Search engine optimisation: effective keyword usage.
Swart, M.G. & Weideman, M.
Swart, M.G. & Weideman, M. 2007. Search engine optimisation: effective keyword usage. ICT Research Forum No. 3, 236-242. Faculty of Informatics and Design, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town. ISSN: 1814-9812.
The effective use of keywords is important to ensure that a website receives a good ranking from a search engine. This has lead research to be done on the location, density, and a few more ways in which the use of keywords are important. Looking at location, the top part of a webpage or paragraph is where the most relevant keywords are to be used, as research has shown that this is where search engines focus on. When referring to density, the optimal amount of keywords that are to be used in the title of a website is three, and the amount of keywords used in the body text is five. The amount of keyword groupings used in a domain name has been found to be of little importance, as there are other more important things that need to be looked at.
- Chambers, R. (2005), Search Engine Strategies: A model to improve website visibility for SMM websites, Unpublished Masters Thesis, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town.
- Flywebmaster.com. (2006), "Keyword Usage and SEO - using keywords for Search Optimisation", available at: www.flywebmaster.com/promoti on/seo/keyword.php (accessed 22 August).
- George, D. (2005), The ABC of SEO: Search Engine Optimization Strategies, Lulu Press.
- Green, D. (2000), "The evolution of Web searching", Online Information Review, Vol 24 No. 2, pp. 124-137.
- Guenther, K. (1999), Publicity through better Web site design, Computers in Libraries.
- Profit Gate Inc. (2006), "Web Designer Definitions", available at: www.best-web-design.com/ definitions.html (accessed 22 August).
- Serious Profits Connection, (2006), "How to use your Keywords - Keyword Phrases", available at: www.seriousprofits.net/webposit ioning/how_to_use_keywords.ht ml (accessed 22 August).
- Thurow, S. (2002), Search Engine Visibility, New Riders Publishing.
- TrendMetrix Software, (2006),
- "Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) Glossary", available at: www.trendmx.com/help/website -promotion-glossary.aspx (accessed 22 August).
- Zhang, J. and Dimitroff, A. (2004), "The impact of webpage content characteristics on webpage visibility in search engine results", Information Processing and Management, Vol 41 , pp. 665-690.