UK University Website Visibility - responding to the quirks of the crawler.
Plenary keynote at the Institutional Web Management Workshop, Reading, UK. 26 - 27 July.
Weideman, M. 2011. UK University Website Visibility - responding to the quirks of the crawler. Plenary keynote at the Institutional Web Management Workshop, Reading, UK. 26 - 27 July. Online: http://web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo/
Universities in general are large organizations, sometimes slow to respond to changing needs. The current student generation requires instant answers from digital media, and might base their decision of further studies on Internet search results.
It is generally accepted that mission-critical and other large websites need to be found by search engine crawlers to ensure that users can get to them. Much information is published on numerous fora, on the Internet and elsewhere, about attaining a high degree of website visibility. However, very little of this is based on research.
In this keynote, empirical research results will be used to highlight the important website visibility issues. A comparative study on some UK university websites will indicate where improvements can be made to increase their visibility to crawlers.
- Mbikiwa, F. & Weideman, M. 2006.  Implications of search engine spam on the visibility of South African e-commerce Web sites. South African Journal of Information Management: 8(4). December 2006. [Online], Available: www.web-visibility.co.za/0058-journal-article-2006-mbikiwa-weideman-search-engine-spam-e-commerce-visibility.html
- Weideman, M. & Chambers, R. 2005.  The application of best practice towards improving website visibility to search engines: an empirical pilot study. South African Journal of Information Management: 7(4). December 2005. [Online], Available: www.web-visibility.co.za/0059-journal-article-2005-weideman-chambers-best-practice-visibility-search-engines.html
- Weideman, M. 2005.  FOIOTI: An implementation of the conceptualist approach to Internet searching. South African Journal of Libraries and Information Science. 71(1):11-25. [Online], Available: www.web-visibility.co.za/0060-journal-article-2005-weideman-foioti-conceptualist-approach-internet-information-retrieval.html
- Weideman, M. 2009.  Web Design Based on Crawler Visibility, Human Usability and Logic Flow. Plenary Tutorial at The Fifth IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications (EuroIMSA 2009), Cambridge, UK.13 - 15 July. www.web-visibility.co.za/website-visibility-digital-library-seo
- Weideman, M. 2009.  Website Visibility-Quantifying Negative Search Engine Ranking Elements for Optimisation. Proceedings of The Fifth IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications (EuroIMSA 2009), Cambridge, UK., 79-85.13 - 15 July. www.web-visibility.co.za//0062-conference-paper-weideman-website-visibility-quantifying-negative-search-engine-ranking-elements.html