Weideman, M. & Strümpfer, C. 2004. The Effect of Search Engine Keyword Choice and Demographic Features on Internet Searching Success. Information Technology and Libraries, 23(2):58-65. http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/ [21 September 2016].
- Weideman, M. & Kritzinger, W. 2003. Search Engine Information Retrieval: Empirical Research On The Usage Of Metatags To Enhance website Visibility And Ranking Of E- Commerce websites. Proceedings of The 7th World Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics. Orlando, Florida, USA, 28 - 30 July, (6): 231-236. http://web- visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/ [20 September 2016].
- Welman, C., Kruger, F. & Mitchell, B. 2007. Research methodology. 3rd edition. Cape Town: Oxford University.
- Welman, J. C., Kruger, S. J. 2005. Research Methodology for the Business and Administrative Sciences. 3rd edition. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- Whitfield, C. 2008. Information gathering behaviour among academic researchers in different disciplines: ancient historians and research chemists. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Thames Valley University, London.
- Wikipedia. 2011. Usability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usability [11 June 2016].
- Wilson, T. D. 2000. Human Information behaviour. Special issue on Information Science
Research, l3(2):49-55. http://inform.nu/Articles/Vol3/v3n2p49-56.pdf [27 November 2015]. Wisniewski, J. 2010. Improving the Search Experience With Site Search. Information Today
Inc. www.fso-online.com [28 September 2015].
- Wolfram, D., Wang, P. & Zhang, J. 2009. Identifying Web search session patterns using cluster analysis: A comparison of three search environments. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 60(5):896-910.
- World Bank. 1980. World Bank Development Report. New York: Oxford University Press. Xie, H. 2004. Online IR system evaluation: online database versus Web search engines.
Online Information Review, 28(3):211-219.
- Xue, X.B., Zhou, Z.H. & Zhang, Z.M. 2008. Improving Web search using image snippets.
ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT), 8(21).
- Yahoo!. n.d. Yahoo! Web directory homepage. http://www.yahoo.com [30 September 2011].
- Zhang, J. & Cheung, C. 2003. Meta-search-engine feature analysis. Online Information Review, 27(6):433-441.
- Zhang, J. & Dimitroff, A. 2005. The impact of metadata implementation on webpage visibility in search engine results (Part II). Information Processing and Management, 41:691-715.
- Zhu, Y.Q., Chen, L.Y., Chen, H.G. & Chern, C.C. 2011. How does Internet Information seeking help academic performance? - The moderating and mediating roles of academic self-efficacy. Computer & Education, 57(4):2476-2484. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131511001540 [30 September 2015].