Parallel search engine optimisation and pay-per-click
campaigns: A comparison of cost per acquisition
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M.
South African Journal of Information Management
Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M. 2017. Parallel search engine optimisation and pay-per-click campaigns: A comparison of cost per acquisition. South African Journal of Information
Management 19(1), a820. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajim.v19i1.820
It is imperative that commercial websites should rank highly in search engine result pages because these provide the main entry point to paying customers. There are two main methods to achieve high rankings: search engine optimisation (SEO) and pay-per-click (PPC) systems. Both require a financial investment - SEO mainly at the beginning, and PPC spread over time in regular amounts. If marketing budgets are applied in the wrong area, this could lead to losses and possibly financial ruin.
The objective of this research was to investigate, using three real-world case studies, the actual expenditure on and income from both SEO and PPC systems. These figures were then compared, and specifically, the cost per acquisition (CPA) was used to decide which system yielded the best results.
Three diverse websites were chosen, and analytics data for all three were compared over a 3-month period. Calculations were performed to reduce the figures to single ratios, to make comparisons between them possible.
Some of the resultant ratios varied widely between websites. However, the CPA was shown to be on average 52.1 times lower for SEO than for PPC systems.
It was concluded that SEO should be the marketing system of preference for e-commerce-based websites. However, there are cases where PPC would yield better results - when instant traffic is required, and when a large initial expenditure is not possible..
- Baidya, M.K. & Basu, P., 2011, 'Allocation of budget on marketing efforts: Aneconometric approach in India', Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics 23(4), 501-512. https://doi.org/10.1108/13555851111165057
- Broilo, P.L., Espartel, L.B. & Basso, K., 2016, 'Pre-purchase information search: Too many sources to choose', Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing 10(3),193-211. https://doi.org/10.1108/JRIM-07-2015-0048
- Clarke, T.B. & Clarke, I., 2014, 'A competitive and experiential assignment in search engine optimisation strategy', Marketing Education Review 24(1), 25-30. https://doi.org/10.2753/MER1052-8008240104
- Clarke, T.B. & Jansen, B.J., 2017, 'Conversion potential: A metric for evaluating search engine advertising Performance', Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing 11(2). https://doi.org/10.1108/JRIM-07-2016-0073
- Druckenmiller, G., 2016, 'How to cut cost per acquisition in half and drive more leads without increasing budget', Webinar Presented by Evariant, 03 July 2016, Farmington, CT, Businesswire, bizwire.c67271458.
- Ford, R.A.M.B.J., 1994, 'Relationship between marketing planning and annual budgeting', Marketing Intelligence & Planning 12(1), 22-28. https://doi.org/ 10.1108/02634509410052621
- Google Analytics, 2015, 'Making sponsored search ads work better', Strategic Direction 31(1), 12-14. https://doi.org/10.1108/SD-10-2014-0155
- Google Analytics, 2016, Google Analytics Report, viewed 16 May 2017, from https://www.google.com/analytics
- Gudivada, V.N., Rao, D. & Paris, J., 2015, 'Understanding search-engine optimization',Computer 162(15), 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1109/MC.2015.297
- Gupta, A. & Mateen, A., 2014, 'Exploring the factors affecting sponsored search ad performance', Marketing Intelligence & Planning 32(5), 586-599. https://doi.org/10.1108/MIP-05-2013-0083
- Huck, L., Hamner, K. & Carpenter, C., 2016, How Google's new desktop SERP layout has impacted marketers, viewed 2 December 2016, from http://blog.360i.com/search-marketing/googles-new-desktop-serp-layout-impacted-marketers
- Jang, W., Lee, E. & Oh, S.G., 2016, 'Search engine optimization', Library Hi Tech 34(2),197-206. https://doi.org/10.1108/LHT-02-2016-0014
- Kotler, P., Kartajaya, H. & Setiawan, I., 2010, Marketing 3.0: From products to customers to the human spirit, John Wiley, Hoboken, NJ.
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M., 2013, 'Search engine optimization and pay-per-click marketing strategies', Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce 23(3), 273-286. https://doi.org/10.1080/10919392.2013.808124
- Kritzinger, W.T. & Weideman, M., 2015, 'Comparative case study on website traffic generated by search engine optimisation and a pay-per-click campaign, versus marketing expenditure', South African Journal of Information Management 17(1), Art. #651, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajim.v17i1.651
- Luh, C.J., Yang, S.A. & Huang, T.L.D., 2016, 'Estimating Google's search engine ranking function from a search engine optimization perspective', Online Information Review 40(2), 239-255. https://doi.org/10.1108/OIR-04-2015-0112
- McGee, M., 2016, Confirmed: Google to stop showing ads on the right side of desktop search results worldwide, viewed 05 December 2016, from http://searchengineland.com/google-no-ads-right-side-of-desktop-search-results-242997
- Miller, M., 2011., The ultimate web marketing guide, Pearson Education, Indianapolis,IN.
- Nabout, N.A., 2015, 'A novel approach for bidding on keywords in newly set-up search advertising campaigns', European Journal of Marketing 49(5/6), 668-691. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-08-2013-0424
- Neethling, R., 2008, 'User profiles for preferences of search engine optimisation versus paid placement', Unpublished Master's Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Olbrich, R. & Schultz, C.D., 2014, 'Multichannel advertising: Does print advertising affect search engine advertising?', European Journal of Marketing 48(9/10),1731-1756. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-10-2012-0569
- Panda, T.K., 2013, 'Search engine marketing: Does the knowledge discovery process help Online retailers?', The IUP Journal of Knowledge Management XI(3), 56-66.
- Pavel, K., Pauwels, K. & Gupta, S., 2016, 'Do display ads influence search? Attribution and dynamics in online advertising', International Journal of Research in Marketing 33(3), 475-490. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2015.09.007
- Pfeifer, P.E., 2005, 'The optimal ratio of acquisition and retention costs', Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing 13(2), 179-188. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jt.5740142
- PRN, 2015, 'fishbat COO Scott Darrohn explains 4 reasons why companies should combine PPC with SEO', PR Newswire, TRIBECA, NY 2015 /PRNewswire-iReach/
- PRN, 2016, 'Caroff communications reveals 5 ways PPC and SEO are used to enhance each other', PRNewswire, San Diego.
- Sullivan, D., 2016, The periodic table of SEO success factors, SearchEngineLand, viewed 01 December 2016, from http://searchengineland.com/seotable/download-periodic-table-of-seo
- Weideman, M., 2009, Website visibility: The theory and practice of improving rankings, Chandos Publishers, Oxford.
- Weideman, M., 2015, 'ETD visibility: A study on the exposure of Indian ETDs to the Google Scholar crawler', Proceedings of the 18th International Symposium on Theses and Dissertations, New Delhi, India, November 2015.
- Yang, Y., Zhang, J., Qin, R., Li, J. & Wang, F., 2012, 'A budget optimization framework for search advertisements across markets', IEEE Transaction on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 42(5), 1141-1151. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCA.2011.2172418
- Zuze, H. & Weideman, M, 2013, 'Keyword stuffing and the big three search engines', Online Information Review 37(2), 268-286, viewed 11 December 2016, from http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/OIR-11-2011-0193