The role of anchor text in SMME websites: higher visibility?
Swart, A.J. & Weideman, M.
Swart, A.J. & Weideman, M. 2007. The role of anchor text in SMME websites: higher visibility? ICT Research Forum No. 3, 243-250. Faculty of Informatics and Design, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town. ISSN: 1814-9812.
The purpose of this research is to examine the role that anchor text plays in SMME websites, and to see if it can increase website visibility to search engines. By considering past and present research, the author attempts to answer this question. The Internet consists of a huge collection of information and the more visible a website, the more likely it will be found by the appropriate users. The author also inspects Google and the role anchor text plays in this major search engine. It is found that anchor text can definitely increase website visibility, but it must be used in the correct way and certain steps need to be taken to effectively use anchor text.
- Brin, S., & Page, L. (i 998). The anatomy of a large-scale hypertextual web search engine. In Proceedings of the seventh international World Wide Web conference (pp. 107-117). Amsterdam: Elsevier. Retrieved 27 April, 2006 from http://www7.scu.edu.au/programme/fullpapers/1921 /coml 921 .htm
- Brooks, T.A. (2004). The nature of meaning in the Aqe of Gooq!e. Information Research, 9(3) paper 180. Retrieved 1 1 April, 2006 from http ://lnformationR.net/ir/9-3/paper180 .html
- Chambers, R. (2005). Search engine strategies: A model to improve website visibility for SMME websites. Unpublished PhD thesis, Cape Town University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Cheng, H.l., & Patterson, P.E. (2006). Iconic hyperlinks on e-commerce websites. Applied Ergonomics, 38(1), 65-70.
- Craswell, Nick, & Hawking, David. (2001). Effective Site Finding using Link Anchor Information. CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences. SIGIR'OI, 250-257.
- Eiron, N., & McCurley, K.S. (2003). Analysis of anchor text for web search. In Proceedings of the 26th Annual International 673 Information Retrieval (pp. 459-460). ACM Press, 2003.
- George, David. (2005). The ABC ofSEO. SA: Lulu Press.
- Jantsch, John. (2005). The Most Common Small Business Web Site Traffic Killers. Retrieved 12 April, 2006 from http://www.mediarocket.com/trafficbuilding/27206.php
- Park, E., Ra, D., & Jang, M. (2004). Techniques for improving web retrieval effectives. Information Processing and Management, 41 (2005), 1207-1223.
- Roy, Sumantra. (2003). How to Best Link Individual Pages on a Web Site Internal. Retrieved 14 April, 2006 from http://www.masternewmedia.org/2003/02/07/how_to_best_Iink_individual_p ages_on_a_web_site_internal.htm
- Sullivan, D. (2003). Google dance sy.ndrpme strikes again. Search Engine Watch. Retrieved 1 1 April, 2006 from http ://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3114531
- Thelwall, Mike. (2003). What is this link doing here? Beginning a finegrained process of identifying ceasons for mademic hyperlink creation. Information Research, 8(3), paper no. 151. Retrieved 23 March, 2006 from http://informationr.net/ir/B-3/paper151 .html
- Web Server Survey. (n.d.). conducted by netcraft.com. April, 2006. Retrieved 23 March, 2006 from http://news.netcrafi.com/archives/2006/04/06/april_2006_web_server_survey.html
- Weideman, M. (2003). Payment for increasing website exposure in search engine resuls — technical and ethical issues. In Proceedings of the 5th Annual Conference on WWW Applications (WWW2003). Durban, South Africa.
- Weiss, Steve. (2000). Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity.
- USA: New Riders Publishing.
- Zhang, D, & Dong, Y. (2000). An efficient algorithm to rank Web resources. Computer Networks, 33, 449455.