Towards an investigation of trends in local search and implications for a national search portal.
Moore, D.R. & Weideman, M.
Moore, D.R. & Weideman, M. 2006. Towards an investigation of trends in local search and implications for a national search portal. ICT Research Forum No. 2, 455-467. Faculty of Informatics and Design, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town. ISBN: 978-0-620-40951-3.
It has become commonplace for search engines and web directories to combine and use additional sources to provide a comprehensive service in the form of Web portals. A fairly recent development in search services, currently referred to as local search, focuses on providing relevant search results for a specific geographic region. Ananzi, a South African search portal, can be viewed as a form of local search because its site directory only includes websites with South African content. The purpose of this paper is to point out the value of local search and highlight global developments in local search services. This paper also introduces different types of Web portals and focuses on how horizontal Web portals operate. Success factors for local search and Web portals will be discussed in order to identify possible areas of growth for Ananzi. The key points discussed include the value of structured, relevant content for local search listings and the need for improved personalisation and understanding of user queries.
- Ananzi. 2005a. Add your site to Ananzi. [Online]. Available WWW:http://wuw.ananzi.co.za/Add site/. [Accessed 16 June 20051.
- Ananzi. 2005b. How does Ananzi work. [Online]. Available WWW:http://www.ananzi.co.zaffaq/works.html. [Accessed 16 June 2005].
- Ananzi. 2005c. About us. [Online]. Available WWW:http://www.ananzi.co.za/About us]. [Accessed 16 June 2005].
- Augustyniak, R. H., Aguero, D. B., Finley, A. M. 2005. The IP's guide to the galaxy of portal planning. Part 1 drafting a portal vision. Online Information Review 29,
- Beal, A. 2004. What lies ahead for local search engine technology? [Online]. Available WWN http://www.webpronews.com/ebusiness/seo/wpn- 420040601WhatLiesAheadForLocalSearchEnqineTechnoloqy.html. [Accessed 12 September 2005].
- Green, D. 2000. The evolution of Web searching. Online Information Review 24
- Green, D. 1998. First through the portal: the business potential of highly trafficked Websites. Business Information Review 15 (3):178- 184.
- Miller, R. 2005. Local search brings results home. EContent 28 (5):30.
- Pienaar, H. 2003. Design and development of an academic portal. Libri 53:118129.
- Plosker, G. 2004. Search engine marketing meets local search. Online 28
- Rao, S. S. 2001. Portal proliferation: an Indian scenario. New Library World 102
- Sanger, J. 2005. Rebirth of the city portal. [Online]. Available WWW: http://www.clickz.com/experts/search/local search/articIe.php/3548636. [Accessed 20 September 2005].
- Sherman, C. 2005. Google Power: Unleashing the full power of Google. New York: McGraw-Hill/Osborne.
- Singh, A. M. 2002. The Internet - strategies for optimal utilization in South Africa. South African Journal of Information Management 4 (1). [Online Journal]. Available WWW:http://www.saiim.co.za/default.asD?to=peer4v014nr1. [Accessed 1 September 2005].
- Smith, A. G. 2003. Think local, search global. Comparing search engines for searching geographically specific information. Online Information Review 27
- Sterling, G. 2004. Local search: The hybrid future. [Online]. Available WWW: http://searchenainewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3296721. [Accessed 9 September 2005].
- Sullivan, D. 2003a. Local Search Part 1: New Developments in Local Search & Moves by Overture. [Online]. Available WWW: http://searchenqinewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3091341. [Accessed 9 September 2005].
- Sullivan, D. 2003b. Local Search Part 4: Major Search Engines On Yellow Pages. [Online]. Available WWW: http://searchenainewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3106581. [Accessed 9 September 2005].
- Sullivan, D. 2003c. Local Search Part 5: CitiSearch Brings Local To Searchers & Merchants. Available nrww: http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3111681. [Accessed 9 September 2005].
- Tedeschi, B. 2004. E-Commerce Report: New source of online ad revenue. [Online]. Available VVVL'V: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/16/technology/16ecom.html. [Accessed 10 September 2005].
- Telang, R., Mukhopadhyay, T. 2005. Drivers of web portal use. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications 4 (2005):49-65.
- Thurow, S. 2003. Search Engine Visibility. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing.
- Vaughn, J. 1999. Considerations in the choice of an Internet search tool. Library Hi Tech 17
- Wyse, J. E. 2004. Badly Off in All Directions: Geo-Placement of Small Enterprises by Web-Based Business Directories. International Joumal of Electronic Commerce 8 (4):145-159.
- Zahir, S., Doding, B., Hunter, M. G. 2002. Cross-cultural dimensions of Internet Portals. Internet Research: Electronic Networking and Policy 12