Website navigation architectures and their effect on website visibility - can search engines deliver on the promise?
Weideman, M. & Ngindana, M.W.
Proceedings of the SAICSIT Conference: Fulfilling the Promise of ICT. Stellenbosch, South Africa. 5 October.
Weideman, M. & Ngindana, M.W. 2004. Website navigation architectures and their effect on website visibility - can search engines deliver on the promise? Proceedings of the SAICSIT Conference: Fulfilling the Promise of ICT. Stellenbosch, South Africa. 5 October.
Search engines hold a promise of delivering relevant and useful information to the human user. The primary objective of this research project is to compare and report on different types of navigation schemes, their advantages and disadvantages, and the impact they have on the visibility of a webpage to a search engine crawler.
The primary conclusion reached is that navigation architecture used on a website does impact its visibility to a search engine crawler. The webpage designer should exercise care in choosing a navigation scheme. One option is to duplicate navigation schemes to please both human and crawler visitors, which could add to clutter and information overload. Finally, some areas for further research are identified.
- AGUILLO, I. 2000. A New generation of tools for search, recovery and quality evaluation of World Wide Web medical resources. Journal of Management in Medicine 14(3), 240-246.
- ALEXANDER, J. 2002. How to Choose Keywords Before They Skyrocket in Popularity Search Engines Workshop. http://www.searchenginesworkshops.com/articles/response.html.
- GREENOUGH, R., FAKUN, D., KAY, J. 2001. Development of a digital manual for a manufacturing system - a case study. Integrated Manufacturing Systems 12(6), 387-393.
- LIDE, R. and DAVID, M. 1999. Provant launches new e-commerce Web site, grows operating income 91.6% in 1Q. Lifelong Learning Market Report 4(11), 3-4.
- MURATA, T. 2003. Visualizing the structure of web communities based on data acquired from a search engine. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 50(5), 860-866.
- MUNAFO, R. 2002. Programming Languages: The Internet's current opinion at MROB. http://home.earthlink.net/`mrob/pub/lang_srom.html.
- NIELSEN, J. 2000. Designing Web Usability. New Riders, IN, USA.
- OLLINS, D. 2002. Professional Web Design - some good ideas for web design.
- RAO, S.S. 2000. E-commerce: The medium is the mart. New Library World 101(1154), 53-59. SULLIVAN, D. 2001. How Search Engines Work: How To Really Profit From SEO.
- TANSLEY, D. 2001. Create Dynamic Web Pages Using PHP and MySQL. Addison-Wesley, New York. THELWALL, M. 2000. Effective web sites for small and medium-sized enterprises. Journal of Small Business and
Enterprise Development 7(2), 28-35.
- THUROW, S. 2002. Search Engine Visibility Kit. http://www.searchenginesbook.com/presskit.html. WEATHERSA. 2004. South African Weather Service. http://www.weathersa.co.za/.
- WEIDEMAN, M. 2003. Payment for increasing website exposure in search engine results - technical and ethical
issues. In Proceedings of The 5th annual Conference on WWW Applications, Durban, South Africa, September
- WEIDEMAN, M. 2004. Ethical issues on content distribution to digital consumers via paid placements as opposed
to website visibility in search engine results. In Proceedings of ETHICOMP 2004, Syros, Greece, April 2004, Eds. Terrell Ward Bynum, Nancy Pouloudi, Simon Rogerson, Thomas Spyro, University of the Aegean, Syros Volume 2, 904-915.
- WHALEN, J. 2003. Search Engines Marketing vs Search Engines Optimization. http://www.searchengineguide.com/whalen/2003/0612-jwl.html.